Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

kevinm wrote:
Looks great, Vik. Congrats!

Q: is the clutch slave cylinder installed backwards? I thought it should be oriented with the hose connection facing the front of the vehicle.

- Kevin

I'll second that thought. The fact that the bleeder isn't at the highest point kind of proves it.

Cheers,

BK
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
kevinm wrote:

Q: is the clutch slave cylinder installed backwards? I thought it should be oriented with the hose connection facing the front of the vehicle.

- Kevin

I'll second that thought. The fact that the bleeder isn't at the highest point kind of proves it.

Cheers,

BK

Yeah, well, you guys don't have a Syncro or you don't wrench on it Laughing

The Syncro slave cylinder has the banjo facing towards the rear, to clear the fuel tank. The hydraulic hose connected to it is specific in this sense.
The early 85 models (in Europe) actually had a hard pipe and a flex hose similar to the 2WD, then in 86 they switched to the clear plastic hose style, one piece, eliminating the connection at the base of the reinforcement leg.

I will add, the Topran brand slave cylinder is not threaded deep enough for the factory Syncro banjo bolt to crush the washers, so you either need to tap it deeper or cut the banjo bolt a bit .
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

I will add, the Topran brand slave cylinder is not threaded deep enough for the factory Syncro banjo bolt to crush the washers, so you either need to tap it deeper or cut the banjo bolt a bit .

Merci Alika

I got Bosch unit. Will test it before assembly to the car.
WestiT3_1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

vik wrote:
May I ask if anyone has installed the Powerflex from Heritage Collection?
I ordered few bushes and I was expected classic yellow/purple. I'm sure they will be much better than what I do have at the moment. Just asking...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Powerflex don't provide too much info if they are more or less stiff. I quote:
The Powerflex Heritage Collection of bushes has been chosen specifically for your modern classic vehicle.

Manufactured using modern day materials with properties biased for the road, these dark grey coloured bushes will restore, compliment and improve any collector's car, whilst retaining the same standard appearance of a regular rubber bush.

I just recently installed them on some of the bushes of my 1989 2WD Camper.
I think the material is just the same as the standard powerflex (purple for the T3/Vanagons) stuff- just coloured black, for stealth appearance. This might be of value for things like a heritage numberplates here in Germany- the guys at TUV don't like flashy colors if you want such a plate...

Greets
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

WestiT3_1986 wrote:

I just recently installed them on some of the bushes of my 1989 2WD Camper.
I think the material is just the same as the standard powerflex (purple for the T3/Vanagons) stuff- just coloured black, for stealth appearance. This might be of value for things like a heritage numberplates here in Germany- the guys at TUV don't like flashy colors if you want such a plate...

Greets

As I heard they were made not just for the H-plates. The powerflex bushes have no E markings or TUV certification while they are not exact reproduction of OE parts, so there were some difficulties on tech inspection in strict countries like Germany.
The black/grey ones are harder to notice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Hallo all

You may be right about Powerflex. I heard similar story, but they mentioned Swiss TÜV.

as much as I would like to keeping the things rolling I do feel there is some slowdown comming in.
At least the frontend is finished for now. If I will have upper and lower bushings available they will be there too. Well next time

While preparing for the nose transplant I notice a wesp nest in front of the driver

And I could not resist to test the new color for the CLK rims

It looks smart in my point of view.

Obviously not all is so great. I discovered that the front step driver side will need some wokr, oh well Rolling Eyes
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

So the rust fight is on:

I´m wondering if the the front cross panel is available as spare part?
It is nowhere to be find.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Yikes! Just goes to show it never pays to ignore that windshield rust. I'm glad I caught mine in time to save the metal.
You're gonna have to get that from a wreaking yard, only the exterior panels are available (afaik).

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Hi all,

Work continues in painfully slow pace. But fuel as well as water tanks are back in and hooked up.
I got a shipment of remaining Powerflex bushings for:
- upper arms
- lower arms
- rear arms
As well as some bolts. And here is why:

The upper control arm will go to powdedrcoaters as soon as the old bushings will be removed. I´m not sure if they are original or were replaced in the past as I could not find any spot welds. But they are rusted together wery well.

Lower front bushings are long time gone as well. I just feel stupid that this was not done when the radius rods were out.

For cutting trough the bolt is better to use one of those vibrating multi tools or some Reciprocating Saw?

And I got repair panels for my front

Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

A multi-tool blade has a hard time cutting through a nail. I would recommend using a sawzall to cut your bolt.

Diablo makes the best blades for metal cutting. The carbide blades do cost a bit more but will last you for a long time. Other blades will likely show significant wear just cutting through a single bolt.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

+1 on the Diablo blades. I tried using other blades I already owned and it was taking like 10 minutes to cut through one bolt and the blade was trash by the end. The Diablo blades took about 30 seconds and are still good after multiple bolts. Get what you pay for.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Cut through the bushing close to the LCA on the rear portion of the bushing.

Then cut across the hexagonal part of the bolt head many times, use a chisel to break the pieces off. The LCA will then come off easily bc you gained room at the back portion already.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Thank you for tips.
The vibration multi tool was used. I had the saw as backup as there is really not so much space.
Cutting out the bolt was the easiest part Rolling Eyes Blade used was special one for metal from Bosch profesional range. It was roughly $27 equvivalent. Lifespan - one bolt...

Anyway getting the rest of the bolt as well as bush remains was a REAL hassle. Took me about 4h to do so.
Now new and shiny Powerflex bushes are in place.

I´m really thinking to keep the rear bushes for next time.
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

I have decided to give it a shot before the engine and gearbox goes back in.
3 out of the 4 bolts were ok. One rusted to the bushing sleve.

This time I waste no time with the big hammer and cut it out in few minutes.
Rear arms are off the car. Will be painted (no time for powder coating this time) Rolling Eyes

vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Just a quick update from the Polybushig work feed Very Happy
Front upper arms are back not only from powdercoaters, but installed on the car as well

Rear arms are paint in black. While I was doing this my phone decided it would be good time to play paint in black from the Rolling Stones

Next: get the bushings in the rear arms and reinstall the engine
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

So it seems that I´m getting to the end of this part of the rebuild.
Obviously it took much longer and will cost much more than expected. Rolling Eyes

Quick and easy job was to install the BMW brake booster. I managed (unawared) purchased unit already modified for T3.

Next on my list was final preparation of the engine to mount it in the car. Done.

Rear arms now looks much more cleaner. I got as well new bottom ¨plastic¨ washers between spring and the arm.

Lastly rear right window is out and the rust has been dealed with. I´m lucky this time. No holes Very Happy

vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

Had time in last few days to get back to my Bus. And we are getting closer to finish straight.

New braided brake lines are installed as replacement of the OE 30 years rubber once. On rear arms copper pipes were replaced for the ¨new and better¨ material too.

kevinm wrote:

- Kevin

I remembered this question today as clutch slave cylinder was the last thing to connect in the hydraulic department. And the syncro has it indeed connected opposite direction.

I´m missing last pipe to be connected from water circuit (had to run to catch a train)
Fill up and drain brakes and power steering
Connect vacuum pipes (I even found front locker and decoupler wiring)
Fuel pipes between fuel filter and engine + return
Oil
Charge up the battery

and fire it up.

Than the bodywork and paint Rolling Eyes BUT this year I shall put more km on the road than last >0
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

Making good progress!
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Making good progress!

Thank you. But it was rather slow recently. But I´m moving based on time available.
The kitchen block is finding its way back after it met different type of saws Very Happy

It is bitter sweet as I paid not that small amount of money for it and seeing the fetish for thin wood screws which you can brake off easily or they are not possible to remove at all make me sad. I can do it better and do not call myself a professional. Oh well.. Rolling Eyes

Metal work is one step forward too. The inner brace and ¨new¨ fresh air duct is welded in and treated with ¨corrosion proof¨ paint. A cavity wax will be sprayed there after the paint.

List is still long, but getting shorter.
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 7 seater Caravelle Syncro to camper Reply with quote

You're making some good progress Very Happy
Scrolling back through your post, i saw that you had a nice almost original bullbar mounted, you still have it?

I have a picture of an original TUV for that kind of bullbar, i heard you can make a homologation of the bullbar with this picture..
Interested? Cool

WIP - Offroad Spec Syncro - 1.9 TDI AFN - Build Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
IG: syncro_brothers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: