TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: mufflers...
Farmers Fight Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:37 pm

my baja has a stinger exhaust (think thats what its called. points up). i want to be able to drive this around town, but i went to get it inspected today (Texas), and it wont pass because no muffler :cry: so do i have to get a whole new exhaust system or is there anything i can to to make it legal? thanks for any advice

69 blackout baja Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:42 pm

they have baja quiet packs with a muff 20to30bucks
and you can always put the stinger back on.

69 blackout baja Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:48 pm

i have a new quiet pack. it wouldnt fit with my cage so i left my stinger on.
i'll be in El Paseo on tues. do you live near by???

Farmers Fight Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:25 pm

hehe, anyone ever got a ticket for having no muffler? and how much was it?

I live in Bryan/College Station, quite a ways from you. thanks anyways though

[email protected] Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:34 pm

Farmers Fight wrote: my baja has a stinger exhaust (think thats what its called. points up). i want to be able to drive this around town, but i went to get it inspected today (Texas), and it wont pass because no muffler :cry: so do i have to get a whole new exhaust system or is there anything i can to to make it legal? thanks for any advice

Are they just not passing it cause of no muff or is it gonna turn into a whole emissions thing?

do you have a baffle in it? if not you should ask if that will suffice. If so I don't think I have ever paid more than 10 bucks for one for either the flared or Tri-mil style. If that wont pass: if its the Tri-mill style (uses springs to hold it on-slip fit) you could buy the U-bend and a muff or see if they will allow a "spark arrestor" either way its pretty cheap. If its the modular type exhaust (2 or 3 bolt flange holding a flared stinger on), verify which unit it is and buy the bolt on muff for it.

Farmers Fight Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:17 pm

its just because i dont have a muffler- thank goodness i dont have to mess with emissions stuff. I have a tri-mill trype (learned something from you, thanks!) so i will see if they will go for the baffles.

keith

waynebak Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:45 pm

You have the right to make them check your sound level. If your under the legal level, than you shouldnt need to have a muffler, expecially if there is no emissions bs.

k29349@yahoo Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:13 pm

Farmers Fight wrote: hehe, anyone ever got a ticket for having no muffler? and how much was it?

I live in Bryan/College Station, quite a ways from you. thanks anyways though

2275cc with open stinger = $50.00 ticket 8)

KDF Baja Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:41 pm

yeah i think all you would need is a little slip in baffle, jcwhitney has them, and im sure a lot of other suppliers, if not all that sell trimills, sell them for near $10

8wr_Buggy_of_Doom Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:22 pm

i was on the beach in Louisiana. The newly posted speed limit was 15. I was doing 97. i had to try out the pipes(headers turned upside down and back wards with 4inch tip) on the V8 manx. No ticket b/c i let the sheriff drive my car. Lets say he had a smile when he got out. It's great they let me do what i want now. We have been having a camp on the beach for 45 years now so its all good. He said he was goin to give me all kinds of citations but thanks god i got out of it.

UncleBob Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:39 pm

8wr_Buggy_of_Doom wrote: i was on the beach in Louisiana. The newly posted speed limit was 15. I was doing 97. i had to try out the pipes(headers turned upside down and back wards with 4inch tip) on the V8 manx. No ticket b/c i let the sheriff drive my car. Lets say he had a smile when he got out. It's great they let me do what i want now. We have been having a camp on the beach for 45 years now so its all good. He said he was goin to give me all kinds of citations but thanks god i got out of it.

The V-8 Manx is done? I thought you just started on it and had issues with your Uncles welding? (screwing up the rear torsion.)

How 'bout some pics? I tried getting over to Shoptalk to find some, but Shoptalk seems to be down.

8wr_Buggy_of_Doom Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:57 pm

well the motor(stock 302)works and the body is done. It took us a weekend to get the new frame horns in place and and get the tranny mounted and build the links to hold the 3x3 in place. We had the rollbar in the car mounted and semi built to hold the motor. I did not have my king shocks on, they ran into delays and said it would be another 2 weeks before i would see them. I made some temp. shock mounts to use normal socks and some springs on it. I had a lap belt, small tach and universal ingition. i used the tires off of my brothers bug 31x11.50's. We just stuck a radiator on the roll bar (not where it will go) and had some fun for a few hours. This was all after the storm Ivan came in and the beach was perfectly smooth. Good time too see if the frame would hold. No jumping dunes and i didn't push it to hard, 97 mph @ 3800 rpm. I would have taken some digital pictures but i lost the camera. sorry.
future plans consists of Gettin shocks
Gettin my afr heads in from afr(3-6 weeks)
Bore motor put new cam in rings yada yada yada
new intake and carb
new wheels/tires
all new gauges
and other things.
Yes it works it is now about 60 percent done now is just making it pretty and functional.