TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cat Converter Question
xtern0 Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:05 pm

Hey all,

The exhaust was finally beyond repair, so I ordered a complete new exhaust system from vanagain (kicking myself for not ordering from busdepot, cost me about 30% more at vanagain).

Anyhoo, the cat converter vanagain sent me has a O2 sensor hole in it. As I needed this thing running quick, I simply used a plumbing plug with some JB Weld as locktight to plug the hole for now. So am I out $130 ($99 if I had bought from busdepot), or will it be OK for the longrun? The cat has more can than the original (that is, it has more stuff inside). Looking at the Bentley, it looks like they sent me a cat for a digifant engine, NOT an aircooled '82, everything else matches up perfect tho.

Will my plug fix do the trick for a few years, or should I get moving, order the proper cat converter from someone else, and write this off as a complete loss?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

X:robot:

ProvoCyclist Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:13 pm

hey x-dude, i got a new cat too, and it had the hole. i went down to the FLAPS and bought a oil drain plug, and stuck it in, it works great, and hasnt loosend or anything yet. Sorry, but i dont know the thread size :(

Hopw this helps

Clark

mightyart Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Yes that is the wrong cat. your O2 sender plug comes before the cat. (CA models had O2 sensors, federal models had the hole with a plug). I'd be worried that by being bigger it would be more restrictive. If you need to get it inspected, try it and worry about it afterwards. Might hold up if the JB Weld don't melt. I have an 81 and as of Jan. it will be exempt from emissions inspection, just have to have a basic safety inspection. I'm going with the one piece exhaust, I just discovered a hole in the muffler.
http://www.busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=51787

xtern0 Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:23 pm

:( Emissions, that's why I'm stuck with the stock setup for at least another 2 years.:-({|=

Once it gets old enough, I plan to ditch all the extraneous crap. Until then, I don't want to chance it, failing emissions because of exhaust leaks is a MAJOR pain, plus, it gets noted on the vehicle title record.

Thanks for both replies. Wish I had thought of the oil drain plug, that sounds like it would have been a hell of a lot better fix than what I did. I guess if the JB Weld melts, I'll take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it for real.

I just deleted, after reviewing and rereading, an entire treatise on the incompentence and lack of foresight of the vendor I ordered my exhaust kit from. Since its XMas time, I will instead post my preferred vendor list:

1. GoWesty: If they have what you need, it'll cost more, but they're fast, friendly, accurate, and its nicely packed. Worth the extra dough.
2. Busdepot: Man, this guy has EVERYTHING and you can order online! Slow delivery time, but hey, the stock is worth the extra time. Oh, and the price is always right!
3. Bus-boys: I love these guys, I truly do. Knowledgable, courteous, etc. However, I can't easily and quickly order online. Once that changes, these guys might just end up being the cream of the crop. They seem to be a bit pricey, which is strange considering the early '80s style ordering system, but hey, not everyone's a webmaster.

Rocknrod Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:54 pm

Your JB weld plug should work...

I would have gone to the junkyard and grabbed a bunch of 02 sensors... just find the manufacturer and basic size... they try to standardize the guts!

8)

mjamgb Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:03 pm

No worries with the JB weld. It ain't gonna melt!

Larger Cat will give less restriction but may not "light off" as fast so your "cold" emissions will be higher for longer.

Mike!

xtern0 Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:59 pm

XMas Favorite Vendor List update...

1. Busdepot - I don't know what happened, but these guys are shipping within 15 hours of placing an order! They're beating gowesty hands down.
2. Gowesty.com
3. Bus-Boys

X :robot:

mightyart Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:34 am

You can get just about everything bus depot has right in town at V-Dub Folks. and not cheap autozone junk, good quaility german parts. One day UPS shipping at regular ground price. two weeks ago I got a voltage regulator, busdepot 56.00, V-dub 37.00, got it next day 5.00 shipping.
Plus if you need it real quick you call, then you can go pick it up, they are in Irving, TX
http://www.vdubfolks.com/index.php

xtern0 Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:20 pm

FYI: The JBWeld did not hold on the exhaust. Lost the plug I used. In frustration when down to Pepboys and bought a $19.95 Generic O2 Sensor to use as a plug.

mightyart Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:52 pm

Xterno, did you pass inspection?

Randy in Maine Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:01 pm

Side question:

Does your bus even have something to hook up the O2 sensor to? I was thinking that only the CA lamda control FI models had that capability (to read the output of the O2 sensor in order to "lean out" the engine based on the output of the O2 sensor). Is that correct?

My new cat came with another hole in the cat for another O2 sensor that I blocked off with a bolt with 14mm x 1.5mm threads that I had laying around the shop. (Actually it was an oversized oil drain plug from my Jeep pickup). Has worked so far. I put some anti-sieze on it just in case.

mjamgb Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:36 pm

14 x 1.5 mm is the lug bolt size... FYI

Interesting mental image, lol!

Mike!

xtern0 Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:07 am

Don't have to worry about inspection until April, I'll let you know how it goes...

Mine does appear to have the O2 Sensor wire with a plug laying across the top of the engine, however, I haven't bothered to actually locate the O2 Sensor itself, I'll probably do that tomorrow when I replace my shift linkage bushings.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted as to how my inspection turns out, however, I don't plan on taking it to any "reputable" shops, if you know what I mean. My wife is Mexican and speaks fluent Spanish, so I'll be bringing her, a six pack of Corona, and a spare $50 bill to Jose's Inspection station come April...works every time.

Randy in Maine Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:15 am

If your bus is set up for an O2 sensor, it nees that O2 signal to tell th ECU to lean out the mixture. Have them weld in a O2 bung on the "in side" of the cat and plug that sensor back in. The motor will run better with it all hooked up.

mightyart Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:55 am

I didn't have any "friends" at any inspection stations, but it can be a good thing :wink: One thing I noticed was that The only thing that said what year the Westy was the insurance card I gave the guy.
I don't think he really even looked at it, he asked and I told him. If yours was to become an 81 "somehow" in April well it's 12.00 for a safety inspection. I won't even get into how much it sucked trying to pass emmisions when it was just the CO off, and In three months it wouldn't matter. One reason I asked also is I have one of these:
http://www.busdepot.com/busdepot/details.jsp?partnumber=021251541
I ordered it when I first got the van and forgot about it, I they use it on Canadian buses, brand new, still has the stickers in it, $20.00 it's yours. I don't need it now.
Here ya go being in a good mood this morning for no good reason.
I will do this in the sprit of Jeff Foxworthy
If you have an O2 Sensor.... You may have a CA Model
If you have an Idle stablizer....You may have a CA Model
If you only have one heat exchanger on the Pass side...You may have a CA Model
If the CAT is mounted where the other heat exchanger should be....You may have a CA Model
If you have stock electronic ignition.....You may have a CA Model
If you have a hall sending unit....You may have a CA Model
There are a few more odds and ends but those are the biggies.

mjamgb Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:32 pm

The wire on top of your engine not connected to anything may be the TDC sensor for factory tune-ups.

Mike!

xtern0 Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:57 am

I think you're right about the wire. Regardless, if there is an O2 Sensor, its higher up on the exhaust. The whole O2 Sensor topic came up because Vanagain sent me a California Cat Converter, instead of the regular one. So I had to plug the O2 Sensor hole with a new O2 Sensor! It's the little sh*t like that that pisses me off...

Haven't got around to searching for the sensor yet...school's started back up, so time has once again become valuable. :(