Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Beetle engine pull adventure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rods look great I wouldn’t change a thing
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
#2 and 4 are a little slow. But that could be due to cold temps.

You did measure the bearings, carefully, right?

Who is the bearing manufacturer?

Standard sized rod bearings for non-machined crankshaft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Those are what I use in my latest build. Except .010 undersize, I had DPR repair my crankshaft.

Likely, cold temps are affecting your rod drop test.
I tried STP on my rod bearings. When cold , the rod drop was almost non-excitant.

Run it!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
No longer your camping pot, no more food use. Yea, after I said I used coffee cans I realized how many years ago that was and when was the last time I saw a real coffee "Can".

got to your local elementary school kitchen and ask for a #10 can.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Commercial food cans, Didn't think of that. Good idea. Those cans come in very handy for all sorts of things from small parts storage to parts cleaning.
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Could be cold that’s causing the rods to fall slower as mentioned above. You should be ok as is. Sometimes light hammer taps with a soft faced hammer at the bolts cans loosen a slower dropping rods to be like the others. With your rods there I think you’re fine. I’ve built/rebuilt quite a few of these. All the best with your build.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Before setting the crank back in, a few questions to establish that I'm still an amateur.

When setting the crankshaft back in, should I be concerned at this point with the timing dots location, rods stroke location, and with the distributor gear location? Such as having rods and distributor gear at what will be TDC? Or is all that established later when I lay in the cam?

And is it advisable to have the distributor gear in place at this time, or does it get placed later to establish where you want TDC? To make sure my distributor ends up oriented as standard instead of out of standard rotation as it was before.

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You don't need to worry where the rods are. You just need to make sure the crank seats correctly by lining up the bearing dowels.

Set the crank in the case half. When you think the crank is set in properly, take the second half of the spilt bearing and lay it on the crank. It should sit down on the crank, and not be able to wiggle back and forth. If it does wiggle, you have a bearing that's not aligned.

After that's done, lay the cam in where the dots align. If you need to move the crank to get them to mesh, then check again with the bearing half the crank goes back in.

You are not worried about where TDC is. If the dots on the cam and crank are aligned, your good.

You can install the distributor drive now, or later when the short block is together. Just make sure you install a distributor also. Without a distributor, the distributor drive can walk up the bore and chew up the brass gear.

Point of note: you can place on a crank pulley to turn the crank to TDC when you drop the distributor drive gear in. The crank key will be facing left as you look at the pulley end.

The dots on the cam gear and crank will NOT be touching at this point. Don't worry. The only thing that matters is when you do spin the crank around, they meet. The pulley will tell you where TDC is and you can orient the distributor drive gear like the photos.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

^^^^^ this because if you follow Tom Wilson’s way it will be wrong, it is a mistake in his book.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
You don't need to worry where the rods are. You just need to make sure the crank seats correctly by lining up the bearing dowels.

Set the crank in the case half. When you think the crank is set in properly, take the second half of the spilt bearing and lay it on the crank. It should sit down on the crank, and not be able to wiggle back and forth. If it does wiggle, you have a bearing that's not aligned.

After that's done, lay the cam in where the dots align. If you need to move the crank to get them to mesh, then check again with the bearing half the crank goes back in.

You are not worried about where TDC is. If the dots on the cam and crank are aligned, your good.

You can install the distributor drive now, or later when the short block is together. Just make sure you install a distributor also. Without a distributor, the distributor drive can walk up the bore and chew up the brass gear.

Point of note: you can place on a crank pulley to turn the crank to TDC when you drop the distributor drive gear in. The crank key will be facing left as you look at the pulley end.

The dots on the cam gear and crank will NOT be touching at this point. Don't worry. The only thing that matters is when you do spin the crank around, they meet. The pulley will tell you where TDC is and you can orient the distributor drive gear like the photos.

thanks for that detailed explanation.
- crank in and confident that the bearings are seated.
- lifters greased and dropped into place in previous order.
- cam in place properly meshing with markings.

per suggestion, I'm going to put on crank pulley, to determine TDC, and then drop in the dist. drive gear and see where I'm at. I would rather put in the dist. now because I'm afraid of dropping those shims into the motor after sealing things up. But first, coffee and re-reading the instructions.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

IMPORTANT!
Don't forget installing the cam plug at the flywheel end of the case, before closing it up for good.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
IMPORTANT!
Don't forget installing the cam plug at the flywheel end of the case, before closing it up for good.

yes, last thing i will do before closing up.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

and don’t forget the slinger before seating! DOH
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

And carefull when putting the case halves together. I somehow managed to destroy the oil slinger, crushing an edge, when putting the cases together on my 1st (or 2nd?) build. Fortunately I didn't damage the case.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
and don’t forget the slinger before seating! DOH

Well there's that too!
Look at the bright side. You get to lay the crank and cam again! Wink

Right before I close up a case. I send a text message to a couple friends, asking them to check my homework?
I usually get a positive answer back. But once in a while, I get a hey you forgot........

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

You must have a very fuzzy shedding dog.
There are a lot of stray white hairs in your engine pics.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
You must have a very fuzzy shedding dog.
There are a lot of stray white hairs in your engine pics.

I do have a hairy border collie that follows me like a shadow. But the hair will provide additional lubrication when it is ground into a smooth mush with the oil. You'll see. While you guys get all excited about your clean engines, I have a dog that thinks Im the king of the world Very Happy

Is it possible that I put the crank Dist. gear on backwards? Having trouble inserting the distributor drive shaft down, so it will mesh with it in the vicinity of TDC.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
And carefull when putting the case halves together. I somehow managed to destroy the oil slinger, crushing an edge, when putting the cases together on my 1st (or 2nd?) build. Fortunately I didn't damage the case.

Wonder how that happened, so I can avoid it? Maybe had it cocked at an angle when closing up?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

The bronze dist drive gear is non-directional. You can't install it in error.

Set your crank to TDC, insert the dist drive shaft until it meshes with the bronze crank gear.
You may have to wiggle the drive shaft or the crank, GENTLY, to get the drive shaft to mesh with the crank gear.
Be very careful. You don't wanna damage the bronze gear by rotating incorrectly.

Beautiful dog you have there!

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Beetle engine pull adventure Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:
vamram wrote:

Wonder how that happened, so I can avoid it? Maybe had it cocked at an angle when closing up?

Yep, I think that's exactly what happened.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 43

Jump to: