Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

I sold my 1969 Beetle, Cobalt Blue with Primered fenders around 1988/1989 to someone in San Jose, or Sunnyvale, CA. I worked at Tandem Computers and I sold it to a coworker. I doubt it still exists. I know the license plate number, but not the VIN. How do you go about finding the car if it still exists?

I looked on DMV and they will only give history of a car you currently own.

Obviously the car has only sentimental value so it makes not sense to spend allot in finding it.

Thanks

Brian
(and yes, I'd otherwise be in the market for another '68 or '69 (don't like the '70's... )
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

We had a Tandem Computer installation at Hughes Aircraft Company back in the 1980s. They did the demonstration with the bolt cutters showing it kept on processing anyway! Somewhere I still have my 2-handled coffee cup.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
We had a Tandem Computer installation at Hughes Aircraft Company back in the 1980s. They did the demonstration with the bolt cutters showing it kept on processing anyway! Somewhere I still have my 2-handled coffee cup.

X200000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

BrianM wrote:
I'd otherwise be in the market for another '68 or '69 (don't like the '70's... )

"Everyone knows" '67 is the best.

But then...

'68 was the last year of the "early" heater channels. And... I can actually get replacement rear aprons for '68 on up.

'69 is cool, too. I have a '69 under a tarp out back. "First year" IRS is cool. I like bein' able to swap any "12 volt" motor into my '67 and up.

Oddly '67 to around '70 parcel shelves seem prone to rust. The area behind the back seat rusts quicker and easier than earlier Bugs.

It's arguable '69- up is a better driver than '68 and down.

Wouldn't toss a '70 out of bed for eating crackers. I likes me a dual relief 1600 single port only available in '70.

Nuffin' wrong with '71, either.

Or '72.

IMO the seats on '73 are goofy. So are the upper rear quarter panels pumped full of foam. The foam traps water resulting in the dreaded upper quarter panel rust.

I would be smiling so broadly I would hurt my face if Mahindra in India purchased the old Bug body tooling and stamped out new "old" Bugs. I'll design the motor. I figure a 49 state legal Vanagon motor with modern engine controls would do the trick. Maybe with an aluminum cased 5 speed that bolts straight in to earlier Bugs?! Cool

BrianM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I had not heard of the "Bolt Cutters" demo.. the story that I knew that was pretty cool was that after the Loma Prieta Earthquake (think 1989 World Series, San Francisco Giants vs Oakland A's) a data center in Santa Cruz using Tandem Computers got hit pretty hard. Tandem systems were massively parallel both from a hardware and software point of view. If any one component failed, it was backed up by some parallel unit so nothing was ever lost. When you wanted to go faster, you plugged in MORE processors 'til you ran out of space in that cabinet. On the fly, you could just bolt another cabinet to what you had, and keep expanding without having to power down.

So after the quake, operators were in their control room, outside the COLD NOISY computer room and found that there was nothing amiss. The story goes (as related by CEO Jimmy Treybig) that not until an operator went into the Computer room to change a tape was it discovered that an entire row of cabinets (1200lbs apiece) had fallen over on their backs and were happily chugging along.. no overheat, no transaction missed....
BrianM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
BrianM wrote:
I'd otherwise be in the market for another '68 or '69 (don't like the '70's... )

"Everyone knows" '67 is the best.

But then...

'68 was the last year of the "early" heater channels. And... I can actually get replacement rear aprons for '68 on up.

'69 is cool, too. I have a '69 under a tarp out back. "First year" IRS is cool. I like bein' able to swap any "12 volt" motor into my '67 and up.

Oddly '67 to around '70 parcel shelves seem prone to rust. The area behind the back seat rusts quicker and easier than earlier Bugs.

It's arguable '69- up is a better driver than '68 and down.

Wouldn't toss a '70 out of bed for eating crackers. I likes me a dual relief 1600 single port only available in '70.

Nuffin' wrong with '71, either.

Or '72.

IMO the seats on '73 are goofy. So are the upper rear quarter panels pumped full of foam. The foam traps water resulting in the dreaded upper quarter panel rust.

I would be smiling so broadly I would hurt my face if Mahindra in India purchased the old Bug body tooling and stamped out new "old" Bugs. I'll design the motor. I figure a 49 state legal Vanagon motor with modern engine controls would do the trick. Maybe with an aluminum cased 5 speed that bolts straight in to earlier Bugs?! Cool

I have not owned a car since my '69 which had the same quality build. Doors still sealed (original rubber) every time and we must have had 200K miles on the car (multiple engines or course, but same transaxle.. no problems). Didn't care for the shit-foam dash cover, but other than that, loved that car. Made it extra fun when I put a Balanced Crank, 1641 with mild cam, dual port head, and dual Kadrons... smooth and quick.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

This is oddly appropriate:

Link

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Find my Old Beetle last seen San Jose, CA Reply with quote

“Put a hundred down and buy yourself a car….”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: