Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Different aspect Side Mirrors?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

wide mirror on left and tall mirror on right?

Anyone know the true origins of why? From my US left drivers position the grab handle blocks my view of part of the tall right side mirror. Makes me wonder if the setup we have was intended for right side drivers (UK).
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

I have always wondered the same. At first I thought it had to do with the uncut window panel on the camper's limiting the blind spot field of view, but then I noticed that all eurovans have this mirror configuration. Only thing I can come up with is that it minimizes the blind spot based on the distance the drivers eye is to each mirror.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

I did finally look at photos of vans from the UK and their mirrors are the reverse, so VW does have some reason for putting the wide mirror close to the driver and the tall mirror on the opposite side.
rocknroj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

They work really well if you need to back up with a trailer. I tow and launch a boat a lot as well as junk hauler trailer and am glad they are that way.. The only thing that bothers me is the 'objects appear closer' thing. Thought about trying to find regular glass but the current config is better for seeing those cars that love to ride in my blind spot.
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

rocknroj wrote:
They work really well...... Thought about trying to find regular glass but the current config is better for seeing those cars that love to ride in my blind spot.

Or those hungry dinosaurs.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
rocknroj wrote:
They work really well...... Thought about trying to find regular glass but the current config is better for seeing those cars that love to ride in my blind spot.

Or those hungry dinosaurs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

The Germans have a reason for everything. We just may never know...
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

HeyCrutch wrote:
I did finally look at photos of vans from the UK and their mirrors are the reverse, so VW does have some reason for putting the wide mirror close to the driver and the tall mirror on the opposite side.

Somewhere on here there's a thread where @itsamoto used RH drive mirrors to make both of his North American EV mirrors the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

[/url]

Yep -- ordered a RHD T4 mirror -- which I painted up to match.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
[/url]

Yep -- ordered a RHD T4 mirror -- which I painted up to match.

Was there a reason you did this. Was the asymmetric just driving you nuts.

Any insight on why they are not the same to begin with?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Different aspect Side Mirrors? Reply with quote

Asymmetrical side mirrors have been found on cars for a few decades. I call seeing them first on some 80s era Mercedes cars, but even earlier cars had them.

One thought is that the passenger mirror is already convex, thus offering a wide horizontal reflection, although in a narrower mirror than the driver side. Making the passenger mirror vertical saves some space horizontally while affording an opportunity to provide a larger vertical aspect, which can allow you to obtain more visual information of objects at longer distances farther behind you, or of taller objects. Think of the process of passing a tractor trailer, and the kind of visual feedback needed to re-merge after passing.

My new aftermarket mirrors from Lativa have the newer aspherical design on the driver side (horizontal mirror). They have a black line demarcating the outer 20% of the mirror with the aspherical optics. I really like them.

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: