TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone DIYed garage exhaust extraction?
Who.Me? Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Looking for some guidance / dos and don'ts for extracting exhaust fumes, so I can run the engine in the garage.

I've found a bunch of suppliers of tubes and fans designed for exhaust temperatures, but the proximity of my garage to our house and to our neighbours means that I need to consider smells as well as CO, so I figure I'll need some sort of filtration too.

Any recommendations for filters? (Carbon/charcoal?) Do I need mechanical extraction if I'm going to use a filter to avoid back-pressure due to the restriction, or is that not an issue?

I reckon I'll need to run the outlet 12 - 15 feet from the tailpipe to vent to clear air.

oprn Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:54 am

I just open the garage door for the duration.

Abscate Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:21 am

3 inch pvc under door and rags stuffed in to seal. Minimal back pressure , no smell, no temperature worries.

Who.Me? Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:58 am

oprn wrote: I just open the garage door for the duration.

Thanks. That's not a viable option in my case (adjacency to neighbour and I'd only be doing this during very cold weather, when I want to keep what little heat there is in the garage in there).

Abscate wrote: 3 inch pvc under door and rags stuffed in to seal. Minimal back pressure , no smell, no temperature worries.

OK, thanks for confirming on the backpressure.

It'll be nice to be able to do diagnostics without freezing.

Bonesberg55 Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:12 am

I've been watching Doc Martin since the beginning and they have never shown a winter scene so I made the assumption that it never gets that cold there.

finster Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:46 am

it doesn't they're just soft, they even have palm trees there! it's still t shirt weather up north until your beer freezes over 8)

APPLEGREENVW Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:16 am

They make a exhaust port,for garage doors.

calvinater Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:16 am

maybe checkout a cannibis growing set for a filter.

Who.Me? Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:36 am

finster wrote: it doesn't they're just soft, they even have palm trees there! it's still t shirt weather up north until your beer freezes over 8)

:lol: :lol: -6 here last night.

steve244 Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 am

That's centigrade. What is that kelvin?

Abscate Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:28 pm

It’s about 0F in the Kelivinator

Thanks for not saying “Kelvins”