Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door handle install - Filler issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathanj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Door handle install - Filler issues Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have a 69 and the door handles, or rather the mechanisms were a real PITA to lock and unlock. I bought some replacements and installed the passenger side no problem.

When it came to the driver side, I realised (after a lot of messing around) that the area around the handle has about 1.5cm of filler. This means two things, the original handle (the thin end) never sat in the door frame. It was merely held against the door by the frame screw. It was also probably why it was such a pain to lock and unlock. The mechanism must be at an angle when the lever is pulled.

All this to say, does anyone have any bright ideas on how I can install the new handle/lever? I don't want to file it down so it also just sits on top of the door. But the "T" is too short to hook inside.

As you can see in the photos, the filler is way too deep for the heel to reach the frame.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by nathanj on Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle install - Filler issues Reply with quote

Post good pictures.

Upload to Samba Gallery, then link in this window.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
nathanj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle install - Filler issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Post good pictures.

Yep, will have to take some. I should have done this earlier.
nathanj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle install - Filler issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Post good pictures.

I finally got around to adding some photos.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle install - Filler issues Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for you. I think the only way to fix that is going to be the right way, and get another door. I really don't see any type of work around on this one. Maybe bending the locking linkage or mechanism, but now you are ruining (modifying) another part in order to fix something that is already modified. It's called chasing your tail.
nathanj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle install - Filler issues Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a suggestion for you. I think the only way to fix that is going to be the right way, and get another door. I really don't see any type of work around on this one. Maybe bending the locking linkage or mechanism, but now you are ruining (modifying) another part in order to fix something that is already modified. It's called chasing your tail.

Well that sucks Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: