Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exterior Lighting LED Conversion
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I convert to LED exterior lighting?
Yes! Safety First!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No! We die like men! Suck it up, Buttercup....
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

New Ghia guy here, in fact I haven't even received it yet. Our newly acquired 1972 Coupe was loaded on a transporter yesterday, and we should see it in 7-10 days. The car appears to be nearly all original, so my intent is to keep it as original as possible with one exception - exterior lighting. I probably won't even change the headlights. Just brake, turn signal, running lights, etc. It's a safety thing.

So my question is, will I need to make any modifications to make LED lighting work?
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

I think that would depend on the bulb or fixture.
Don't the retro fits have the circuitry in them for 12 volts?

I don't know if it's an issue but I have seen were those bulbs might not be DOT approved.

I would like to switch to LED but only if it draws less power.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

I went this route... LED headlights and LED turn signal/parking lights. You will need to get an LED compatible flasher.

I don't know if it's the LEDs (probably is) but my turn signal indicator (in the clock) is very dim when used. Tracking that issue down as we speak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

PatJr wrote:

I don't know if it's an issue but I have seen were those bulbs might not be DOT approved.

I run LEDs in my Datsun 1600 Roadsters, and the amp draw is much better. I consider this a safety feature as well in a car with a 55-year-old wiring harness. I'm not sure that DOT approval is required, and I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue since LED's are so much brighter. But that's a good point to look into.
JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:
I went this route... LED headlights and LED turn signal/parking lights. You will need to get an LED compatible flasher.

I don't know if it's the LEDs (probably is) but my turn signal indicator (in the clock) is very dim when used. Tracking that issue down as we speak.

Good to know, thanks.
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

I have done this on a 69 Ghia. Huge improvement. I did everything including dash indicator and illumination lights, license light, tail/brake and signal lights.
Use colored lights when needed, such as orange lights for front signal, green for dash turn indicator, red for tail lights, etc.
The only lights I left incandescent are the oil pressure and charging indicator lights because their circuits are designed to have dim lights as a fault symptom.
Got my headlights at classiccarleds.com and everything else at superbrightleds.com. None have gone bad in the five years I've had them.
Holley also now does a line of headlights called RetroBright specifically for classics that have a more natural light color, but they're a little spendy for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:
I have done this on a 69 Ghia. Huge improvement. I did everything including dash indicator and illumination lights, license light, tail/brake and signal lights.
Use colored lights when needed, such as orange lights for front signal, green for dash turn indicator, red for tail lights, etc.
The only lights I left incandescent are the oil pressure and charging indicator lights because their circuits are designed to have dim lights as a fault symptom.
Got my headlights at classiccarleds.com and everything else at superbrightleds.com. None have gone bad in the five years I've had them.
Holley also now does a line of headlights called RetroBright specifically for classics that have a more natural light color, but they're a little spendy for me.

Good info, thanks!
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

LED has become very popular in boats as 12 volt LED bulbs draw something like .3 to .5 amps, incandescent draw 8 to 10, I think. So yea, the power saving is big.

PatJr wrote:

JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:

Jason - Was wondering if you could share with me your source and/or the part #'s for the dash/gauge illumination lights in LED. I've purchased the rest, but the bulb type for these aren't listed in the bulb guide in the owners manual.
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

One of the first things I did when I put my ghia back on the road was to install a LED 3rd brake light bar at the top of the rear window. The ends of that bar flash as turn signals.
I've been told by following drivers that (on a bright sunny day) the original brake/turn signals are basically invisible but that light bar communicates just fine.

Converting the headlights to halos with integral signals is on my winter to-do list.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

Figment wrote:
One of the first things I did when I put my ghia back on the road was to install a LED 3rd brake light bar at the top of the rear window. The ends of that bar flash as turn signals.
I've been told by following drivers that (on a bright sunny day) the original brake/turn signals are basically invisible but that light bar communicates just fine.

Converting the headlights to halos with integral signals is on my winter to-do list.

Yes to the third brake light!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

There's more on this topic...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301587
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636630

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

nice, where did you find that light? I'm trying to find one on amazon and no luck.

Thank You.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

PatJr wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

nice, where did you find that light? I'm trying to find one on amazon and no luck.

Thank You.

I found it several years ago at Watson Street Works.

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/small-billet-3rd-brake-light-clear-lens/

The one I linked is not exactly the same but it's close.
Looks like they have several different options now.

Mike Gerson

kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

Do you also have a light in the deck lid or is that a flash reflection? I have seen several third brake lights in the deck lid under the louvers, and specific reason you mounted higher other that easier to see?

kingkarmann wrote:
PatJr wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

Thank You.

https://watsons-streetworks.com/product/small-billet-3rd-brake-light-clear-lens/

Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

I have the Watson's 3rd brake light as well. I have it mounted on the rear deck using their pedestal extension. It works well and those that have driven behind me have told me how visible it is. I also have led bulbs in the rear lights.

Olli
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

I replaced every bulb in my 71 (except the "GEN" light) including the headlights (using H4 LED). Needed the GEN bulb to excite the Alternator to get it charging. All VDO Cockpit gauges too. Make sure you find instrument LEDs that are dimmable.

Yes, changed out the signal flasher as well.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

kent70ghia wrote:
Do you also have a light in the deck lid or is that a flash reflection? I have seen several third brake lights in the deck lid under the louvers, and specific reason you mounted higher other that easier to see?

kingkarmann wrote:
PatJr wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

Thank You.

It's a reflection.
I mounted it high as I felt it was a better location.

Mike Gerson

JSR5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Lighting LED Conversion Reply with quote

bhartwell59 wrote:

bhartwell - Where did you get your LED compatible flasher? I've tried two - one from Oreilly and another from superbrightleds.com - and they both work fine until I turn on the running/headlights. Then the rear flasher work but the front ones don't.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: