Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

if you think you are smarter than the previous generation..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
No, not being able to count change is due to being promoted from 2nd grade when you should have been held back!

If a kid can't count change it isn't the school that let them down.....

What about an adult?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
No, not being able to count change is due to being promoted from 2nd grade when you should have been held back!

If a kid can't count change it isn't the school that let them down.....

What about an adult?

Please see the last sentence. Sometimes a simple task to some is challenging to others. I can count back change old school without the aid of a cash register. However………when we take inventory my ability to count accurately is shameful and embarrassing.

Wikipedia knowledge:
“Dyslexia, also known until the 1960s as word blindness, is a disorder characterized by reading below the expected level for one's age.[1][6] Different people are affected to different degrees.[3] Problems may include difficulties in spelling words, reading quickly, writing words, "sounding out" words in the head, pronouncing words when reading aloud and understanding what one reads.[3][7] Often these difficulties are first noticed at school.[2] The difficulties are involuntary, and people with this disorder have a normal desire to learn.[3] People with dyslexia have higher rates of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), developmental language disorders, and difficulties with numbers.”

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Old people just need to be done away with, they are useless drains. Soylent Green

Wow!! You pulled out Soylent Green. Nice!!!

I always think……….. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tough Shinola, Logan 5

We will name a berry after you…..
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

First it was calculators because we couldn't use the slide rule. Then came digital clocks & watches because we didn't know how to read the hands. Then came digital scales because we couldn't figure out the little marks between the numbers that we didn't know how to read. Now there's digital tapes because we don't know what the little marks are between the numbers that we can't read. Notice a pattern here(besides my complaining)?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I don't think it's because we couldn't use the analog products. I think it's because a business (read: money-making) opportunity came up that capitalized on (see what I did there?) laziness.

Digital also happens to be more accurate than analog. Or at least it's easier to read accurately, which is the whole idea.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

first we didnt have any oxygen because there wasnt an atmosphere,then it was anaerobic respiration, because we didnt know how to breathe, then it was lungs because gills werent cutting it anymore , then it was fire because the cold was a drag, then it was the wheel,even though i had no problem walking and carrying everything, but we werent allowed to do that anymore with the new fangled wheel, then it was farming, in the old days we just wandered around and we were fine! now they stay still in one place! its crazy! then it was all of the sudden this new religion, the old one was fine for me, then they changed the way we dressed, i had no problem with the animal skins but these new guys insist that the cloth they make is better,then they changed the language and made us all learn a new one, like there was anything at all wrong with the old one. then they changed the rules, and now we cant club people to death and take their stuff, i say if you cant stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Increased Co2 pollutant levels have lowered IQs and made people want electric cars….
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Increased Co2 pollutant levels have lowered IQs and made people want electric cars….

It hasn't drifted into my territory yet. The only thing I see is this giant white balloon.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

So we did it to ourselves, didn't we?!

Or, conversely, the developers of the ICE engine, and then the initial cars they were put in, were all part of grand scheme to eventually replace said ICE powered vehicles with EV by brainwashing, er, brainpolluting the populace.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

It hasn't drifted into my territory yet. The only thing I see is this giant white balloon.

That’s not a balloon.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

That’s not a balloon.

I tried shooting it down with my pellet gun but within 5 minutes ATF was all over me like flies on a rib roast. They asked me for my FOID card. I think I'm in trouble.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I don't think it's because we couldn't use the analog products. I think it's because a business (read: money-making) opportunity came up that capitalized on (see what I did there?) laziness.

Digital also happens to be more accurate than analog. Or at least it's easier to read accurately, which is the whole idea.

Not necessarily true! 5:58 at a glance means that it is some time after 5:00 but a quick look at the old analog clock tells me instantly that it is BY-GOD-BLOODY-NEAR 6:00 AND I AM LATE AGAIN!!!

Here is another one. Digital readouts for vehicle dashes are a complete failure. You don't look at a speedometer long enough to decipher the difference between 31 mph and 37 mph in heavy traffic without the risk of getting in a wreck. Same with the tach, you cannot sift quickly and accurately using a digital tach. An analog one in your peripheral vision works perfectly!

Here is an example from my working past. Setting or even reading a flow rate or a pressure or a temperature in a slightly unstable process with the 2 lower digits scrolling up and down is virtually impossible but put an analog meter on it and Bingo! I got this!

I am convinced that the human brain is analog and all digital information has to go through a translation process before it can be useful to us. That takes time. The human brain processes analog nearly instantly. That ice ball the neighbor kid just fired at your head is not travelling by digital increments through the air and your brain knows it! No deciphering needed!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Yes, we are analog for sure. Digital has its place, but generally not in human interfaces.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yes, we are analog for sure. Digital has its place, but generally not in human interfaces.

Where does Digitalis fit in?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Calculators, word processors, data entry systems, computers, some process control, traffic lights...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Calculators, word processors, data entry systems, computers, some process control, traffic lights...

Look again!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
First it was calculators because we couldn't use the slide rule. Then came digital scales because we couldn't figure out the little marks between the numbers that we didn't know how to read.

I was in college when Hewlett-Packard came out with their first hand-held calculator, was $395. Went to $295 my senior year. I used my yellow plastic slide rule, some professors would not allow the calculators.

When I started work, my Analytical Chemistry department all shared one desktop calculator with a paper tape, except one guy still used his slide rule. I still have two slide rules. But slide rules couldn't produce the required number of "significant figures" some times.

By 1980 I used my girlfriend's hand held calculator which was under $10 by then, and we were later able to buy one for everyone by sneaking them through purchasing as "mathematical aid". I had to repair that original calculator by grafting on an on-off switch and several buttons.

The digital scales and balances actually saved quite a lot of time, and were very handy for weighing samples and standards that had volatility. And minimized chance of errors and eliminated the vernier scales....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

I love this topic. It does remind me of some of the lyrics for that song "Everybody's Free"

"Accept certain inalienable truths
Prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too, will get old
And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young
Prices were reasonable, politicians were noble
And children respected their elders"

Link

Now, get off my lawn!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: if you think you are smarter than the previous generation.. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
First it was calculators because we couldn't use the slide rule. Then came digital scales because we couldn't figure out the little marks between the numbers that we didn't know how to read.

I was in college when Hewlett-Packard came out with their first hand-held calculator, was $395. Went to $295 my senior year. I used my yellow plastic slide rule, some professors would not allow the calculators.

When I started work, my Analytical Chemistry department all shared one desktop calculator with a paper tape, except one guy still used his slide rule. I still have two slide rules. But slide rules couldn't produce the required number of "significant figures" some times.

By 1980 I used my girlfriend's hand held calculator which was under $10 by then, and we were later able to buy one for everyone by sneaking them through purchasing as "mathematical aid". I had to repair that original calculator by grafting on an on-off switch and several buttons.

The digital scales and balances actually saved quite a lot of time, and were very handy for weighing samples and standards that had volatility. And minimized chance of errors and eliminated the vernier scales....

Around 1973 I worked with a guy who bought one of those HP calculators for a couple hundred bucks. All it could do was add, subtract, multiply, & divide. I told him he was nuts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: