Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator conversion question regarding pulley
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

I am converting my engine from generator to alternator.
I see pictures of two variations.
One has a fan type pulley on the alternator and the other has a normal pulley.
The standard pulley seems the same as a generator pulley yet the belt for alternator is different.
Can someone clarify the need or omission of the fan pulley?
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

Quote:
fan pulley

I think that's what comes on Mexican Bug alternators
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
fan pulley

I think that's what comes on Mexican Bug alternators

The fan pulley was on Mexican engines so that's what's being sold as OE.

My 74 has a original OE pulley and it works just fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

The answer to your question is the alt. pulley has larger dia. than the gen. pulley thus the larger belt. The alt. doesn't have to spin as fast to charge as the gen.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

Adding pic of the "fan type" alternator pulley for context/comparison:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd categorize alternator pulleys into 4 categories from cheap to expensive:
    Stock pulley (clone/aftermarket)
    Fan type pulley (VW Mexico/clone?)
    OE pulley (German NOS or used)
    Billet pulley (aftermarket)
{The OE pulley and billet pulley may jockey for most expensive position}

Here's a link to CB Performance alternator pulley options:
https://www.cbperformance.com/searchresults.asp?search=EPAGP
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
The answer to your question is the alt. pulley has larger dia. than the gen. pulley thus the larger belt. The alt. doesn't have to spin as fast to charge as the gen.

So is it best to change pulleys when you convert to alternator or doesn't it really matter. The CB site lists pulleys as suitable for generator or alternator which has me confused
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

Quote:
So is it best to change pulleys when you convert to alternator or doesn't it really matter. The CB site lists pulleys as suitable for generator or alternator which has me confused

Instead of fitting the pulleys to the belt, get a belt that fits the pulleys you have. Back a few years ago I had a pulley matching issue. Stock belt didn't fit, too tight. Went back to the LAPS and bought the next 3 incremental diameter sizes larger than stock size. (same width) The middle size was what I needed. Took the other two back and exchanged one for a spare of the size I needed and got my money back on the other one. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

hulbyw wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

The larger the pulley on the alt. means it and the fan will turn slower thats why the bugs that came with alt.s had the doghouse cooler with a wider fan and off set oil cooler so if you have a stock fan/housing you will want the smaller pulley (it's only 1/8" smaller on the diameter) so it's not a big difference.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:

I think the difference is that the alternator belt is wider. All the offerings I see for pulleys are for either or.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator conversion question regarding pulley Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I think the difference is that the alternator belt is wider. All the offerings I see for pulleys are for either or.

Alt. pulley circumference = 13 3/4"
Gen. pulley circumference = 13 7/16"
Now you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: