Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

End play opinions? (video)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Link

For some reason, I never could see any end play at all before, no matter how much I pulled and pushed on the crank pulley. Now I suddenly do? It's hard to tell how much but I'd guess somewhere in the range of 1/32" to 1/16"?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

The rule is:
If you can see it, it's bad.
If you only feel it, it's ok.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The rule is:
If you can see it, it's bad.
If you only feel it, it's ok.

It's a highly neglected 40HP (1965 serial block) in a baja that wasn't being filtered properly at all in the desert from a past owner. The oil strainer was VERY sledged, like it hasn't been dropped in 20+ years. I put in 15w40 and a new strainer, and it seems to run ok. Burns & leaks some though. Not sure if it's worth trying to save? 40HP cases (in need of machining) aren't very expensive. I'm nomadic and have to leave here in about 2 months, dragging the car behind my RV. It's a secondary car I got for a runabout and for light off road use (hence me getting a baja) but paying insurance on a car I can't use at all kind of stinks. It'll be at least Sept or Oct before I could even consider pulling the engine when I have a paved driveway to use, unless I attempt it out here in the desert with plywood on the ground for the floor jack to roll on. Probably not ideal, though.

Maybe I'll just run it, keeping a watch on the end play, and hope for the best.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Leave it and drive it till it fails.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Leave it and drive it till it fails.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I usually come back down this way around early Nov-April 1, and some old guy sells rebuilt 40HP engines for about $1k, but he has awful reviews so ehhh.

I don't care about having the fastest motor or anything, so maybe I can find something reasonable 1200cc-1500cc to replace it later on.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
[some old guy sells rebuilt 40HP engines for about $1k, but he has awful reviews so ehhh.

You can't "rebuild" an engine for $1000.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2275331
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505284
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505284

Yes, I saw that thread.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
Glenn wrote:

The ad:

At the most they might be freshened up with new gaskets. I do not believe you can buy all the parts needed for a full rebuild for that amount.
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

I took the best measurement I could with feeler gauges between the pulley and case, at the nub that sticks out by the case split that you use for TDC alignment with the pulley. The rough measurement I got was 0.0236 inch. Let's assume it's a bit more and go up to 0.03", that's a hair under 1/32". It could be worse. I've read threads where people saw engines still going with 1/4" play (~8x as bad as mine).
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Cubey wrote:
Glenn wrote:

The ad:

At the most they might be freshened up with new gaskets. I do not believe you can buy all the parts needed for a full rebuild for that amount.

Yeah, I figured it might be a "refresh" rather than a "rebuild". Maybe new rings, honed cyls, etc.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: End play opinions? (video) Reply with quote

Cubey wrote:
I took the best measurement I could with feeler gauges between the pulley and case, at the nub that sticks out by the case split that you use for TDC alignment with the pulley. The rough measurement I got was 0.0236 inch. Let's assume it's a bit more and go up to 0.03", that's a hair under 1/32". It could be worse. I've read threads where people saw engines still going with 1/4" play (~8x as bad as mine).

I would run it the way it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: