TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What is the torque specs for the Gene Berg Pulley pictured?
steve n Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:25 pm

I'm looking for the proper torque spec for this pulley.

drumbum68 Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Berg speced 30- 75 ft lbs for various cranks.

Find a stock pulley bolt and washer and you can torque toward the upper end...

Stock would be 33 ft lbs.

bsairhead Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:39 pm

32 ft-lb same as stock

steve n Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:49 pm

Thanks!!

Glenn Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:17 pm

Gene Berg wrote: On genuine VW crankshafts, or ours, I torque to 70-75ft-lbs. Crankshafts made by other companies may only stand 47-50ft-lbs. Cast cranks should not go above 30-34ft-lbs.

steve n Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:16 pm

Thanks everyone, I set it at 50 lbs. I never had the torque specs from the guy who built the engine.

bsairhead Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:18 pm

steve n wrote: Thanks everyone, I set it at 50 lbs. I never had the torque specs from the guy who built the engine. So you know you have a forged crank.

steve n Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:20 pm

No I do not, but the 50 felt good. I'll go with it. It was built 5 years ago and specifically asked for a counter weighted crank.

bsairhead Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:25 pm

steve n wrote: No I do not, but the 50 felt good. I'll go with it. It was built 5 years ago and specifically asked for a counter weighted crank. Why did you ask?

steve n Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:31 pm

bsairhead, really? Don't be one of those guys. I asked a question it was answered, it is not a stock crank. I got good info, now thank you for your help and everyone else's. I feel good with transpired here and no need for someone to get all Facebookie. Have a good evening Bud.

bsairhead Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:56 pm

steve n wrote: bsairhead, really? Don't be one of those guys. I asked a question it was answered, it is not a stock crank. I got good info, now thank you for your help and everyone else's. I feel good with transpired here and no need for someone to get all Facebookie. Have a good evening Bud. Don't put this on me or the other respondents to your question. You asked a question. You ignored the answer. I wish you well or I would have said nothing.

steve n Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:42 pm

bsairhead, Thank you! Never was an issue Bud. Everything is good my man. I thought I said thank you. So, if I didn't...Thank you and everyone else. Life is good, working on these cars is weird sometimes. Berg has copyrighted instructions so I can't get it from their website, that is why I asked. Also there isn't anything in the forums I looked for. Anyways, have a good night. We are good. K? :D