TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gas Tank Removal Help needed
jasvidas Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:36 pm

hello, so I have decided my gasoline smell is coming from the top of my fuel tank. I have a 1982 Vanagon Camper. I plan on removing the fuel tank, seeing what condition everything is in and at the very least replacing the fuel lines. Anything I am missing? I am an enthusiastic yet sadly inexperienced VW mechanic. Can anyone give me any helpful hints or point me to a good website to walk me through this process. The Bently manual isn't enough for me. Thanks alot, Jason

earthmuffin Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:49 pm

You will probably find that just about every piece of rubber on the top of the tank is deteriorated. The crossover tube, grommets and hoses all get funky over time. Here are some kits that will give you everything you need to fix it, while you are there, just change all the seals regardless of condition cause if it isn't leaking now, it probably will leak soon. There is some confusion as to the years and models, so you might talk to the sale people before you buy. The folks at volkscafe were real helpfull, I was just about to order the wrong one.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=TANKKIT2
http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagonparts.jsp?ct=284342729&pa=pct&pct=680049311

mightyart Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:04 pm

Have you checked your aux heater, that's what the problem sounded like to me, if you smelled gas from you vents it's just kind of a big tube the heater system blows though. I have an 81 the gas tank and vent hoses ect. are most likely original. When I first got it and would fill it, one of the overflow hoses was rotted and would drip almost stream gas all over the passenger tire and the wheel well, but we never smelled gas in the cabin.
If its not all rusty, dropping it is pretty strait forward. Of course be very careful draining it, and a slightly empty gas tank makes a good bomb if the fumes somehow ignight.

jasvidas Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:13 pm

Thanks alot for the tip with the gas tank parts package and the tip to check the heater a little better. I could not find any leaks at all in the engine compartment and I thought it must be in the gas tank somewhere but I forgot to check the aux heater. I know I will have to do some work on the tank but if I can get the gas smell out of my heated air then I will save the tank for a warmer time of year as I have to work outside. Mightyart- do you think the best way to check it out would be to diconnect the fuel pump? What other options are there? I think you may be on to something as the gas smell only enters the cabin from the heater duct and there seems to be no change in the strength of fumes over time. Thanks for all the feedback, this site is such a great resource. Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to help someone out here.

mightyart Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:36 pm

I'm going by the Bentley here cause I don't have a ba6. It looks like disconnecting the aux heater fuel pump would be the best fix as you said.
just put a soild piece of hose in place of the two hose sections and plastic "T" that runs off to the aux fuel pump. That would keep your heater intact, and you'd know it couldn't get any gas. The gas should evaporate in a few days. Getting some air though your system would help evaporation maybe open it all up (windows, ect.) start it and turn your front blower on high to suck some air though it. I would be very careful with the old gas fumes as we know to always do. :wink: