Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual port heads on single port case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
northernopposition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

Quick question here: I know the middle two upper case studs need to be changed to accept dual port heads but can someone just tell me what length they are supposed to be? I have some extra studs kicking around and I’m hoping I have some. I’m feeling doubtful that I do so if have 4 you want to sell……
Thanks.

Last edited by northernopposition on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

184mm
northernopposition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
northernopposition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

Would it be stupid to cut the slightly longer SP studs and rethread them?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

northernopposition wrote:
Quick question here: I know the middle two upper case studs need to be changed to accept dual port heads

I did just that in 1976 when I made a 1970 single port "B" engine into dual port.

But I bought 4 shorter studs, likely at the dealer back then. I'm still using the single port tins that I cut/made fit back then, and have used DP tins waiting until if/when that 1835cc engine comes apart.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

The threads are rolled onto the stud, not cut.
The diameter is not large enough to cut more threads. But you could maybe use spacers.
Maybe could roll more threads on it if you have a thread rolling machine.

A full sets of head studs are reasonably priced.
Maybe it's time for fresh ones.
northernopposition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

That makes sense. I’ll quit trying to be cheap and just do it right. Thanks.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

I have never heard of singleport case. Only heads -

Single-relief case -sure. Laughing

He must mean muffler bearings.
northernopposition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

Meaning a dual relief case that came with single port heads, thus having longer upper middle studs than the same case that came with dual port heads.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

northernopposition wrote:
Meaning a dual relief case that came with single port heads, thus having longer upper middle studs than the same case that came with dual port heads.

Yes. I made my 1970 dual relief case into dual port, and 1835cc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
I have never heard of singleport case. Only heads -

guess you haven't looked...
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

The doc put a camera in the single relief outlet in the rear "case" and proceeded to tell me there's diverticulosis near the exhaust and that I need to consider what goes in the intake.

Oh wait, what are we talking about?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual port heads on single port case Reply with quote

Here is my personal observations. All of the dual port engines that came from VW had dual relief valve cases. All of the single port engines that came from VW had single relief valve cases except for the last year or two of the 1600 SP engines in the type1 and 2s. There may be exceptions to that but the only other one that I am aware of is that some of the single port industrial engines had dual relief cases too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: