TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bzz... oil light
CObaked Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:39 pm

hey yall...ive got an 86 syncro

so after all the driving, that buzzzzzing coming on when i drop below 2k rms is real annoying! lol. the oil temp light comes on with it. I have talked to several friends and all i ever hear is that there is nothing i can do about it. i took aparth the dash and tried to find where the buzzing was coming from, thinking i can tape around it or somehting to make it quiet, with no success.

my questions be:
-is this actually a common problem, or were they just clueless.
-and what can i do about it?

thanks in advance!

b

Tram Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:23 pm

First, replace BOTH oil sending units. This is the most common culprit. There's one by the filter, and one by the main crank pulley thats a c***sucker to get out.
This will fix most of them. If the problem still persists, VW carries a replacement printed circuit that goes in the instrument clustre to replace the faulty one. The same goes for ALL VWs and Audis with the dynamic oil pressure warning system.

By the way, I've NEVER seen this being due to an actual engine problem, in over 30 years of being a tech. It COULD happen, but it isn't likely.
Hope this helps.

CObaked Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:34 am

thanks tram...ill try that.

skimballc Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:19 pm

You might actually have low oil pressure, imagine that! Put some 20w50 in there. And you can easily install an aftermarket electrical oil pressure gauge in place of that crappy circuit for accuracy and peace of mind.

CObaked Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:33 pm

skimballc wrote: You might actually have low oil pressure, imagine that!
hehe, no way! ok...i went with 10-50 when i just did the oil change...even in the cold would 20-50 be better? assuming its synthetic.

joemac Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:29 pm

My friend's turned out to be a bad connection at the plug next to the engine. See the other thread on the same subject. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90539

Tram Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:10 pm

CObaked wrote: skimballc wrote: You might actually have low oil pressure, imagine that!
hehe, no way! ok...i went with 10-50 when i just did the oil change...even in the cold would 20-50 be better? assuming its synthetic.

No. See the thread about the blown oil cooler seal. If your oil pressure is really low, you could put gear oil in it and it'll STILL be low when it gets to op temp. Thicker oil isn't going to cure a mechanical problem.
The real sign of true low OP causing the problem is very noisy lifters that won't pump up.

skimballc Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:35 pm

Firs you say you've never seen it to be an engine problem, now you suggest it could be a mechanical problem. Without an actual measurement of oil pressure we don't know if this is an electrical or mechanical problem. I once followed the sage advice of many Vanagon mechanics by replacing the 10w40 in my high mile 1.9 with 20w50 and the problem was solved.
Try the easy stuff first. Or you really need to hook up a gauge and figure out the real oil pressure, not disconnect your electrical warning system or try to ignore it. All waterboxers are on the inevitable road towards Rebuild, no reason to hasten it along, blown oil cooler seals included.

60kombi Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:46 am

I had a similar problem with my 87' syncro. Ended up being a pinched wire at one of the senders. Fixed the wire and it fixed the buzzzzzzzz.

Mike

CObaked Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:26 pm

there was a loose wire at the sensor...but that dunt fix it :roll: ill drain it and throw some 20-50 in it tomorrow and maybe that will buy me some more time.

....while we are on the subject of the inevitable rebuild :( i have a ticking that is very loud when my wbxer is first fired up...once it get to temp it stops. i am assuming this is the lifters? not much i can do for that to buy me some more miles in this stock block is there? not blowing any smoke yet...i just wait till it warms up to drive it as to not push it to hard while its ticking....thanks again

Randy in Maine Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:47 pm

Ever consider zeroing out those hydraulic lifters?

http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/hydraulicll.htm

Make sure you are at correct idle speed to see if the light will go out. You need a gauge, not thicker oil.

CObaked Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:23 pm

thats seems like the problem alright. described verbtum in bob's writeup...

im terrible with engines (my hobby is building toyotas and jeeps...but not engines) would a local vw mechanic do something like that? if so what kind of labor does it entail?

Randy in Maine Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:35 am

You can do this yourself with just a little patience in the privacy of your own driveway.

Just follow the Boston Bob write up. He is as good as they get.

Randy in Maine Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:20 pm

It is cold and freezing rain here today and I found this that might apply....

http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/low-oil-pressure.htm