Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Ragtop Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Stock is nice but surely stock plus is nice-er.

Just picture it as if the first owner had hotted it up a bit when new. Maybe a Vanguard twin carb kit, Michelin X tyres, some Koni's, a swaybar and an original EMPI camber compensator. Perhaps even a period woodrim steering wheel so it felt sporty on the inside too...

Nothing over the top, stock height, no race inspired paint, no holes drilled, nothing hacked, just stock plus a little period correct performance gear to spice it up. If you feel really racey you could leave the hubcaps off. 😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Congrat's on getting a 2nd chance on the '63 that got away from you years ago!

When you are stripping down the car, take extra, extra care to remove the engine compartment insulation panels. The one you see here- the factory original "knobby" type- is rare to find without tears. Repro panels are nowhere close to this design. I hope the right side panel, and the large one on the firewall are still usable. Once you have them off, you can gently clean them with a mist of SimpleGreen, let it run off, gentle mist of water, lay them down and let dry. I would first not scrub them; let the SG do its work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for sharing that tid-bit on the engine panels. My 63 has this too and I’ve never noticed this on any other bugs I’ve owned so I sensed it was rare. Mine looks okay for the age. No tears. Dirty though and it looks stiff. I plan on painting the engine compartment so I hope it comes out intact.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I don't do patina Laughing Full stock is my thing, down to bias tires. I do have some leeway with things but rarely on body and paint. The wheels are more silver in my opinion, like they were painted in the past.

If you guys are interested in following along in video, I am covering this car on YouTube too.
Here's the newest video in the series.

Link

Just call me Fan-Boy cause I already have your site saved. Very nice stuff. Thanks.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Dual relief engine case. I think that case is later than you think.
Where do you see dual relief? I can't remember if it is or not but it is a true VW reman block with a number for a 1969 1200.

I don't think so Henry Roberts LOL at least not this car. If anything, dealer accessories. I've always wanted one of the early '70s Formula Vee cars with all of the woodgrain and stuff though.

Thanks Bugged Again!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

I don't think so Henry Roberts LOL at least not this car. If anything, dealer accessories. I've always wanted one of the early '70s Formula Vee cars with all of the woodgrain and stuff though.

Dealer fitted VW accessories... so just VW part number stamped Koni's, beam strengtheners, a LSD, a front bash plate, a sump guard, a long range fuel tank, harder gearbox mounts and I think radial tyres? 😁

That being said Economotors (the home of Engineered Motor Products Inc. [the original EMPI]) was a VW dealer and they fitted EMPI parts to new cars.

I know I won't change your mind but I like stiring. 😁😁😁

There were some lovely bits in the Formula Vee catalogue, I don't normally go for 12v era cars but one in Formula Vee dress would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Stirring the pot is fun sometimes Laughing
Got out today and got the car on a body dolly and removed those tar boards for safe keeping. No damage except for the drivers side triangle was stuck really well and a bit of it is stuck to the car still but you won’t be able to tell. Still has the pillows in the quarters.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Where do you see dual relief? I can't remember if it is or not but it is a true VW reman block with a number for a 1969 1200.

Thanks Bugged Again!

The horizontal lines cast into the case under the generator stand. Every case I've seen with those castings was a late dual relief case.

The original number was milled off, and the old engine case number was stamped in.

But you can confirm real quick by looking at the bottom of the case to see if it one, or two relief plungers.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Thanks Bugged Again!

The horizontal lines cast into the case under the generator stand. Every case I've seen with those castings was a late dual relief case.

The original number was milled off, and the old engine case number was stamped in.

But you can confirm real quick by looking at the bottom of the case to see if it one, or two relief plungers.
So if the number is a restamp it's not my original number, but who knows. It is a dual relief 1200 case though so that's cool. Number looks factory. VW Reman logo 347704X. The X is actually stamped on the case in line with the numbers.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Yeah, a VW reman number. Also, for German production, model years 1970 to mid 78, the 1200 block was essentially the same as the 1300-1600, after they switched to different 1200 cylinders designed for that block. So "who knows" the origin. And the new number has very little meaning.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Interesting, so would the "new" 1200 use standard 1200 P&Cs or are they different and unobtainable.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Late Euro 1200 engines are seldom seen in the USA but I heard that AA reproduced that kit at some point... so I looked:

https://aapistons.com/collections/vw-piston-liner-...late-model

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/042198057-b...t-top.html

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I'll have to see what it has when dissembled. Is the only thing that makes it a 1200 the case number then? I think it's pretty cool anyway.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

1192cc is 77mm bore and 64mm stroke. So there needs to be a 64mm stroke crankshaft inside the case. The stroke of the crankshaft matches the placement of the pin on the cylinder and the shape of the cylinder it rides in.

So basically, you need to take it all apart and see exactly what bits you have in there. With so many years removed since build and rebuilds, who knows what is in there, you have to excavate and explore.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

1500 heads, they look brand new. Shame it's not a 40 horse though Sad
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

I would get another nice 40 hp engine for this. Perhaps with a number near matching number.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Here some pics of the car with the new ragtop

The direct link to the company and the product:
https://www.cabrio.de/en/softtops/car-models-price...ded-detail

I had three examples but possibly chose one, that was too tan. I would first paint the car and then order the samples. The material is pinpoint vinyl made by Haartz corporation.
If you like to have a ragtop as stock, the german company is the only way for you.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

So from what I read you believe the sunroof top is original. I was looking at the photo of the sunroof bars and how they were connected to the inside headliner. Is that a vinyl strip that goes around the bar then sewn to the headliner? I have always wondered how the factory attached the inside headliner to the sunroof cover.
Thanks
Bruce Ebling
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
So from what I read you believe the sunroof top is original. I was looking at the photo of the sunroof bars and how they were connected to the inside headliner. Is that a vinyl strip that goes around the bar then sewn to the headliner? I have always wondered how the factory attached the inside headliner to the sunroof cover.
Thanks
Bruce Ebling

Sorry for missing your question Bruce! I have to go look to confirm, but yes I believe there are loops of headlining sewn around the bars. Almost like they had sewn them and then inserted the bars right through when assembling.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

That's a great looking bug in good condition for where you live. You and Jason are amazing in how you find so many VW's in your area. Especially since most rusted away decades ago due to the salt.

Look forward to see your progress.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ragtop Restoration Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That's a great looking bug in good condition for where you live. You and Jason are amazing in how you find so many VW's in your area. Especially since most rusted away decades ago due to the salt.

Look forward to see your progress.

Thanks, it really is in great condition! To be fair, most of the ones we do find did rust away decades ago, luckily, we can register just about anything here Shocked Laughing The ol' ragtop is going to be moving to my home garage probably this week or next. I really have zero motivation to work on my bus right now so I punted it in the backyard and made a spot to get the rag cracking. Do have to buy a daily driver though... Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: