TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kingpin conversion kits for post '66 Beetle?
timinator Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:30 am

I'm looking to convert a later model ball joint front end Beetle into a Baja Bug. I understand the ball joint front end isn't as sturdy or doesn't allow as much travel as the earlier kingpin axles. I don't really want to hack off the front clip of a pre '66 and weld it on. Does anyone make an aftermarket kingpin type axle assembly that will bolt up to a later model Beetle?

Daniel G Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:36 am

No...But I think Blind Chicken Racing has one in the works. If you plan on running a full roll cage, you could just hack off the pan head and attach the front beam like it would be on a buggy.

Daniel

dunebuggybrian Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:46 am

The VW Thing ball joint front is the strongest "stock" b/j front. All the ball joints are faceing downward. The shock on the ball joint front has limiter rubbers to stop overextension of the suspension travel. There are aftermarket ball joints built with more degrees of pivot.

Daniel G Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:53 am

Yeah, You should consider the Thing Ball Joint front end if you just want something stronger than stock. If you want a lot of travel, though, you really need to go with a Linkpin front beam.

Daniel