Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case saver inserts - quality suggestions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

It looks like I’ll be replacing all of my M12 O.D. X 8mm I.D. inserts on my AH 1600 engine. I have the engine stripped down so no worries about chips, but I am somewhat concerned about where to buy oversized inserts.

The M14 X 2 O.D. X 8mm is the next size up and this should be fine. Does anybody sell a made in the USA insert? Gene Berg does have some made in the USA 1/2-20 with the 8mm I.D. but I need the larger M14.

I can order the Chinese inserts from a few suppliers and it looks like I may have to, but I thought I’d ask around first. I know the Chinese inserts are not the best quality and this is a critical link.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

https://www.timesert.com/
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

What is wrong with the 12mm case savers? Are the threads in the case messed up?

CB has these. https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6536.htm

Why not just replace them? Save the extra work and case material.

Brian
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

If I change out the 7/16-14 and use an oversized insert wouldn’t it be best to have all the others match? I’m not sure about the strength of the rest of the inserts. I believe one needs to be changed. The threads on the stud looked somewhat rolled over.

How does one remove an old insert?

And thanks for the replies. I’ve been reading old insert threads on the Samba and based on that it looked like if one is bad they are all suspect and best to replace them.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
https://www.timesert.com/

These are interesting. I like the flared end and locking design. Thanks for the link.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

The link I posted are pretty much the industry standard. I would say if the others are fine, and have not been disturbed, I would just leave them. Some guys really loctite the shit out of them, and you will have a hell of a time trying to remove perfectly good case savers.

What do you have going on that is 7/16" thread?

Brian
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

Sometimes you can put a nut on a hard bolt like 10.9 or 12.9 etc, thread it in a good ways until the nut hits the case saver and essentially double nut it with the case saver as one nut and the other as the second nut. If it is too recessed then a spacer or thick washers between the nut and case saver. You may need to hit it with a propane torch a little if there was red loctite used on it originally. If it comes out clean you can put another in. I made a mistake on a couple case savers once and was able to replace them that way. To tighten the nut you hold the bolt head with one wrench and tighten the nut against the saver and hold it tight as you use the bolt to unscrew it.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

Brian the wonky 7/16-14 was where somebody used an all thread rod to replace a 8mm stud that had pulled out.

SGKent, if I have to remove them I can go with heat or drill them out. I may see about the bolt trick you described. Thx.

All my case inserts are deep.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

Bugged Again wrote:
Brian the wonky 7/16-14 was where somebody used an all thread rod to replace a 8mm stud that had pulled out.

Do all the other studs have 12mm case savers in them?

The way it sounds, I would just drill the 7/16 threads out, tap them to 12mm and install a 12x8mm case saver. Minimal work, and minimal material removal.

If the others don't have case savers, do them all to 12mm now. No since in jumping right to 14mm. The 14mm threads will get into the cylinder bore if you want to go to larger cylinders down the road.

Brian
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Case saver inserts - quality suggestions Reply with quote

Brian, Since I need a line bore I’m going to get a second opinion on the condition of the inserts. Maybe the threads can be saved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: