Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Swivel Seat Swap Thread
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Official Swivel Seat Swap Thread Reply with quote

Hello all,

Apologies if I am not the first to do this or not posting in the right place, but I think I came up with a pretty good idea.

I understand that there is a swivel market for both Tin Top and Westy Vanagon owners.

Tin Top owners WANT swivel seats and Westfalia owners REMOVE swivel seats for various reasons.

HOWEVER some want to yield the same seat height after this modification is complete because Tin Top and camper seats sit at different heights.

What better way to do that than to TRADE.

That would be easier to accomplish if they could connect right?

I think this thread could be a good outlet for this demand so everyone can post what they have/ want and connect people to make trades and hopefully be able to trade for a matching seat (like I am trying to do right now)

Charlotte, NC
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official Swivel Seat Swap Thread Reply with quote

I have a 1985 Westy and am looking to swap my driver seat and swivel for a matching Tin Top version.

I will trade straight up for the seats
$200 for the swivel
Located in Charlotte, NC

Pics below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Charlotte, NC
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Swivel Seat Swap Thread Reply with quote

Tin top owner here. For clarification, Westy owners typically remove the drivers side swivel since it cannot swing the full 180° like the passenger correct?

And drivers/passenger swivel hardware is interchangeable? I believe the only difference between driver/passenger seats themselves is the side the levers for sliding the base and leveraging the back are on.

-Rob
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Swivel Seat Swap Thread Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Tin top owner here. For clarification, Westy owners typically remove the drivers side swivel since it cannot swing the full 180° like the passenger correct?

And drivers/passenger swivel hardware is interchangeable? I believe the only difference between driver/passenger seats themselves is the side the levers for sliding the base and leveraging the back are on.

-Rob

Hi Rob,

The reasons vary, but the one you mentioned is one of the reasons why it is so easy to part with the swivel, as a westy owner. It doesn't serve much of a purpose for most owners.

However, the remove gains access to the "storage" directly below the swivel, which is often times used for charging electronics for dual battery systems. This is why I removed mine.

Pic below:

Both the driver and passenger seats are interchangeable (aside from the seat adjustment levers like you mentioned) as well as the welded base.

Charlotte, NC
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Swivel Seat Swap Thread Reply with quote

we remove the drivers side swivel on every in our family fleet
we install a swivel into every non-westy in our family fleet.

swivel pass seat should have been a factory option on any trim level

add in to VWs short sightedness on not making a tintop with dual slide in middle row singles.. again shouldn't have been a westy only option. not everybody wants their kids sitting together in a 2spot middle bench. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: