TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear body mount question
halbug Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:32 pm

Maybe you Thing guys can help me?

I'm building a Karmann Ghia on what I believe is a late type 181 IRS pan. I don't know for sure, because it is a NOS spare part that was never used before and has no VIN. More details in my below build diary.

How is a Thing mounted to the pan onto the rear shock tower??? Where do the rubber pads go?

On bugs there is a threaded hole and the rubber pads go between the bolt head and one between body mount and shock tower. My shock tower has no threads, just a big hole :wink: So I will use a nut. But do I put another rubber pad between shock tower and nut? :roll:

Any hint is welcome.

Cheers

germansupplyscott Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:05 pm

There is a rubber on both sides of the body mount.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/thing_parts_manual/Type_181_Parts_Manual.pdf

Page 172.

halbug Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:38 am

Thanks allot! So Things also screw directly into the casting of the shock tower. Probably the same principle as in the bugs.

Interesting to see the use of the spacer.

Well, seems like I have some awkward pan here... I will have to use a nut and large washer from underneath the casting.

germansupplyscott Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:19 am

In the diagram Ithink the screw (AKA bolt) #11 is shown upside down. It threads from below, up into the boss on the body. The spacer allows everything to float on the chassis tower, yet be fastened securely. That's why the hole in the tower is so much larger than the screw. If that makes sense.

halbug Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:40 pm

Does the Thing have a threaded boss welded to the body in this area?

germansupplyscott Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:01 pm

Yes. It's a blind fastening.

halbug Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:23 am

A picture says more than 1000 words 8)

Perfect, thank you very much!