TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How many of you were BMX'ers? Something you should know...!! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
staceyz Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:02 pm

I was just cleaning out some of my old stuff my parents saved from when I was a teenager, and found a box of about 50 old BMX magazines from 1982-1986, BMX Action, BMX Plus... etc. I didn't want them.. so I put them on Ebay and they brought in $700!!! More cash for the 23 window project!! \:D/

And to think.. I was about to throw them into recycling...!! Start digging through those boxes...!

plasticman1432 Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:29 pm

It never fails to amaze me what some people will pay for stuff we're willing to toss in the trash. I can't wait to sort all of my old car mags after my move is complete.

My grandma always used to say 'one man's trash is another man's treasure.' Ebay(and other sites) have allowed us to look farther for that 'other man.'

kakarottt Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:47 pm

i used to ride bmx/street a couple years ago.. it has been one of my aspirations to get back into it..

obus Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:52 am

i used to constantly have my bike in the dirt. problem was my folks were too poor to buy me a good one so i had a cheap bike! i went through them like crazy. should have just bought me one good one! as far as mags go, i usually sell my previous years hot vws, vw trends and vw world mags at my swap spot each year. i only charge a buck for the U.S. ones and 2 bucks for the Brit one. kind makes me fel like i am helping towards the subscription costs.

chickengeorge Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:32 pm

I used to have this crazy mongoose my parents got me. Anybody seen one? It's just like a 20" BMX but the head and center posts were stretched up for a taller kid. It was all chrome and Blue anodized. Bad ass. Wish I still had it. :(

DaveM Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:31 pm

I had an NOS redline gooseneck and white nut cracker pad that fetched over $150 a few years ago on ebay... a pair of shimano cranks and old school pedals only got around $35... go figure. I did bmx from '78 to 81. I wish I had my old DG racer now. :cry:

ToolBox Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:31 pm

chickengeorge wrote: I used to have this crazy mongoose my parents got me. Anybody seen one? It's just like a 20" BMX but the head and center posts were stretched up for a taller kid. It was all chrome and Blue anodized. Bad ass. Wish I still had it. :(

Moosegoose

crofty Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:11 pm

I wish I still had my nickel plated Redline with the square rear frame. It had araya rims and bullseye hubs too!

At least I still have my Star Wars early bird action figures and a few other things.

Enkiel Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:24 pm

my oldest thing would be my Transformer or my Lego.... earlie '80s

doubt its worth anything more then some memories

DaveM Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:47 pm

crofty wrote: I wish I still had my nickel plated Redline with the square rear frame. It had araya rims and bullseye hubs too!

At least I still have my Star Wars early bird action figures and a few other things.

I tpp had bullseye hubs and bottom bracket...

crofty Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:05 pm

DaveM wrote: crofty wrote: I wish I still had my nickel plated Redline with the square rear frame. It had araya rims and bullseye hubs too!

I tpp had bullseye hubs and bottom bracket...

I'm thinking of getting rid of the Star Wars figures but I wish I still had the redline.

chickengeorge Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:30 pm

ToolBox wrote: chickengeorge wrote: I used to have this crazy mongoose my parents got me. Anybody seen one? It's just like a 20" BMX but the head and center posts were stretched up for a taller kid. It was all chrome and Blue anodized. Bad ass. Wish I still had it. :(

Moosegoose

Awesome! Your totally rad dude :D

kakarottt Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:53 pm

saved up myself for a dyno vfr.. this was only about 7 years ago..

http://bmx2.20m.com/pix/1997/frank_12ftr.gif

had to get the one with the flames.

crofty Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:25 pm

kakarottt wrote: saved up myself for a dyno vfr.. this was only about 7 years ago..

http://bmx2.20m.com/pix/1997/frank_12ftr.gif

had to get the one with the flames.

7 years ago I had already sold of my lowriderbikes! LOL Cool photo though.

jerry.t Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:23 pm

chickengeorge wrote: ToolBox wrote: chickengeorge wrote: I used to have this crazy mongoose my parents got me. Anybody seen one? It's just like a 20" BMX but the head and center posts were stretched up for a taller kid. It was all chrome and Blue anodized. Bad ass. Wish I still had it. :(

Moosegoose

shit, i still remember the girls that rode those things, had there pigy tails flappin in the wind and shit.

ToolBox Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:04 pm

crofty wrote:
7 years ago I had already sold of my lowriderbikes! LOL Cool photo though.

Shit, 7 years ago I bought my first full carbon road bike.

DaveM and I probably have bikes older than most of you. The oldest BMX frame set I have is a 26 year old Red Line standard.

marklaken Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:13 pm

i think i had a gt performer...all white with pink graphics and mags and an odysy gyroscope?, a chrome mongoose Team or Special? and the quickest, a Robinson something or other...chrome with blue and red graphics...all three were stolen :(

my dream bmx was the pk ripper...heavy as a tank with a landing gear fork...think i really just liked the name and the price was so hi that it just seemed to be a good dream bike...

and the BMX mags i ditched along with my GI-Joes and Transformers at a garage sale so i could get an RC-10...man i was in seventh heaven when i got that thing...i think i ended up trading the RC-10 for a couple dime bags...that's where i found eight heaven and then hell when i got caught in eigth heaven...

DaveM Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:55 pm

marklaken wrote: <snip>...all three were stolen :( <snip>

Just before I left for college, I found some kid whos mother was going to buy my DG for about $100. I had over $600 into it but all I wanted at that time was college tuition money. A friend gave me some cheap three piece cranks that I swapped off the good shimano cranks with and rode it around the block to test it out before the kid got it the next day. When I got off from work that evening the bike was stolen. Nothing from my parents porch (including the bike) had ever been stolen. Fine with me in the end however as the insurance paid me about $500 for my loss.

... but now I wish I still had it.

marklaken Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:01 pm

bmx bike tended to disappear in my neighborhood...of course coming home and ghost ridding it across the front yard while running inside to watch thundercats or he-man didn't help....

chickengeorge Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:18 pm

jerry.t wrote: chickengeorge wrote: ToolBox wrote: chickengeorge wrote: I used to have this crazy mongoose my parents got me. Anybody seen one? It's just like a 20" BMX but the head and center posts were stretched up for a taller kid. It was all chrome and Blue anodized. Bad ass. Wish I still had it. :(

Moosegoose

shit, i still remember the girls that rode those things, had there pigy tails flappin in the wind and shit.

Must've been some big ole girls. I needed the extra height cause I was born as tall as you are now. :D