Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 40hp engine, what would you do?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Have to redo the engine of a may 61 beelte. There is a strange knocking only when cold (two different sounds at the same time), I suspect there is a partial plugged oil gallery, where only warm more fluid oil can pass. Or it has to do with the change to newer valve springs alone. But we will see.

What I did before:
This engine is supposed to have 180.000 km on it.
- I opened it, and cleaned the case (there was 1cm layer of oil mud as bitumen on its ground).
- the crankshaft was in specs so I gave it new bearings.
- the old style cam was ok
- piston and liners replaced through AA
- cylinder heads replaced by the next type with a straight cover gasket. Changed to short studs. New valves together with later, progessive style springs. New guides.

Now this engine has this knocking what it not had before the rebuild. After 150 - 200m drive the knock disappears, the engine is smooth. Put 3000 km on it, no trouble. Only that knocking that drives me crazy. It sounds harder the colder it is at starting the engine. A deep knocking is present, a high sound only to hear at load, not at idlde but at same time with the deep knock. After short driving both are away. I had trouble with one rod that did not fall down so easy through its own weight. But I cannot believe that this is the cause.

My question is not about the knocking, you can't help me with it.

Next week I get an industrial engine from the same era with 110 hours on it. I plan to open the matching number case and clean it better, especially the oil galleries. Perhaps it might be visible, what the knock was. But however, I would like to take the internal parts of the industrial engine to complete the matching numbers block, of course only, when they are as good as I suppose them to be.
I also will reuse the piston and liners, because I don't like the kind of modern c-clips of the AA pistons and want to stay stock. I also don't like the 3-part piston oil control rings.

My question is concerning the valve train. Of course in any way I reuse the rebuilt to short studs changed heads with additional bores in the fins for cooling.

1) should I stay era correct with old style cam, valve springs and cam follower? Or are these componentes prone to fail?
2) as above but also using the newer style progressive springs? These are in place but I have this knocking in the valve train. After the manual, the newer springs could be used for all engines, also mixed with the older stye springs in one engine. But I doubt this a little.
3) should I update to the newer style cam together with the newer progressive springs and latest style of cam followers? That was introduced one year after my original engine. For this, it is needed to rework the follower bores (grind them shorter) and change the driving wheel of the cam.

Extra question: When I could reuse the piston and liner of the industrial engine, should I control and reset the position of ring gaps or it is recommend to let them as they are? Not that they fit the liner anymore. I have read in one thread, that the rings would change their positon constantly during the run of an engne but I highly doubt this theory. If this would be the case, we would have the situation of smoke at start from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Have to redo the engine of a may 61 beelte. There is a strange knocking only when cold (two different sounds at the same time), I suspect there is a partial plugged oil gallery, where only warm more fluid oil can pass. Or it has to do with the change to newer valve springs alone. But we will see.

I used to have a '67 Chevy I drove from NYC up to the Canadian border every other week, a 350- plus mile trip. There was no secret why that thing knocked... it was worn out! It used gallons of oil every trip. Even more fun, I used to tow Bugs with it. It generally did a 350 mile tow with a Bug behind it at least once a month.

It never blew up.

Much to my surprise...

pastellgreen wrote:
I had trouble with one rod that did not fall down so easy through its own weight. But I cannot believe that this is the cause.

I can believe that's the cause.

pastellgreen wrote:
My question is not about the knocking, you can't help me with it.

Perhaps not. But... this only ends one of two ways. Either it's going to blow a hole through your "numbers match" case or you're going to tear it down and check it until you find the problem. It's not going to go away by itself.

pastellgreen wrote:
Next week I get an industrial engine from the same era with 110 hours on it. I plan to open the matching number case and clean it better, especially the oil galleries.

I would build another engine and run that. Even if I got rid of the knock my "numbers match" engine would be on a pallet in storage.

"Numbers match" don't matter if it has a hole in it.

