Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality: '31 Ford vs. Old Beetles
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality: '31 Ford vs. Old Beetles Reply with quote

Reference the Sun, Mark Hodge, 4 Jan, 2018 article stating that Hitler started Volkswagen in 1937. The factory was destroyed during WW2 and was rebuilt by the British army.

The firm was rescued by a British army major, Ivan Hirst, who convinced his bosses of the car’s potential — it’s unique design. He and his partner, Colonel Charles Radcliffe, rebranded the company as Volkswagen producing as many as 1000 cars/ month by 1946. Going on to produce over 20 million Beetles alone!

It’s interesting that a lot of Model A owners also own Beetles. I do believe the Fords A and T were made of great steel — much better than that of later Fords. Ninety plus years and not much rust (on my car and many of those owned by friends). But, the old block that had been rebuilt on my car was so cracked as to be unusable. The engine case in the VW has survived two rebuilds. I don’t believe the steel used in making the VW was as good as that used for the Model A but what was then?

Model A tudors and coupes were mainly all steel bodies — wood was used in roofs and upholstery tacking. I believe the first Chevy produced with a one piece stamped steel roof was done in 1936.

I believe the Model A can be considered one of the best cars ever made based on its survival rate.

The Model A and VW Beetle are both great cars!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Quality: '31 Ford vs. Old Beetles Reply with quote

My beetle seems to have a few parts made out of cardboard, and paper tubes too. Very Happy Its endearing.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Quality: '31 Ford vs. Old Beetles Reply with quote

I think an interesting comparison would be between Ford-made & Willys-made WW2 Jeeps. At the time, Ford was an automotive giant & Willys was unknown. Just my 2 cents.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality: '31 Ford vs. Old Beetles Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
My beetle seems to have a few parts made out of cardboard, and paper tubes too. Very Happy Its endearing.

But not just any old garden variety "cardboard"
No Sir------only the finest European Papier-Mache'. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: