TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternative approach instead of redrilling hubs ?
Cheeky Monkey Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:01 pm

Probably a stupid question, but bear with me ? (First time building...)

I'm in the Uk, have a GP Mk 1 (manx clone type buggy - similar to the Mk 2 in my avatar) project with balljoint front, and IRS rear

I'm looking at a 3" body lift, 3x3 rear arms, Thing / blind chicken front spindles with 3" lift

Its mainly about achieving a different look to most UK buggies, and having a bit of fun, rather than serious off roading

I need to replace the (drum) brakes all round, and have a set of Chevy pattern Cragars still in their boxes which I picked up from a US airman at a base over here for about $150 for the 4 (a bargain over here !)

I'm wondering whether the best / simplest way to go is to just buy front and rear disk conversion kits and pay the extra to get the Chevy pattern rotors, or blanks and get them machined, but is there a better way ?

In particular, given where I'm starting from, is there any alternative approach using chevy brakes and rotors for example ?

Also, will I have any issues that anyone is aware of / anything I need to know about buying disk conversion kits bearing in mind my desire to gain some height with the Thing spindles and to fit the 3x3 arms

Thanks - sorry for a long post :oops:

HamburgerBrad Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:08 pm

using actual chevy brakes instead of chevy drilled vw discs would require a different spindle, so unless you have custom lift spindles made with the chevy spindle head on it, you're stuck with VW

Kubel Nick Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:17 pm

Best and cheapest doesn't mix on this subject. Use wheel adapters if you want the cheapest. Use blank/redrilled for the most simple and generally the best way to go. Use a donor spindle with the desired wheel pattern or get a custom spindles made if you want to go the extra mile.

bajagunny Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:08 pm

set up the spindles, and 3x3's with vw parts (wide five) or 4 lug
what ever you have then sell the chevy wheels since you got em for such a great price for over there they should bring you enough to buy some nice wheels with the correct vw pattern. seems to me that wheels, brakes and hubs shoud be a part of any vehicle that should be rock solid, no rigged up setup

just my two cents

HamburgerBrad Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:20 am

as long as theres no adapters or half-assing and your wheels are strong enough, it should be a pretty solid setup using properly drilled drums/rotors

Cheeky Monkey Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:24 am

thanks all - I might investigate the availability of chevy brakes over here since I'm possibly going to have custom spindles on the front anyway

more questions in the pipeline as I work on the plan (suspension and shocks next) but I'll read existing posts before I do !

Cheers

Kubel Nick Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:49 am

It's going to cost you, unless you know how to machine and have a lathe, etc handy. First you wanted cheapest now you're going for the most $$$ route :?:

Cheeky Monkey Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:39 pm

Kubel Nick wrote: It's going to cost you, unless you know how to machine and have a lathe, etc handy. First you wanted cheapest now you're going for the most $$$ route :?:

Not intentionally !

BigElipso Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:03 pm

Kubel Nick wrote: It's going to cost you, unless you know how to machine and have a lathe, etc handy. First you wanted cheapest now you're going for the most $$$ route :?:

Story of my life....