Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Is this factory? I'm suspecting it is, I have no reason to believe that this body has ever been off this pan.

1965 Beetle, there is some additional weather-stripping type material right over back of the tunnel. I have looked at some pans from body-offs here in the forum and haven't seen this before.

Also staples at each intersection, I'm assuming this is factory too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Both is factory

e.g.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7982775
https://bugfans.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13980&hilit=chassisdichtung

111 701 621 - "Sealing strip — Frame fork"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Käfer2 wrote:
Both is factory

Thank you so much, I never could've found those.

Interestingly, in the "bugfans" thread, it looks like the user is laying that strip under the O.E. style gasket at the back end.

Also, looks like he is getting creative and adding additional strip between the bulbs on that replacement gasket. I wonder if that's to compensate for a thinner web on newer replacement gaskets. I know there's a photo somewhere around here showing comparison of NOS to today's reproduction.

I'd like to translate the contents of his posts to English to get the gist of what he's doing.

I'm curious about adding another strip down the middle, but I know that depending on density, foam strip can seem soft when you squeeze with two fingers, but over a large surface area, the foam actually becomes quite stiff and difficult to compress, which I would fear could prevent the body from really settling down entirely onto the gasket and resting on the other rubber mounting pads externally. Probably better for me to stay conservative and go original style (or else a much thinner strip down between the bulbs.
Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:

Interestingly, in the "bugfans" thread, it looks like the user is laying that strip under the O.E. style gasket at the back end.

The user VeeDee is also here at thesamba

I think he rather uses double-sided tape under the gasket to "glue" the gasket to the pan in that area.

Busstom wrote:

Also, looks like he is getting creative and adding additional strip between the bulbs on that replacement gasket. I wonder if that's to compensate for a thinner web on newer replacement gaskets. I know there's a photo somewhere around here showing comparison of NOS to today's reproduction.

Look at his photo also showing comparison of NOS to today's reproduction pressed in the vice.
Yes, it's for mentioned compensation of thinner gasket, and also to keep water out of this "gutter" which might otherwise collect there and run into the interior of the vehicle elsewhere

Busstom wrote:

I'm curious about adding another strip down the middle, but I know that depending on density, foam strip can seem soft when you squeeze with two fingers, but over a large surface area, the foam actually becomes quite stiff and difficult to compress, which I would fear could prevent the body from really settling down entirely onto the gasket and resting on the other rubber mounting pads externally. Probably better for me to stay conservative and go original style (or else a much thinner strip down between the bulbs.

I used 3M™ Scotchfoam 4714 (6,4 mm x 12,7 mm) in year 2018, which I punched for the screws before. No problems so far concerning your "worries".

In the "111 701 621 - "Sealing strip — Frame fork" - area I used a second layer, tapered for a good transition to the first layer.

Not cutting the gasket completely in the rear corners instead of stapels is also recommended by him to keep water out, also to add some "Mike Sanders" on the scotchfoam. I also did that in 2018:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Kafer2, thanks for expanding on the subject and connecting the dots for me. I've got some things to think about as I move on this pan.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

VeeDee is a good friend, always has good suggestions "in stock".
Using a new body to pan gasket, I reused the original additional grey strip over the gearbox section.
Seeing this thread I would like to remember, that the gaskets available today correspond with the latest style of rubber gasket VW designed. they changed it for the 1964 model year. You have to think about it, when you do not want to have trouble with door alignment after assembling the body. With the newer style of gasket, the body will set deeper, the rubber blocks under the rear and front support will have a strong impact on the door parallelogram!

So it is a good idea from VeeDee to fill out the gaskets gap with an additional weather strip.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Ahhh, yes, that pic reminds me of the other one I saw somewhere here Thumbs Up

After searching and having his username, I found it (below). I also linked the relevant thread from the Ovals forum in case anyone searches here and wants more good info.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9294449&highlight=#9294449

Photo courtesy of VeeDee

Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

The change can also be seen in the April 1963 spare parts list

Beetle Parts Book July 1956
111 701 605

VW_Spare_Parts_List_Type_1_May_1960
111 701 605

1961 Beetle Parts Book German
(supplement 13, 1962)
111 701 605

Beetle Parts Book April 1963
111 701 605 (- 5 677 118; July 1963)
111 701 605 A (5 677 119 – ; August 1963)

1971_type1part
113 701 605
only this part number is mentioned for all years, 111 701 605 or 111 701 605 A is no longer mentioned

Conclusions:
- End of 60s/beginning of 70s, only the newer style was available as spare part
- All in all 3 part numbers were mentioned; 111 701 605 til 7.63, then 111 701 605 A, followed by 113 701 605
Käfer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

I also searched the spare parts list for the "additional weather strip" 111 701 621 of Busstoms initial post, to get back on topic a little bit:

Beetle Parts Book July 1956
-

Beetle Parts Book October 1957
111 701 621 "Additional frame sealing strip, rear"

VW_Spare_Parts_List_Type_1_May_1960
111 701 621 "Sealing strip - Frame fork"

1961 Beetle Parts Book German
(supplement 13, 1962)
111 701 621 "Dichtung auf Rahmengabelung"

Beetle Parts Book April 1963
111 701 621 "Dichtung auf Rahmengabelung"

1971_type1part
111 701 621 "Sealing strip - Frame fork"

Conclusions:
- "additional weather strip" is not listed in Beetle Parts Book July 1956 yet
- part number does not change over the years
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Body to Pan Gasket: additional weatherstripping? Reply with quote

Very cool! Little-known facts to me Smile Funny they changed the description in May of '60.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: