Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MayoMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]

I think I know the owner of that Citroen. It has been a while since I was involved in that community.

Good to be reading your posts. I have 86 Syncro (first Vanagon) that I'm trying to get back to a reliable state. Bought with tires dating back to 1997 and drove it over 500 miles. I swear they looked really good. Now, I'm worried about their use.
VanPerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild Reply with quote

I want to also report back to you that I tried the eprom chip in our 88 GW 2.3 and ended up taking it out. For 99% of the time, I really really liked the performance. I mean, it was very snappy. However, maybe a few times per day on a long road trip we'd experience what seemed like a misadjusted TPS (ie RPMs would fail to come down when taking foot off accelerator pedal). This was a little scary when it would occur going down long windy hills etc. It mimicked a TPS issue so closely that I even pulled the throttle body on the side of the road a few diff times to adjust, did a more comprehensive adjustment at home base, then finally tried a whole different TPS, and then a whole diff throttle body. In the end, the only other thing I'd changed in recent days was the chip. So, I pulled the chip, and put the stock one back in. The seemingly TPS issue vanished, so I can say with certainty that the performance chip was indeed responsible for the intermittent hiccup. I suppose when the manufacturer disclaimer says it is intended to work best with free-flow exhaust and their rockers, they mean it Wink Hey, it was worth a try, and I got to become more intimate with my ECU, haha, that pesky thing. Your van is looking good! Thanks for the followup.
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild Reply with quote

Hmm. If it were me I'd contact TT and see if you can send the chip back for checking. There's always a chance it was programmed for a different vehicle and labeled by mistake, though I would expect it to run poorly if so, but who knows. I've personally had a bad (unmodified) ECU cause return to idle problems although it ran OK otherwise. Likely a cracked and intermittent solder joint in that case.

This is one of those moments where the Shoebox monitor would really help, so you could verify while running that things are doing what they are supposed to. For example, checking the TPS is great but you don't know if there is a wiring fault between the TPS and ECU causing an issue. You can check it with a voltmeter, but those kind of old wiring faults often only play up under vibration etc.

Since your symptoms resolved, it certainly points to the chip, but I wonder if the stock chip might simply be masking a vacuum leak, where the TT chip causes problems since it might be feeding a bit more fuel and causing the RPMs to hang. However that isn't a complete answer either, because if the TPS is really working correctly, then the ECU will completely cut fuel until the RPMs drop below the fuel cutoff threshold - 1800 RPM maybe, I can't remember, but it's in Bentley or Protraining - when the TPS indicates idle position. Good to check the TPS position at the ECU connector per Bentley to verify.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is 10 years old, but the K75 was a three cylinder and had a triangular muffler while the K100 was a four cylinder and had a square muffler, hence it's a K100. (Stupid stuff I've remembered.)

a1fa wrote:
Cool K75?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild Reply with quote

1) Thanks for the 10 year update - it's good to hear van is back on the road and running better than ever.
2) I agree that a Vanagon with refreshed suspension parts can be easy to drive, even with those crazy winds on I-80 out of the bay area. I think you'll like the T3 anti-sway bar a lot although I'm not yet convinced about the steering rack stiffener but I've never driven one with it, I've only watched the video.
3) That's a nice, eclectic collection of old cars.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild Reply with quote

More parts bolted up today. T3 Technique steering stiffeners and a Vintage Speed merged collector pipe.

Verdict is out on the stiffeners, but I railed my nearest fun twisty road as hard as I ever have in my Westy tonight, and felt great doing so. Nice to have a camper that's also fun enough to drive that I want to take out for a little local backroad jam session.

The collector pipe made a wonderful change to the tone of the exhaust, it sounds more powerful and got rid of the annoying ringing tone coming from the old Dansk pipe. Also dropped about ten pounds hanging off the pipes. I can't tell yet if it woke up any more power, but it looks so damn good I'm happy anyway. Shop helper Sharpe is on scene for the paw of approval!

thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty 2.4 install and suspension rebuild Reply with quote

VanPerson wrote:
I want to also report back to you that I tried the eprom chip in our 88 GW 2.3 and ended up taking it out. For 99% of the time, I really really liked the performance. I mean, it was very snappy. However, maybe a few times per day on a long road trip we'd experience what seemed like a misadjusted TPS (ie RPMs would fail to come down when taking foot off accelerator pedal). This was a little scary when it would occur going down long windy hills etc. It mimicked a TPS issue so closely that I even pulled the throttle body on the side of the road a few diff times to adjust, did a more comprehensive adjustment at home base, then finally tried a whole different TPS, and then a whole diff throttle body. In the end, the only other thing I'd changed in recent days was the chip. So, I pulled the chip, and put the stock one back in. The seemingly TPS issue vanished, so I can say with certainty that the performance chip was indeed responsible for the intermittent hiccup. I suppose when the manufacturer disclaimer says it is intended to work best with free-flow exhaust and their rockers, they mean it Wink Hey, it was worth a try, and I got to become more intimate with my ECU, haha, that pesky thing. Your van is looking good! Thanks for the followup.

Did your van come with the D code ecu or did you buy one and put it in? My 87 of course did not come with it but when I put my D code in, the idle was different and did hang a bit. I believe the D code ecu's might have a different ICU as well? I have the Techtonics chip but haven't put enough miles on to give a report.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: