Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2001 EVC battery drain
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurojudy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

I am having issues with a battery drain. I purchased this van in 4/22 and drove it over 1k miles with no issue. Since around September it has sat more and subsequently has had starting issues. The sticker on my battery says 2/22, and is from VW. Last month, I took it to the shop and my guy charged it up, said the battery was fine. It drains in about 24 hours.

I can keep a trickle charger on it and it stays topped up. But removing the charger it is almost dead by the next day.

Where should I look? I did install a backup camera right after I got it but unplugging that from the 12v lighter thingy did not change the outcome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

Where does that wire covered in black corrugated loom cover with the fuse holder go? Car stereo amp possibly? You could remove the fuse from that holder and see if that fixes the issue.
eurojudy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

There is an aftermarket stereo with a big subwoofer in there—but it’s always been there. I’ll try removing the fuse. Where is that? I know very little about car maintenance, esp electrical. I do have a manual tho. I can try that.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

I've circled it.

Troubleshooting this is child's play for any reasonably competent auto mechanic. If you can't figure it out, I suggest you bring it to a shop and let them. [/img]
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

eurojudy wrote:
I am having issues with a battery drain. I purchased this van in 4/22 and drove it over 1k miles with no issue. Since around September it has sat more and subsequently has had starting issues. The sticker on my battery says 2/22, and is from VW. Last month, I took it to the shop and my guy charged it up, said the battery was fine. It drains in about 24 hours.

I can keep a trickle charger on it and it stays topped up. But removing the charger it is almost dead by the next day.

Where should I look? I did install a backup camera right after I got it but unplugging that from the 12v lighter thingy did not change the outcome.

Is the yellow wire coming off the + terminal hook up directly to the house battery isolator? Can't tell from the pic. If so it shouldn't be. IF not where does that wire from the 12+ post go?

Looking at the picture more closely it does look like the relay trigger wire is going back into the boot/cab. What does the yellow wire do. I'd remove all non stock wires to the battery, and see if the drain is fixed. Then added them back one at a time.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

I agree on starting with the non-stock wiring. The aftermarket amp is immediately suspect to me as, unless it has a properly wired relay so it only turns on with the ignition, it will be drawing power at all times.

Also looks like you have a transmission fluid leak (could be coolant too) - if so, get that sorted ASAP.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

Buy a good amperage tester and connect it in line on one of the battery terminals so that any load passed through the amp meter. This will show you the current draw. Anything less than one amp shouldn't drain a battery overnight.

If it's over an amp, you can then start disconnecting things until you see the amperage draw go away at which point you have found the source of the draw.
eurojudy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

thank you so much for all the comments. I do have a leak, my mechanic told me that "taking things apart to find the source can cause more damage than leaving it". I guess I'll take it to a different shop for a second opinion.

I havent had time to work on the sleuthing but will try to get at it this weekend. It's not garaged so harder to do after work etc.

I think the stereo was fine as its been there from before I bought it, but maybe I unplugged the subwoofer and didnt plug it back in correctly? Its huge, like a 13" square cube, and it does make the sound better, but takes up a LOT of space. Maybe I can get a smaller one.
eurojudy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 EVC battery drain Reply with quote

i unscrewed the black fluted connector that TheOneTrueQuux circled and it appears to be connected to my third party inverter to the coach battery. (When I turn on the coach battery power switch, the inverter won't cycle on by pressing the button on it unless that connector is connected.)

Who is the best kind of person to inspect this issue (ie is it an electrician)? I'm not sure my mechanic is it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: