TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 85 nothing past 1st on tranny
TheEskimo Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:42 pm

:roll: I bought an 85 for $200 because the automatic transmission wouldn't shift past first. I can't figure it out. it works in neutral fine, reverse fine but in 1,2 and drive it won't shift up to 2nd and beyond. I found another van at a yard and pulled the tranny not really knowing anything about it. I rolled the dice. The new tranny has the same problem. reverse, neutral and first are fine but it won't shift up.

Miguel Arroyo Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:22 am

Newer transmissions are controled by an ECU when to shift or not. Is there such a thing on an 85. If yes it may be the problem.

TheEskimo Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:03 am

It doesn't have an external ECU. I'd say it's all controlled by the valve body. What's more I've double checked the linkage and kickdown adjustment. I think I'm going to try one more (this one is confirmed good). Do these transmissions all fail in the same way, and then don't shift past first?

mightyart Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:15 am

That doesn't sound right that both would have the same problem. Can you manualy shift when moving? are you using the same torque converter?

TheEskimo Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:56 pm

2 with the same problem. :evil: I don't know. But, no I can't manually shift using the lever from 1st to 2nd to Drive. No I haven't chankged the torque converter. I'm not ruling it out but how could the torque converter be causing my problem? :roll:

mightyart Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:10 pm

Yes the Torque converter is likely not problem, but I was assuming it wouldn't shift when it was being driven, because you checked the linkage I also assumed it was shifting fine when at idle or off. I am also assuming that when you put the new transmission in you followed your Bentley manual and didn't just put the new transmission in like the previous owner did who couldn't fix the problem, but of course you assummed it was just the transmission. Assuming is bad :roll:

watermech Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:28 am

try the governor valve you can find it in the bentle manual if its full of shavings and crap clean and retry should get you shifting. p.s. The governor is in the differential housing not in the trans thats how you can have two trans with the same problem