Just because I have something like 30 rebuildable VW motors...

These go together:

pastellgreen wrote:
I also will reuse the piston and liners, because I don't like the kind of modern c-clips of the AA pistons and want to stay stock. I also don't like the 3-part piston oil control rings.

Extra question: When I could reuse the piston and liner of the industrial engine, should I control and reset the position of ring gaps or it is recommend to let them as they are? Not that they fit the liner anymore. I have read in one thread, that the rings would change their position constantly during the run of an engine but I highly doubt this theory. If this would be the case, we would have the situation of smoke at start from time to time.

It's really common in the Third World to re- use pistons and cylinders. I started re- using cylinders myself. I figure old German beats new not- German.

Trick is to hone the used cylinders. The new AA cylinders should clean up nicely. I have an engine shop right around the corner that can hone cylinders for me, one of the few things I can easily have done on an old aircooled VW. You should be able to mix 'n' match pistons, rings and cylinders to end up with a better than stock set if you know what you're doing. Use new rings and clock 'em so your gaps are up and don't line up.

Don't use any parts you don't trust.

Make sure the arrows on the piston crowns point towards the flywheel. You'll get piston slap, a kind of knock if you don't especially if you have hokey aftermarket pistons that weren't made with the correct pin offset.

Connecting rods need to be hung "lump- up".

pastellgreen wrote:
My question is concerning the valve train. Of course in any way I reuse the rebuilt to short studs changed heads with additional bores in the fins for cooling.

1) should I stay era correct with old style cam, valve springs and cam follower? Or are these components prone to fail?
2) as above but also using the newer style progressive springs? These are in place but I have this knocking in the valve train. After the manual, the newer springs could be used for all engines, also mixed with the older style springs in one engine. But I doubt this a little.
3) should I update to the newer style cam together with the newer progressive springs and latest style of cam followers? That was introduced one year after my original engine. For this, it is needed to rework the follower bores (grind them shorter) and change the driving wheel of the cam.

I would go one of two ways if it was my car. I would likely build up a 1300. We got the 1300 in 1966. I have at least three good or rebuildable 1300s and maybe half a dozen cases. It's an easy build. It's lightly stressed compared to later motors.

I would clean up the ports, do a three angle valve job, squeeze a little more compression out of it, maybe even use a mild performance cam.

Or I would build up a 1965 40 horse, maybe tweak it slightly towards Formula Vee specs.

Either way my "numbers match" engine would be carefully preserved, in storage.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Here is what I usually see in 40hp engines with a knock that goes away when warmed up

Worn connecting rod bushings
Worn connecting rod bearings
Worn lifter bores

That rod you mentioned is a HUGE problem and should have been addressed with the 'rebuild'

Rebuilt rods should have been put in with new bearings and if that was the case a 'stiff' rod will bite you in the ass

You can get the lifter bores sleeved but for a 40hp its usually cost prohibitive
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Thank you both for the first answers.
I forgot to say, the rods have been of course fitted with new bearings. Nonetheless, the one rod fell down by its own weight, but not as fast as the others. Of course I used the light hammer to correct the alignment of the rod halves, but it stayed what it was. I disassembled it agian, had a close look, nothing to see and after reassembly, it stayed.
After reading "worn lifter bores" I hope it was the rod. This would be easy to fix.
The industrial engine has 110 hours, these are about 5000 to 7000 km driving. It was maintained well, the seller said he turns all engines he has in storage by hand regularly after applying a drop oil to the cylinders. I suppose the bearings, piston and liners to be not far away from new and will have a close look on the crank bearings that could be removed. If these are clean, I reuse the whole crank with these bearings, including still assembled rods for the other case.
Or, as Dusty recommends, I use the industrial engine as is. The only thing I would change are the heads, to some with short studs.
I will keep you posted, but it will take some time. Next week it will be very cold again outside and so in the barn, and I will start working at it about 10 degree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
The industrial engine has 110 hours, these are about 5000 to 7000 km driving. It was maintained well, the seller said he turns all engines he has in storage by hand regularly after applying a drop oil to the cylinders. I suppose the bearings, piston and liners to be not far away from new and will have a close look on the crank bearings that could be removed. If these are clean, I reuse the whole crank with these bearings, including still assembled rods for the other case.

Even though I've rebuilt hundreds of VW engines it doesn't get any better than an original engine that's never been touched by anyone who isn't German.

You have an advantage there, "pastellgreen". You can touch it as much as you want, it still hasn't been touched by anyone who isn't German. Cool

pastellgreen wrote:
Or, as Dusty recommends, I use the industrial engine as is. The only thing I would change are the heads, to some with short studs.
I will keep you posted, but it will take some time. Next week it will be very cold again outside and so in the barn, and I will start working at it about 10 degree.

The better you feel, the better your motor will turn out. I've crawled around under enough frozen VWs for one lifetime. Don't rush. Wait for a nice day.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Also forgot to mention worn cam bore as these early cases did not have cam bearings. Good luck finding a machine shop to bore case for bearings these days
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Also forgot to mention worn cam bore as these early cases did not have cam bearings. Good luck finding a machine shop to bore case for bearings these days

the knock wasn't there before I opened the engine, it has to do with something, that has changed during the build.

AlteWagen wrote:
Worn lifter bores
You can get the lifter bores sleeved but for a 40hp its usually cost prohibitive

Today there are oversize lifters offered in different sizes, I would use these instead.
https://raanas-shop.de/VW-Bus-T1-Ersatzteile-1950-...:7545.html
But that would require to shorten the lifter bores at an early 40hp case and the use of the latest style of springs and cam.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Does the engine turn over by hand? Is the knocking present then?

Maybe check for excessive endplay ie front to back movement of the crankshaft. Grab the pulley or flywheel and try to move it back and forth along the crank's axis. Should be just the slightest amount of movement, perhaps .003"-.005" with no heavy clunking/knocking.

What about the oil pump? Can you remove that, check the gears for wear and check the cam where the oil pump gear tang engages?

If all the above checks out then I would say its time to split the case. You'll find the source of the knocking with careful checking, starting with the easiest stuff first.

Let us know what you find please

Ted
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Here's what I see as a possibility: two opened engines, both with some issue, and a VW that doesn't run.
Put that low hour industrial engine to work in the beetle, and enjoy it.
Open the knocking engine that you care to save, and find the problem. If you can't figure it out, send the rods and crank to dpr for a grind, rebuild, and balancing. He'll send it back perfect. Lifter fit is a real issue, I think that many people chase bearing clearances looking for oil pressure issues when the lifter bores are just whooped. But if this case is original to the car and you find the bores to be worn, yeah, have them sleeved. Valve springs, I would choose whichever spring is newer and not worry about standard or progressive wound. Remember these are low revving tractor engines, and not likely to float valves with normal use. Old springs get fatigued, so I generally swap out the springs on any "original" engines that have been asleep for 40-50 years.
Diagnosing the knock
Impossible over the net. Could be piston slap that lessens when the pistons heat up and fit tighter in the cylinder.
Rods generally knock MORE when the engine oil heats and pressure lowers,
but yours is knocking at start when oil pressure is high.
I would suspect a crank knock, coming from a loose main bearing in the case. When the case heats up and expands it grabs the bearing tighter and the knock goes away. Mine takes about 10-15 minutes to get to temp. Only way to know is to measure everything, but with the other engine in and driving you won't be in a hurry, so you'll get it right.
Good luck. SD
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:

the knock wasn't there before I opened the engine, it has to do with something, that has changed during the build.

While many mechanics can get by without being machinists VW engine rebuilders need to be machinists.

