TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon/Westy shocks
Wellington Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:15 am

What are the best shocks to install on an 85 Westy, KYB, Boge, Bilstein ?

weinerwagen Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:31 am

:D In my humble opinion, KYB....the ride is solid but not jarring. The cost is reasonable and failure rate has been nil...

DanJReed Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:48 pm

I second the KYBs. Cost/and install is cheap and easy.

I just would not use the KYB upper front shock mount. I had to go back to the OEM style due to a clunk in the front end I got with the KYB unit.

But other than that - they are great!

Methanolab Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:43 pm

Anyone tired the cofaps (coflaps or whatever) in the bargain bin at bus depot? Nice price but the KYB are cheap too and if they are much better they may be worth it.

Dan J Reed: What do you mean you had to go back to the stock mount? Did you take it off the stock shock or did you have to buy a new one? I am imagining a bushing in the end of the shock or something.

DanJReed Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:03 am

Quote: What do you mean you had to go back to the stock mount? Did you take it off the stock shock or did you have to buy a new one? I am imagining a bushing in the end of the shock or something.

The top of the shock mount on the front shocks is like a rubber disk with a hole in it. The KYB one is a little to small, I reused the one I had on the OEM shock. It requires no tools or modding to do this.

(From - http://volksweb.relitech.com/frshocks.htm)

That's the part I'm talking about.

I'd pass on the Cofaps - They are stock trash IMHO.

Methanolab Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Dan...
Your the man.

Thanks for the pic. :P I'd do the same.

BeetleBug Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:31 pm

Question;

I just bought an 86 GL and I have a knocking noise when I go over small bumps. Do you think I am missing the rubber boots or something totally different. Forgive me I am new at this kind of stuff.

My mechanic put it up on the lift and we could not find anything obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DanJReed Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:33 am

^

Yes, that is the sound it makes with the KYBs. If you have recently put new shocks in up front - switch back to the OEM upper shock washer and bushing.

Unless I did it myself, I would have never believed that it would change any sound - but it does!!

BeetleBug Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:20 pm

Thanks Dan,

My mechanic looked at them and said they were too small. I think he is ordering the OEM ones and hopefully that will fix the noise.

My wife and I are loving our Vanagon and were talking about buying a second one. She said then we could name them Rattle and Clank....LOL.

Deaffy Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:16 am

Wellington wrote: What are the best shocks to install on an 85 Westy, KYB, Boge, Bilstein ?

I have the Alko shocks that Bus Depot sells on a Westy. These coupled with Carat springs makes for a pleasant and nicely controllable ride.

Also have Gabriel shocks (PO installed) on a Vanagon, and they seem to be decent as well.

Wellington Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:05 am

Please explain what Carat springs are. I know there was a special edition called the Carat, but how do these springs differ. Are these the same as "lowered springs"?

Deaffy Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:02 am

Carat edition Vanagons were introduced in the 1989 model year, and provide about a 1-1.5" drop compared to the stock Vanagon springs. This will vary a bit depending on the condition of your suspension.

H&R also makes Vanagon lowering springs (sold via Tire Rack among others), and I believe CIP1 sells a Vanagon lowering kit for <$200.