TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '93 Cabrio Wolfsburg Fuel Gauge Sending Unit
Btfsplk Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:03 pm

Have others noticed that it seems it's virtually impossible to find replacement fuel gauge sending unit for '93 (and probably earlier) Cabriolet? Man did I search. Found some articles and instruction regarding cleaning up the original & rebuilding it for re-use, but mine showed no resistance change when moving the arm at all.

Found one company rebuilding vintage motorcycle sending units. They took a look at it, said they could do it, but suggested that I wait 3 months & then inquire again to see if I could get in line, send it in. They're too busy now.

Anyone find that good ones or new ones are virtually unavailable, or find a good source for good repair or rebuilding? Or a good source of new knock-offs or substitutes?

Butcher Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:47 am

You have a car that is 30 years old. If you intend to keep it, you will experience things like this. It's not just a VW thing. It's hard for a company to make old parts that would just sit on the shelf for years and never move. Poor business model, especially for a cheap car like a Cabriolet.

Many of us hoard parts. Shop eBay and Craigslist regularly for parts we do not need......yet.

Btfsplk Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:01 am

Thanks Butcher. I have been assuming that if someone found a substitute that would work, or a person or company producing knock-offs, I would have been able to find some discussion, marketing, or other promotion of that. So as you suggest, I will just keep watching and looking, and if I find one, grab it.

Butcher Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:29 am

I have a VW Pickup [aka POS]. The fuel gauge stopped working and it's a sending unit. It took me a couple years before I was able to source a new one. Lots of looking around for ways to fix it. I do have one, but to date, it has not reached the top of the to do list. Right now, I reset the odometer when I fill up I usually get concerned when I get to 350 miles. I know it's low on fuel. The longest I went was 400 miles.

volkybus Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:16 pm

On my 95 Jetta it's(fuel pump/gauge) is the same as s a 93eurovan whick I used
Maybe another one will fit.sometimrs we have to think outside the box. Good luck. Bill