TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: RPM's stick at 2000...sometimes...
Mathew Zelezen Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:32 pm

Hello all,
I have an 85 (1.9) vanagon and am having problems recently with the idle sticking at 2000 rpm's. At first I thought it was just because of the colder weather, but even after the van has been driven a good hour or so the needle will dip down to 1000 and then jump back up to 2000. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mat

Randy in Maine Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:02 pm

Quick question...

Does the engine race up or is it just the tach?

[email protected] Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:09 pm

My 85 is doing the same thing if i punch the gas i goes back down .
I think its the throtel body sticking probly just needs to be cleaned.
My bus sat for a year and I think thats what caused mine to stick.
My last 85 uset o do this after sittinf for awile but would go away after driving it aropund a few days.

MayorDJQ Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:19 am

My '80 did the same thing. I took the spare tire out and removed the cover from the throttle cable and soaked it good with silicone spray. Then I went to the back and soaked the cable good where it comes through the metal firewall. Then I used carb cleaner on the throttle body and springs. No problems in the last 3 months.

mjamgb Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:52 am

since the FI has lambda feedback false air will cause both a high idle and poor economy once the o2 sensor has warmed up and the computer is off the warm-up circuit.

Use carb/TB cleaner on the throttle, check the idle air bypass for proper function and search for air leaks.

mike!

Mathew Zelezen Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:59 am

Thanks for the replys guys,
I don't get the impression that the throttle cable/ body is sticking because it fluctuates without me depressing the gas pedal. For example: I'll be at a stoplight and its at 2000 rpm's... then it'll dip down to 900 for a bit and then jump back up to 2000 again. Oh, and its the motor reving, not just the needle.
Thanks,
Mathew

weinerwagen Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Throttle Body may have a hunk of carbon, or you may have a nice little groove worn in it :cry:

Tram Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:06 pm

I'd start by soaking the throttle shaft and return springs on top with a penetrant like PB Blaster. Things can corrode and stick pretty badly in winter sometimes.

Randy in Maine Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:31 pm

Dumb question:

Does this have a idle stabilizer on it?

weinerwagen Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:12 am

The gas pedals have been known to get rather cruddy. Pull off your spare tire, and check the linkage activation down under.... :idea: :idea: