Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
Would it be the thing below the "red" port here? :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the middle port is the PRV but I could be wrong. Check your Sanden literature. No, it's the threaded hole like Howesight mentioned
ALIKA T3 wrote:
How much did you pay for your compressor?

$325 delivered, acparts.com. This is a Sanden clone, was given assurances as to reasonable reliability but no warranty. Now that I've drilled out the mounting ears, I'm committed. Thank you for the info, I sent them an email with what I wanted to do, see if they can sell me the parts to do it.
ALIKA T3 wrote:
What rear head do you have now?

KG rear head. I'll worry about fittings when I get to the point of hose makeup and installation. Thanks!

I have seen a thread here https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/alh-t...98/page-18 dealing with converting a variable to fixed displacement compressor but I did not want to go that route with a new compressor. Perhaps if I'd come upon a variable one for free/cheap I might have tried it, but that's just another item to go wrong in what otherwise is, for me, a fairly complex project.

Oh , I gotta go look into that thread!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Ok, I read the thread, damn, it's dumb simple, it's just removing it and use a bolt as a plug for the hole it left in the plate.

Now that I think of it, I just remember Dave from OutWesty asked me if I had removed the valve when we met and talked conversions, but I had no idea what it was having never heard of it.

Full circle.
I'll buy a gasket set and tackle this, looks very easy.

Thanks all!
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Progress pics. Final mod to the oil filler tube:

Repinned the Ford electrical connector on the compressor to a VW one:

Installed the oil filler tube and the compressor and belts:
Everything clears nicely (including the oil fill cap near to the rear access door)

Installed the Go Westy parallel flow Condenser:
On this last, the hardware is a bit fiddly but when it's all installed it's snug and there's only a minimal gap between the radiator and the condenser. Since this is a diesel and has the larger 14" fan, I'm not planning any modifications there (such a secondary fan).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

That filler is for a pick up truck, isn't it?
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
That filler is for a pick up truck, isn't it?
Yes, I modified the stock JX / T3 Diesel tube P/N 068 115 304 B.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I have to ask because I don't want to take important things for granted.
The electric Heater Control Valve that SCP supplies replaces the stock cable-actuated heater valve P/N 171 819 809 E, correct? This valve is located under the floorboards adjacent to the base of the gear shift lever.

The SCP destructions sorta suggest that their valve is installed in the place where the two coolant hoses removed from the stock heater core were spliced together with their brass hose mender. This doesn't seem to make sense...but just checking.
kingfridaysyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Achilles3588 wrote:
I have to ask because I don't want to take important things for granted.
The electric Heater Control Valve that SCP supplies replaces the stock cable-actuated heater valve P/N 171 819 809 E, correct? This valve is located under the floorboards adjacent to the base of the gear shift lever.

The SCP destructions sorta suggest that their valve is installed in the place where the two coolant hoses removed from the stock heater core were spliced together with their brass hose mender. This doesn't seem to make sense...but just checking.

Yes, the stock heater valve is no longer used. Small Car provides an electrically controlled heater valve that gets mounted on the coolant hose going into the new heater core. You can mount it under the van or behind the center lower dash panel.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

kingfridaysyncro wrote:

Yes, the stock heater valve is no longer used. Small Car provides an electrically controlled heater valve that gets mounted on the coolant hose going into the new heater core. You can mount it under the van or behind the center lower dash panel.

Thumbs Up
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

First the recommended clean up, and some touch up painting...

Before:

After:

cletus632
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I installed this system in 2019 on a 1990 Syncro Westy and the stage 3 fan would run whenever the a/c was on. I knew something was wrong even though Mao at Small Car told me that was the way it was designed. I have been living with it until 3 weeks ago.

I recently noticed Small Car has instructions online and saw they added another relay so the low speed fan turns on but the trinary switch triggers the 3rd speed fan (BK/Y). I reached out to a few Samba members who had issues with melting wires due to the prolonged high speed fan operation. I realized this was a pretty serious issue that I needed to address ASAP.

1986-1991 vans with A/C have the 450w fan. All Syncros have the fan as well.

On a factory Vanagon with A/C, when the A/C compressor turns on, the low speed fan works. The trinary switch engages the 2nd stage fan whenever certain pressures are met. The 3rd stage fan has absolutely nothing to do with A/C. When the coolant gets to a certain temperature, the 3rd speed fan kicks in and the A/C compressor is disconnected. The 3rd speed fan was never designed to operate for a prolonged period.

I spoke with Austin at SCP last week and he was completely unaware of the 450w 3 stage fan system in Vanagons. His initial response was that I had something custom/irregular. I was dumfounded. I told him about several customers on the Samba having issues with running the 3rd stage fan and frying their electrical system. His response was they have 100+ installs and have not had a single problem. I again informed him of several SCP customers experienciencing this on the Samba.

Once I heard him say that, I knew I was on my own. On the upside, I got some great input from fellow Samba members. I also studied the shit out of the Bentley to completely understand how the system was designed to operate. I now have a system that runs like it was originally designed using factory relays, wiring, resistors, etc.

It frustrates me to no end that Small Car is continuing to sell this system knowing customers are having so many serious issues and doing nothing to improve their less than desirable instructions.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Yes the advice from SmallCar is poor. I too fried my wires hooking it up the way it was suggested. It would be interesting to see their new wiring diagram.
My system currently works without the Small Car system connected to the cooling fan. I do not live in a particularly hot climate, but after disconnecting the above mentioned fried wire designed to trigger the second stage fan, I fully intended to do a complete re-engineer of the fan connection. But I have noticed that it works fine as is. If it is a warm day the first stage fan comes on as usual aiding both the coolant and the A/C, usually just when the van is stopped. If I am in the desert doing 4wd, the 3rd stage fan occasionally kicks in and turbo cools things down, for usually less than a minute, then it kicks off.
My thoughts/theory on it all, is that the evaporator in this system is really pretty small, (thus the lame cooling only the front seat area performance) and the condenser I have on the front of the radiator is relatively large. I think the VW engineers had the three stage fan set up matched for the gigantic evaporator that they hung on the stock A/C, and in the era before the modern efficient parallel flow condensers.
One caveat, my cooling system is fairly new with a new radiator and lines, This is also with a 1.8T conversion which has never had cooling issues, the gauge stays pegged just below the LED.
I'm not suggesting this is the "correct" way to set up your system, but it seems to be working fine for me, and unless I start to have some other issue I am unlikely to muck around with any more fan wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

The factory AC system runs off relay 53, speed 2, not low speed (speed 1).
Speed 3, high speed is when shit hits the fan as far as temperature.

Both speed 1 and 3 are triggered by the thermoswitch, the speed 2 turns on automatically with AC on, and doesn't cycle.
I wired my SCP AC off speed 2, the trinary switch makes it cycle, much better electrically.
Speed 1 and 2 are regulated in RPM by the resistor behind the driver side headlight.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

cletus632 wrote:
...I knew I was on my own. On the upside, I got some great input from fellow Samba members. I also studied the shit out of the Bentley to completely understand how the system was designed to operate. I now have a system that runs like it was originally designed using factory relays, wiring, resistors, etc.

cletus I've been all through this thread and will likely retrace my steps as I go along, but I'm not clear. I'm about to dive into the equipment installation and wiring for the SCP kit. I've got their 9/22 instructions. So, what did you end up doing differently, if anything, from what they say to do, that got you to what you describe here? Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

kingfridaysyncro wrote:

The SCP instructions say the top [coolant/heater] fitting on their unit "routes 'to' [from?] their heater control valve". And the bottom fitting "routes to the water pump" (meaning, presumably to the water pump suction per references on ETKA). Flow is up from the HCV from below the floor into the SCP evaporator/heat exchanger. This connection seems odd to me - in at the bottom, out at the top would seem to make more sense, from the standpoint of purging potential air pockets. I'm really struggling to get the line from the HCV to connect to that top fitting, in any case, without the use of any extra hose or fittings. Has any one encountered this? I'm tempted to route the coolant lines the other way.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Run them the way you want and switch them under the van then.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Run them the way you want and switch them under the van then.

Certainly, and as it turns out SCP gives you a chunk of 5/8" heater hose, a couple of brass hose menders and some hose clamps to extend the factory lines as needed. That done did it.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Based on the input of folks on this thread on how to better wire a 450/500W radiator fan, the Bentley and the SCP 'wiring diagrams':
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

So I am #3 for the new improved Vintage air SCS modified Gen 5 system. Hard to tell what's new. I've spent time on line trying to understand the improvements. But my homebrew system sucks so this has got to be better.

We took off on a trip and I was able to get the Blend door unstuck before I left. It was doing Ok in the 100Plus weather with my shower curtain up.

2 days into the trip and no more cold, tried to get it re charged but was told the pump is DOA.

I've been looking at Pumps and you can buy a Rebuilt but if you look at Vintage Air they offer new Pumps.

Does anyone have any advise for the correct pump that will fit my 2.2 1990 Subaru engine.

My current dead pump is a Calsonic Harrison 73011 1AA30. I would rather spend the money for a ne pump VS a Rebuilt or used. If the consensus is that a Rebuilt is good I may accept that as well.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
airshipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

I'm now going this route because I fried the fan motor in my '84 Wolfsburg Westy AC while recharging it and I don't want to put any more energy into the old setup.

I'm also considering upgrading to the BMW E-30 brake booster. Can you fit both the bigger brake booster and the in-dash AC? I'm really hoping they are compatible with each other.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Performance, DIY Front A/C Installation Reply with quote

Hey Airshipper:

I suggest that you do yourself a big favour and use the later 450W VW fan on your rig and, obviously, upgrade the associated wiring to handle that current.

Our rig is a Syncro, and as such, despite having no factory AC, it had the 450W radiator fan.

FWIW, when I fabricated my own DIY front AC system, I wired the trinary switch so that when the AC is switched on, the rad fan comes on a speed #1, the lowest of the three speeds, and when the refrigerant high-pressure switch portion in the trinary switch closes, rad fan speed #2 is engaged. Rad fan speed #3 is still switched on only by the rad fan switch in the radiator itself.

I found that this approach has worked quite well and only on very hot days (over 90F) will the AC system cause the fan speed #2 to come on. The exception, of course, is when the van is "greenhouse heated" on warm days, and then the fan speed #2 may come on to cool down the interior for a few minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 37

Jump to: