Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All of my headliner questions in one quick burst
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

Finally got my '62 back after years of having it stashed in a garage. I've been dreading the headliner for years now, but have decided to jump in while I'm not working, and before my first kid is born and all of my free time is shot!

I have searched here, googled, read, and watched. So here's my list of questions before I start buying stuff. I should note that this car is definitely not "original", and thus I'm not terribly concerned with what VW did at the factory 60 years ago. I'll also quickly add that I'm not scared of putting in a bit more work in order to save a few $ or get a better finished product.

I plan on an off-white or black vinyl headliner, not really looking for a fabric option.

1 - What is the best compromise on padding as far as ease of install, price, and quality? I'm not particularly worried about sound deadening or insulation value - I just want something that isn't a PITA to install, and to have it to look nice when I'm done. I've heard B-Quiet and Dynamat (of some flavor) mentioned numerous times, as well as quilt batting and others.
2 - Instead of buying a padding "kit", I'd just as soon buy a roll or 2 or 3 of the material and cut everything out myself. I assume this way I'd have more choices, and probably save a few $? Whoever is kind enough to suggest a padding material, an amount/quantity to buy would also be very much appreciated so I don't run out half way through!
3 - With said padding, what is the best glue to use? I've had hit or miss luck with spray adhesive, and am afraid that with anything other than super lightweight padding, it wouldn't hold in the long run.
4 - The "easy install" kits (from J bugs etc) sound nice for... you guessed it, ease of install. However the prices also seem much lower than "original" style multi piece headliners. I'm not that concerned adding a few hours onto my install time, but I would like to save a bit of $ if possible, and the result is acceptable. Is the J Bugs vinyl headliner the best price/quality ratio?
5 - Where can I find the best "how-to" on an install for a pre-'67 sedan?

Thanks in advance. *SO* excited to get back to working on and driving my bug!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

Oh boy. You just described me about a year ago. Mine was for a 64, multi-piece kit from WW and i learned alot.

1. I did my padding on my own. I bought jute in three thicknesses, paid attention to what i removed and duplicated it. I also bought the padding "kit" but used none of it. I added sound deadening too.

2. I will see if i can pin down what i bought. Some from Ebay, some from the local shop.

3. I used 3M spay contact cement for all. I WOULD NOT do this again. I would use traditional contact cement for everything. (Weldwood) The 3M is easier but i am really un-happy with the poor adhesion. I have had to re-do parts already.

4. Is "easy" just a one piece kit where the rear window is part of the top?

Mine was 8 pieces. Off white. Rear window, top, B-pillar, Under both rear windows, behind both rear windows and sunroof. The B-pillars at the bottom were hardest. The rear window was stressful but it was also the first thing you do so your learning.

5. I really liked Chris Vallon's series. (YouTube) It gave me lots of confidence but he uses the 3M and again i would not. I also read every thread i could but there were not many step-by-steps out there.

Mine took me 4 days over 3 weeks. Alot of thinking though so it could have gone faster. Have alot of binder clips, lots of sharp blades and make sure you keep your hands clean. Have tape handy to keep glue off areas. I know one of the downsides of contact cement is it gets thick and through the holes in the head liner.

If you look at my build i documented alot of it.

It is totally do-able.

Hope this helped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2325499.jpg

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

Matthew, thank you for the response! This is an example of an "easy install" headliner... I think it's just fewer individual pieces. I'm not honestly sure if that makes it any easier or not.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/20-1102-Perforated.html

I'll check out Chris Vallon's series and your other thread tomorrow.

I got most of my headliner out today, without too much struggle. I haven't taken the windows out to finish.

I have 2 more quick, probably dumb questions for the group.

1 - What is the beading at the rear of the doors called (that covers the headliner and part of the door jamb), and where to find it?

2 - How in the heck do I remove the assist straps? Mine are pretty trashed, but I also don't plan on reinstalling them, so I'm hoping headliner kits don't come with any provisions for such.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

That looks like what i know as a "one piece" kit. That is what was in my bug to start. Had it installed in the 90's. IMO your exchanging more pieces for more planning of how to stretch things and align things. For instance your rear window now has an effect on the top alignment and side window but i have installed exactly one headliner in my life so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bossP0SG2XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BxJv-9px9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSWmZo0MQLc

There are more.

My headliner adventure starts on page 10

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180

1. Wind lace. It comes with the headliner kit and is already sewn to the B Pillar fabric. At least in my kit. Make sure you pay attention to all the clamps at the B pillar and the roof line. Open them up before you do anything. Be careful when you close them to not cut the headliner material. The B pillar clamps have to be closed alot to hold properly or they will pull out. Also the padding here is super important.

2. The headliner kit does not come with any holes for the assist strap. It comes with no holes at all. Behind the assist strap a welded bracket with two tapped holes. If you do not plan to re-install then get them out and don't worry about it. Regarding ALL screws though. you need to install the all BEFORE you put the headliner in and leave them in place. That way when you install whatever they mount you find the screw head and know exactly where to cut a hole. (Pop-out windows, rear seat hook, etc. )

Also pay attention to the following if you have them.
- Interior light. Run those wires in place.
- The fold of the material at the top of the B pillar and A Pillar.
- If you have a sunroof then make sure your drains are healthy and do not leak where the tube attaches to the drain shoot.
- It is super helpful for the side window to have pop-out window edging. Made life sooo much easier. Rear window too but there i used binder clips.
- A heat gun is your friend and foe. Easy does it.
- Buy a set of these. your need them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-body-trim/trim-and-molding-tool-set-5-piece-64126.html

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

Windlace, perfect, thank you! I can't for the life of me get the old stuff out. Once I figure that out, time to do the scary part (windows), and order parts. I got about everything else out last night, except for the B pillars.

I'm now narrowing down which headliner kit to use, and struggling a bit, mostly due to my own indecisiveness. Probably time to just bite the bullet.

Reading through your install as we speak.

Thanks again for all the help thus far!
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

Old headliner is out, with the windows. Another question.

What's the best way to remove all of the old glue/insulation garbage that's been stuck to the metal for the last 60 years? I don't want to wire wheel it, as I'm sure even my softer ones will be taking off paint.

Any ideas?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

I used in order:

- Chemicals. Acetone primarily.
- sand paper.
- wire wheel.

My goal was to remove anything that would flake off. If it was stick solid then i moved along. I painted any raw metal exposed.

Parts i am looking for:
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: All of my headliner questions in one quick burst Reply with quote

I've been in the garage removing old glue/jute for the last few hours. I did swing by my local paint shop to pick up one of those yellow decal-remover things, that hasn't worked worth a damn. The best thing I've found in my arsenal so far is a very stiff plastic brush, like you might use for scrubbing your boat. It's taking most of it off.

I'm a little hesitant to do sandpaper or a wire wheel, I've already got a bit of flaking paint and I'm sure either of those would take off most of what's there. I may try it for some of the stuff that's really stuck on. Same with acetone.

I plan on hitting a few spots with rust converter/rattlecan before I go on to the padding.

Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have it mostly cleaned and ready for padding/insulation. I guess it's time to figure out what to use. Hopefully something available locally. I've got a Jo Ann fabric just down the street, I'll probably start there.

I think Dynamat or similar might be a bit excessive. If I was doing a headliner on a freshly painted car I might go that route, but I'm hoping in the next 5 or so years I'll have the space and funds to take the whole body off and do the whole car right, which will mean a new headliner anyways, so I don't plan on shooting for perfection. Right now it's just a fun driver and good 20 foot looker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: