TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Carb and Manifold Source for 2.1L?
Sean S Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:55 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone know where to find/buy intake manifolds that fit the 2.1L waterboxer motor?

Many Thanks
Sean

mightyart Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:26 pm

Carb kit for that engine might be real hard to find, if one is available for it at all.

edgy Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:57 pm

How will you close openings for injectors? I think I have the air distributer and injectors for a 1.9 if they are the same. I also have the air controller that is attached to the air cleaner.

Randy in Maine Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:18 pm

Are you having FI problems? Like what is happening?

Sean S Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:54 am

Ooops, I thought I had this set to email me if I got responses...guess not, so sorry for the delay.

The reason I need carbs is because I'm planning on replacing a blown 1600 with a waterboxer 2.1 in a sandrail.

Carbs are just a much simpler retrofit (in theory).

I thought the euro-models were still running carbs? At least I thought I read that somewhere. I also read in a post below that someone was talking about how to *go back* to FI.

Anyway, just wanted to play with a waterpumper and I have one available, but FI is too complex for this kind of toy.

Many Thanks
Sean

tristessa Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:09 pm

A set of Bug D/P intakes should physically bolt on, but the port shapes are different. WBX intake ports are rather rectangular, Bug ports (when stock) are round. If you get manifolds with enough "meat" around the ports you should be able to gasket-match them to the heads and take care of it..

HTH

mjamgb Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:02 pm

I think the FI is simpler. Just gut the entire system out of the donor car and go for it.

Mike!

wayoutjake Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:14 pm

I can see why you would want carbs on a sandrail, but the same logic (in my mind) would make me want an aircooled for a rail.

Anyway...
I have seen carbs for Wasserboxer here:
http://www.ahnendorp.com/van1.html

Let us know how this works!

I have been hanging on to a set of Weber 40's that I had on my last Type 2.. I have a fantasy about putting them on my boxer!