Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Totally lucked out, was leaving for a quick winter overnighter and my bus stunk like gas. I shut it down immediately, checked underneath and there was a solid puddle with lots of drips coming. Checked the engine bay fuel was leaking from the crimp on the CSV.
Thing worked great before this, and my bus starts in zero-degree weather after only a few cranks.
Is this CSV now junk or is there any way to repair the leak?
I think I know the answer....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

i think you’re right in your assumption. we’ll see what the experts say.

just in case, there’s a used csv in the classifieds for $35 shipped, which he says works. check to make sure it’s the right one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Yeah, that's not good, and not really repairable: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652223

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Its a shame such a stupid failure is a dealbreaker for a hard to find part. Other than the crimp problem, this thing works fine.
I did see the one in the classifieds for $35, but that thing is beat looking. I robbed one off my spare motor, and I know I have another somewhere.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Wasn't there alternative arts from a Volvo or something suggested later in that thread I linked?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Get the hoses off and work a bead of epoxy, the JB weld , non quick set type, into the crimp.

Allow to setup for 24 hours in warm temperature

Reinstall. Run the car for one minute under inspection , then a ten minute ride with cover off , then run for a week of short trips under same conditions.

You will need to inspect that at every fuel stop for six months, then monthly thereafter.

Be honest with yourself. If you won’t adhere to an inspection protocol , then buy a replacement.

I could send you a spare 50 psi fuel pump for testing if you want, pm me
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

no way. That crimp hold back 40 PSI. Once that JBweld starts to leak the bus goes up in flame. Use the real thing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175572118315?chn=ps&n...4sEALw_wcB
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

You can probably use one from any 1970's car with Bosch L-Jet fuel injection, like a 1970's Volvo, Porsche 914 (with 1.8 lter engine), Saab. Those things aren't usually working unless the ambient air temperature gets close to freezing. If the crimped seam's seal is leaking, JB Weld won't be strong enough to fix it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

It’s holding a 75 psi fitting in my AWD Volvo tank just fine. Now at 8000 miles
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
for a guy who makes as much money as you say you do, you could have afforded to fix it right. When it does leak, are you going to take the leaked fuel back to the station and blame them for the leak same as returning used oil and antifreeze for a refund like you say you do? I hope this car doesn't park in a garage where people live adjacent to it.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Well you dodged a bullet! I'm willing to bet there is also a rubber seal in there that's dried out a bit. Mine is feeling so-so - was planning on bypassing it and coming up with some sort of priming system using the main injectors when it finally does.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:
for a guy who makes as much money as you say you do, you could have afforded to fix it right. When it does leak, are you going to take the leaked fuel back to the station and blame them for the leak same as returning used oil and antifreeze for a refund like you say you do? I hope this car doesn't park in a garage where people live adjacent to it.

I just squeak by. I steal photons from the sun , turn them into electrons, and put them into my SmugTank

Broken Volvo fuel pump housing no longer made, had to repair with epoxy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I just squeak by. I steal photons from the sun , turn them into electrons, and put them into my SmugTank

buy a newer car that has parts available and send that one to the crusher where it belongs. And stop being such a cheapskate. Lots of real solutions. I'll bet Don has an answer how to solve it but you pissed him off so much he will probably never share it, leaving you wondering what night the car will start a fire that will burn your home down. At least you will get more heat than the green agenda you support will give you. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

I doubt Don thinks too much about how I make him feel, he’s too busy fixing shinola and enjoying the kids. He’s always helped me out with Volvo crap just as I would do go him if I had any knowledge that spanned beyond his

And we apparently are the only two who don’t think panel bonding structural stuff is a good idea. Well , us and engineers.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Quote:

Well you dodged a bullet! I'm willing to bet there is also a rubber seal in there that's dried out a bit. Mine is feeling so-so - was planning on bypassing it and coming up with some sort of priming system using the main injectors when it finally does

Let me know what you come up with! I'm stunned no one has figured out a re-pop solution for these. I've seen many of the work arounds, but too much going on. The original is Such a simple piece.

Thanks for the insights Abscate! I scored a spare off my spare engine and will look into another one soon
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

bullshit

https://www.partsgeek.com/pjhrzwj-volvo-v70-fuel-p...kPEALw_wcB

i can look up the drivers side sending unit if you'd like. 2 in stock at Valenti

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

12 hours in my driveway on my back to put on a PPS?

I’ll PPP ASS on that, thanks.

I could swap in the OE pump into that housing, though, so thanks for that, Don
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

PPS - Personal Protective Suit? Have things gotten that bad between you and Don? For $112 that is less than the deductible when your Volvo catches fire. It was advertised for a long time as the world's safest car but considering the fuel system can be repaired with JB Weld by a guy who plays with matches ..... well what else is there to say.......

A neat trick to save yourself time when typing is you use that JB Weld to glue some of your fingers to the most commonly used keys - then you can just wiggle those fingers to type the letters...

Mommy, where to ping pong balls come from?
Son, they come from giant weather balloons.
Mommy, do ping pong balls grow up to be giant weather balloons?
Yes son they do.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
12 hours in my driveway on my back to put on a PPS?

I’ll PPP ASS on that, thanks.

I could swap in the OE pump into that housing, though, so thanks for that, Don

12 hours?

drop the straps, drop the VC bolt and let it hang and the tank will flex enough to jam a 2x4 between the floor and tank

worse part is dumping the entire contents of the gas tank out, and fucking with the (not so) quick release fuel lines. I actually have 2 screwdrivers bent to do this.

it's a 10 min job on a lift and no gas in the tank. or was before these became rust buckets

lost my ass on the first one, but the rest built my empire

SG- PPS is professional parts sweden... basically volvo's version of empi

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gas dumping out of Cold Start Valve. Is it junk now? Reply with quote

I managed to do just the tank by pulling exhaust and the whole VC and squeezing it down, but didn’t have the experience to know I could squeeze the tank down by itself. Thanks.

Those fitting are a bastard, and reworked mine with right angle bayonets so I never have to do that again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: