TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiper motor wiring
NAZglen Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:51 am

70 Sedan...

I have four wires coming off of my wiper motor.
Black with a yellow stripe
Black with a purple stripe.
Brown.
Black.
I am guessing the black with yellow is high speed. Black with purple is low speed (or vice versa?).
Which is power? Black or Brown.
Then the other would be park?
I have connected a short brown wire from the ground tab on the motor to where it bolts to the body.

61SNRF Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm

There should be terminal numbers on both the motor and switch.
Use the wiring diagram to match up the wire colors and confirm correct connections;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1970_VW_Type_1_Poster.jpg

ashman40 Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:34 pm

See this link from Speedy Jim's site:
http://www.speedyjim.net/schem/wiper2.htm

I think it will answer your questions.

NAZglen Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:21 am

I am installing an aftermarket wiper switch. Two speeds. It also has a spring loaded knob. When you push the knob in, it powers a terminal on the switch to run a washer pump.

My wiper motor has four wires connected.
Black/purple and black/yellow must be low and hi speed.
I need to find out if the black wire is power ?
If the brown wire is "park" ?
Or vice versa ?

jeffrey8164 Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:26 am

Brown is ground

NAZglen Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:29 am

There is a male terminal on the wiper motor. Schematics show this should have a brown ground running to ground.
So the other brown is also a ground?

ashman40 Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:37 am

Have you read the link to Speedy Jim's site I posted above? Here is the diagram from that link:

You can see there are two brown wires coming off the box that represents the wiper motor...
#31b at the left which runs back to the wiper switch. This is a switched ground that is disconnected while the switch is ON and is grounded when the switch is turned OFF.

At the bottom of the wiper motor box is the brown ground wire #31. This grounds the wiper motor.

I found this pic which may not match your motor but it illustrates that the #31b is often along side the other male terminals that connect back to the switch while the #31 ground wire is usually conspicuous and separate.

Hope this helps.