TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Jump seat in a westy?
Kevkat Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:07 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first Westy for my growing family. I need to accomodate 3 small kids in the back but don't want to give up the sink and stove. Can I get a jumpseat to fit behind the front passenger seat and strap a carseat in that one? Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Brown

mightyart Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:51 am

Yes you can get one out of a Vanagon Weekender at a junkyard. I think there is a kit. Might take a little research, but I know it has been done.
look in The Samba Classifieds under Vanagon parts for sale for starters.

jeremysmithatshawdotca Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:20 pm

I've also seen pictures of a vanagon westie with just a single forward facing middle seat attached to factory floor rails beside the sink cabinet, though I like the jumpseat set up myself. In my families' experience, we don't use the sink at all when camping, and we could get by without the stove and fridge, so we'd be pretty happy with an 87 or later carat or wolfsburg weekender (2 jump seats!). If you went for an older carat/wolfsburg westie 84 or so to 86, they come with a jumpseat behind the driver's seat, and you could try to find a stove fridge unit from a 74/75 bay to put behind the passenger seat.

Jeremy