TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pitted Head-Picture Please!
[email protected] Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:25 pm

I am looking at the heads that came with the engine I bought and I can't figure if they are "pitted" or not. The sealing surface looks flat, a bit discolored but I think it the heads are ok and usable.
Could somebody send me a picture of a bad and pitted head or point me towards a website showing a bad head?

Thanks, Neal

[email protected]

mightyart Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:21 pm

If they are pitted you'd know it, check all mating surfaces, if they are smooth they should be all right. If it looks like water can get by, well it probably can.

earthmuffin Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:55 pm

Here is a little info that might help.

http://pages.infinit.net/engine/head_check.htm

weinerwagen Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:09 pm

I've had several sucessfully re-surfaced. Might up the compression a bit, but the right shop who knows what they are doing can clean up that head nicely.... :D

Karl Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:50 pm

I was in the Stockton, Calif Pick n Pull this afternoon and looked at a 1.9 wasserboxer engine that someone removed and partially disassembled.
One head was off. It appeared to be brand new. It was purty.....
Granted, this was a recent <ughh> GEX exchange engine but that head was nice.

I just play with aircooled engines so I have no interest in it. If someone needs it, you should grab it. It is the only Vanagon in the yard. Not sure about the other head, it was still on the engine. The engine is sitting in the cargo area of the bus.

fatboypaul Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:45 pm

This guy has a pretty imformative explaination with pictures of the whole regasketing procedure...... just did my own gaskets and apart from not putting the pushrods in properly, it wasn't hard at all, however I've only driven a few miles so far,
http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1/westy/id36.htm
Good luck, Paul.

[email protected] Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Judging from the pictures and other info, I have two perfectly usable heads,...Yippeeee!!!!!!

One thing was baffling, one exhaust valve had a shorter stem by about 3/8 inch. Can't figure why anybody would install the wrong valve.
When I first took the valve cover off I suspected something serious lurking inside and it was a bitch to compress the valve spring far enough to get the keepers out.

Neal