If you're not equipped to install case savers, sleeve lifter bores or accurately line bore cases you shouldn't open the case. It's almost inevitable you will find problems that require machine work to fix.

esde wrote:
Here's what I see as a possibility: two opened engines, both with some issue, and a VW that doesn't run.
Put that low hour industrial engine to work in the beetle, and enjoy it.
Open the knocking engine that you care to save, and find the problem. If you can't figure it out, send the rods and crank to dpr for a grind, rebuild, and balancing. He'll send it back perfect.

Good idea, but...

OP lists his location as Germany.

Shipping might get expensive.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

If you're not equipped to install case savers, sleeve lifter bores or accurately line bore cases you shouldn't open the case. It's almost inevitable you will find problems that require machine work to fix.

I disagree. But you should know how to measure those tolerances, and have someone to do the work for you. Many thousands of engines get built by guys that don't have a vertical mill or line bore bar. You just have to know someone.

Dusty1 wrote:
esde wrote:
If you can't figure it out, send the rods and crank to dpr for a grind, rebuild, and balancing. He'll send it back perfect.

Good idea, but...

OP lists his location as Germany.

Shipping might get expensive.

I missed that, but there are surely good options to R&R the crank in Germany. Have them make sure the crank is straight and the journals are in spec, rods straight, etc takes the guesswork out for the average mechanic.

SD
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Thank you esde and dusty.
Perhaps I will run the industrial engine as is and only swap to short studs and add the 6 bores to each head for better cooling. That requires at least disassembling the heads.
I believe, at end it will be something easy to fix with this knocking. The case will be usable. This og engine was never opened before and had no problems with crank bearings loose or similar. Perhaps it is the one rod, or/and it is a partial blocked passage, perhaps in a lifter bore, push rod or rocker. Something like that.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Does the engine turn over by hand? Is the knocking present then?

Maybe check for excessive endplay ie front to back movement of the crankshaft. Grab the pulley or flywheel and try to move it back and forth along the crank's axis. Should be just the slightest amount of movement, perhaps .003"-.005" with no heavy clunking/knocking.

What about the oil pump? Can you remove that, check the gears for wear and check the cam where the oil pump gear tang engages?

If all the above checks out then I would say its time to split the case. You'll find the source of the knocking with careful checking, starting with the easiest stuff first.

Let us know what you find please

Ted

That was all checked and fine during the build. I will let you know when as soon as I take it apart.
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

You said new pistons from AA. Did you get the stock size or go with larger diameter for 1385cc? If so, the pistons skirts might be touching a little bit.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

I disagree. But you should know how to measure those tolerances, and have someone to do the work for you. Many thousands of engines get built by guys that don't have a vertical mill or line bore bar. You just have to know someone.

I rebuilt hundreds of engines myself over the years. But...

The inexpensive Bugs these days come with an engine "that needs to be assembled" in a tote either with the car or in the car. Or... no motor at all.

Many of those "needs assembly" motors need a lot more than assembly. They need line bore, thrust cut, lifter sleeves and case savers. That's if the case isn't cracked, rotted and and has been full of water at one time or another. That's if the case hasn't been beaten to death inside by a loose connecting rod.

The typical "needs assembly" motor often had the crank and rods diligently dis- assembled and left to rust on the floor of the car. Often as not I get three good rods and one not so good rod with a matching wiped- out journal on the crank.

Lotta these things are like a puzzle that's missing a piece or two. It's not obvious something is missing (or unusable) until it's mostly together.

"Knowing someone" frequently leaves me with an empty wallet after paying to polish a turd that's too far gone to shine. Rolling Eyes

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 40hp engine, what would you do? Reply with quote

Just worked on the engine, reset the axial end play. Pulled out the long studs to replace them by short ones. On the outlet valves from the first and third cylinder, there was to find that only these valves seemed not to rotate during their operation of the whole first life as indurstial engine (with 110 hours). The surface of the valve shaft end is absolutely untoched beside the little mark, where the screw was touching. Should I worry about it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: