TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hummingbird tracker Page: 1, 2  Next
NJ John Tue May 02, 2023 6:32 am

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday, may 1st in northern Maryland. I heard they were in Virginia a few weeks ago, so I put my feeder out. I never saw any hummingbirds when I lived in Jersey. My Grandparents had them at their summer house in NE PA. I saw them in Peru and it was winter there. Still kinda warm.

baldessariclan Tue May 02, 2023 7:38 am

I've seen them up in south central Alaska (Prince William Sound) on occasion - summertime, of course.

madmike Tue May 02, 2023 7:52 am

They nest here,we only get the 'Ruby Throat' breed :wink:

Xevin Tue May 02, 2023 8:47 am

We have Anna's hummingbird all year in Portland, OR. We have a few that hang around the deck. Sometimes they face off with the cat looking out the window. Even though I see them frequently, I’m always fascinated.

This is a male Anna's hummingbird.

NJ John Tue May 02, 2023 8:58 am

Wow, all year!

busdaddy Tue May 02, 2023 9:21 am

There's 3 different kinds that stick around all year here as well, although you don't see many of the smaller brownish ones over winter. Climate change?, or lazy freeloaders?, keeping that feeder thawed was a major pain one week in January.

The Barn Swallows came back last week, the Violet Greens and Tree Swallows should be here any day.

NJ John Tue May 02, 2023 9:47 am

Maybe the Pacific Northwest is like England. Warmer or the winter than people realize. Unlike the northeast. Gulf Stream, axis, global warming…..?

oprn Tue May 02, 2023 11:10 am

Hummingbirds are rare here. Tree Swallows are back and fighting over the bird houses. Barn swallows are not expected for another week or so. Purple Martins mid May. Robins, bluebirds, meadowlarks, horned larks and all the hawks have been back for a while. Snow geese, Canada geese and Sandhill cranes moving through by the hundreds daily.

Great time of the year!

NJ John Tue May 02, 2023 11:17 am

Your Juncos (snowbirds) all left a week ago or so.

chickengeorge Tue May 02, 2023 12:39 pm

NJ John wrote: Maybe the Pacific Northwest is like England. Warmer or the winter than people realize. Unlike the northeast. Gulf Stream, axis, global warming…..?
Pacific Northwest weather is kind of bi-polar. It has a giant mountain range (Cascades) on the West end, so clouds from offshore bunch up and dump a crap load of rain and keep it warmer year round in Seattle and Portland. Like England, I guess. Once that dump happens, the clouds are few and far between as they move East. The middle of WA is a big desert. 300+ days of sunshine, but it's like high desert, so you get cold temps in winter. Spokane, where I live, is up against the Rockies, so we get snow and lots of it. We also get humming birds, but it's rare here. I see a lot of feeders, but very rarely the birds themselves.

This photo is literally the center of WA.

NJ John Tue May 02, 2023 3:19 pm

I just love watching all my bird feeders. There are so many types of birds around here. Chickadees, titmice, all kinds of finches, blue jays, cardinals, blue birds, nuthatches, car birds, owls, hawks, bald eagles and at least 4 types of wood peckers. I’m sure I left a bunch out, like the indigo blue bunting that passes through.

Xevin Tue May 02, 2023 4:03 pm

NJ John wrote: I just love watching all my bird feeders. There are so many types of birds around here. Chickadees, titmice, all kinds of finches, blue jays, cardinals, blue birds, nuthatches, car birds, owls, hawks, bald eagles and at least 4 types of wood peckers. I’m sure I left a bunch out, like the indigo blue bunting that passes through.

Hey John, you seem to like birds. Sorry to derail from hummingbirds.
This is a Portland tradition in September. The park becomes a big picnic party to watch Vaux’s Swifts. Occasionally a couple of Falcons separate a swift from the flock for dinner. It’s pretty remarkable.

Abscate Tue May 02, 2023 5:46 pm

Just moved to Long Island, north shore

Backyard so far

Chickadee
Titmouse
Mocking bird
Cow bird
House finch
Cardinal
Nuthatch
Starling
Crow
Osprey
Blue jay
Sparrow
Red headed woodpecker
Pileated wood pecker

NJ John Wed May 03, 2023 6:18 am

Cool on all birds. We have swifts around. Not in my yard though. I did leave out my wrens! My other house we had mocking birds. None here so far. Just it’s cousin the cat bird, that does mock as do the blue jays.
Oh yeah, I left out turkeys, too. It’s like watching a dinosaur walking up out of the woods. And down by the stream are sometime blue herons. I can’t stop talking about birds lol. Just don’t get me started on native fish!

ALLWAGONS Wed May 03, 2023 11:28 am

here in drought stricken So California, we have everything. Humming birds frequent our lush green garden everyday year round.

calvinater Wed May 03, 2023 2:15 pm

In Vermont , we are still alowed to shoot fish.

calvinater Wed May 03, 2023 2:17 pm

Ever see what they do in Italy with the Bertolian Warblers?

NJ John Thu May 04, 2023 6:17 am

calvinater wrote: Ever see what they do in Italy with the Bertolian Warblers?
Smothered in gravy and motz?

mark tucker Thu May 04, 2023 7:25 am

we have a few hear. not as many in years past. saw a small black one 3 days ago and a big one with red breast the day before, it came up to me about a foot away and looked me over real good then proceded to the flowers where one of the big floweres was quite large and it did not know what to do with it. it turned and looked at me again like wtf? is this a trap? then went to smaller ones. then the Greater Blue Herron caught a nice snake and gobbled it down in 2 sections after making 2 pieces out of it. the chickadees are singing, mocking birds are mocking,bluejays are quiet this time of year for some reason. cardnials are singing too. and the hawks are picking off what ever they want when there hungry. no wood peckers yet. sparows are always around. house rens hear and there. and doves doing what they doo. and the guy shooting the squirls with spring powered bb gun for fun...

jinx758 Thu May 04, 2023 7:43 am

Hummingbird Tracker ...

Must be a very tiny device as I can't imagine them not being able to get any lift. Lol

Back in the day my stepmom would go thru a gallon of "nectar" in 2days between 2 feeders. She melted sugar in water with drops of red food coloring. This was deep in the Texas Hill Country.
Was very cool to stand still near the feeder & watch them.
Every few years there were stragglers that did not leave to migrate south (sick, old, or ?). Always wondered if they prolonged the inevitable.

Fascinating creatures.

Fond memories ... stay safe

jinx