TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mercedes Turbo Diesel 5 cylinder in Vanagon
asnowsquall Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:39 am

Hello!
Just got a 1984 Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel over a month ago and love it. Going to run it on Waste Veggie Oil at some point. Was wondering if anyone knows somebody or has seen a Vanagon with this Mercedes 5 cylinder TD motor (617). I think Kennedy makes an adapter plate, I'm just wondering how it fits. I know that the TDI is a popular upgrade, but I like the Mercedes all mechanical setup. From what I've seen this motor is built like a tank. Think it would be cool to have a Veggie Vanagon with MB power and reliablitity. I welcome all thoughts both + and -.
Looks like we have twins on the way which will make 3 kids and I might like more room.
Dave in Vermont

weinerwagen Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:40 am

I have never personally seen a 5 banger MB in a Vanagon, but I always thought, considering my experience behind the wheel of big rigs, why I could not adapt a small 4 cylinder Cat or Detroit Diesel engine, couple it to an automatic, change the final drive from that ultra low 4:56 to something in the low 2's....

There are some excellent 4 cylinder diesel engines which run at lower RPM's FOREVER...with an automatic trans,... :roll:

About 20 years back, I met a civilian engineer at Vandenburg Air Force Base near Lompoc, Cal. This guy had taken a 3 cylinder Kubuta tractor engine, (air cooled), and mounted it in the rear of a 64 Bug. It was quite a neat setup, never knew what happened to him or his Bug. :shock:

I guess if you got room to get that 5 banger MB in the back of a van, work out the details of the oil pan, then probably there is no reason one could not adapt a V-12 Detroit Diesel 2 stroker....anything is possible.

I bet that MB engine would be a cool deal! Does Kennedy also include a pair of wheelie bars??????? :roll: I'd like to see one, hide the check book from me, but I'd love to see a completed van.

Randy in Maine Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:17 pm

Weight might be a problem. The MB engine is pretty heavy with the cast iron block and head. It weighs a lot. Bullet proof though.

Have you checked out the Sprinter by MB? Both UPS and FedEx are going for it big time. In Europe you can get the Westy Edition I think it is called the Captain Cook?

pogonip Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:31 pm

My concern would be how tall the 617 is. The other would be finding a good motor with reasonable miles on it. It's really hard to find a pre 85 non trap catalyst motor with less that 200k on. The 617 is a oilly pig whe the get high miles on them. The only way to kill them is to run them low/out of oil. They are $$$$$ money to rebuild.
If your set on benz 5 cylinder check out a 2.5 turbo from a 190d 86-88 or 124 e300d.
they are low mantaince have great power and are tad smaller.

Doe's any one know if Audi made a 5 clyninder turbo diesel back in the 80's ?

pogonip Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:35 pm

Benz has brought the Sprinter into the U.S. as of 2004 badged as a Dodge and Frieghtliner. SUPER SLICK! Its the lasted crazy in van conversions/motorhomes.

www.daimlerchrysler.ca/CA/04/EN/DODGE/1,,CA-04-EN-DODGE-SPRINTER,.html

blankmange Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:55 am

why not the turbodiesel 5 that VW made for the Eurovan?

Karl Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:01 pm

From the bottom of the front sump to the top of the valve cover, the 617 engine is 29 1/2" tall.
You cannot lay this engine on its side. The oil pump pickup is not movable.

Alan Brase Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:30 pm

There is a turbo and non- turbo version of the 5 cylinder diesel used in Audi 5000's from about 79 to 85 or so. turbo version in the US only in 1982, I think. Pretty neat motors, just a 5-cylinder version of the 1.6, but with a couple of improvements. They are 2.2 liters, the turbo is 85 hp, I think.
A few people have put them in Vanagons. probably just used South African 5 cylinder bellhousing and flywheel.
May be getting a little hard to find out there in u-pull-it land. Unfortunately I let 2 slip by a few years ago.
Al
69 doublecab, 82 Diesel Vanagon, others

asnowsquall Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:38 pm

At 29 1/2" tall, how high would it go into the van, how high would the engine cover have to be to cover it? Would it be dragging on the ground? I don't have a van yet. It is a heavy engine, and I'm not ure if it would be trouble when it comes time for inspection due to the lack of emissions. Maybe it could be registered as something custom....
Just getting ideas for now. May never happen. Maybe I'll just find a Benz diesel wagon.