Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Off Road Light Bars anyone?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

^^^ Well done on the superstructure. I hope the next version includes a crow’s nest. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

My 17 yo son put a light bar on the Mitsubishi Van about a year ago. I've had several little drives with it. It has the spot (distance) lenses vs the floods. My impression is that it does not penetrate well on the freeway, creates a lot of light close up on the road, and the frequency causes every speck of dust and humidity in the air in front of your face to reflect. Incredible blowback from road signs as well.

Terrific for around town driving - gets an A. But at freeway speeds they are fatiguing because you're squinting against the blowback all the time and the super bright road surface prevents the eyes from distance discrimination at the threshhold of illumination.

My Hellas rock at freeway speeds, barely lighting the road in front of the vehicle (who cares at 70?) but lighting things a hall mile out nicely.

It feels like both have their place but the LEDs are still not good for distance.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

The nice feature of the LED lights is the low power draw. I converted all my lighting (except headlights & that blackout light) to LED. The Rigid kit # I bought is 504713 (white LED, Hyperspot pair) - around $300

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If my alternator dies while off-road, I can turn off all my other lights & unplug the other Rigid D on the passenger side to help limit the battery drain...if I need to get out of an iffy situation...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

The other light I installed is a single "blackout" light from a military vehicle. I removed the original 28v bulb and installed a 100w H3 bulb with an aluminum reflector. When I turn this light on, all the other lights are disabled, including the brake lights. This was my primary light on my last desert trip. I didn't use my rooftop or headlights at all. It is a very usefull light. It shoots a pattern similar to a single low beam headlight, with a moonlight type of color. It is very difficult to see this light outside & away from the van, except from the drivers perspective.

Why? I cant imagine wanting to drive anywhere without running lights.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

The other light I installed is a single "blackout" light from a military vehicle. I removed the original 28v bulb and installed a 100w H3 bulb with an aluminum reflector. When I turn this light on, all the other lights are disabled, including the brake lights. This was my primary light on my last desert trip. I didn't use my rooftop or headlights at all. It is a very usefull light. It shoots a pattern similar to a single low beam headlight, with a moonlight type of color. It is very difficult to see this light outside & away from the van, except from the drivers perspective.

Really like this idea, think I'll try to replicate. Great for late night entry to campgrounds and stealthy forays in wild areas where you don't want to washout everything with light.
tjet-where did you source the light?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

Got it on ebay. This is the cast body / waterproof version. There are several types - some plastic & some sheetmetal. Search for "military "blackout" vehicle light. The original bulb was a 28 volt version of an 1156. I removed the bulb socket, found a deep flashlight reflector (aluminum) I screwed in a 100w H3. I will pull it apart and get some pics of it.

Its a perfect light for a campsite.

The part # is:

Brand: ACCO
Manf: 5A910
# 19207-12360913
Date code SEP 01 2006

https://picclick.com/US-Military-Army-Metal-24V-Blackout-Light-for-172952588549.html

Blackout light wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_light
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for the extra info.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

I just bought a low profile IBIS TEK HID 45" light bar from a military Humvee. I'm going to modify it to fit on the roof of my syncro. I plan to lengthen it to match the roof span, but angle the leading edge corners slightly to match the windshield profile for a corner light addition (pic below). The brackets will clamp onto the rain gutters (no holes). I think I'll remove the left IR black lens, and install clear glass. This way, I'm able to enclose a Go Pro inside, directly over the driver's seat. They are dumping these surplus lights pretty cheap on ebay, but you will need a power supply for the HIDs.

Unmodified light bar:

Lengthened:

With my artist conception - light painted flat black & Go Pro:

Ebay link: They (Army) installed the 45" bar on the rear, and a 65" bar in the front.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192280682252?chn=ps&n...mYQAvD_BwE
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

There’s an auxbeam 52” curved led bar that fits between some vanagonlife mounts perfectly.

I’m with Idaho Doug on this one and don’t like the led lights for higher speed driving because of the noise. I have the setup I mention above.

I understand you can put some yellow / orange filters over the bright leds and it allows them to penetrate more vs. vibrate off of everything.

I have not tried this yet.

There is a good thread on here w good info from Idaho Doug and others. It’s title is something song the lines of LED’s form vs function. I’d search but on my phone.

Beware also the cooling fins whistle like nothing you’ve ever heard before. You need to buy the stuff that’s used on car door edges to keep them from getting dinged. It’s a plastic split sleeve like thing that slips on the fins and the whistle goes away! Instant Sanity.

I really like the look of the lf gravity pro 6 lights. But they’re led also so will have same effect without the filters.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

I’ve been a lighting nerd forever, it’s super fun as an hobby and useful to be safe on the streets. Trust me on a few things, the beautiful E-code yet simple low beam vertically should be 4” down relative to the original height at a 20 foot distance from a wall or set distance, horizontal (L-R) straight is perfectly straight. This doesn’t change with high lift vehicles.Yes you will be that asshole some of time when in close quarters but you need to see down the road just like everyone else. Luckily modern HID, LED, LEP laser stuff bedazzlers every one so much that driving with high beams in our old vans with incandescent bulbs will go unnoticeable to most, sad but true.
Ok enough back story.
It’s simple, get the light ahead of the rig and on the road so that your eyeballs can register and understand what’s happening comfortably and repeatable for hours on end. Most importantly, react to an issue before it’s too late.

TBC

BL
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

Yeah, I drive in NYC. I can't believe how many cars have bumper mounted LED light bars (more like glare bars).

I have e-codes on my van. I have them adjusted down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. I also have standard wattage bulbs (60/55w), but high quality Osram Nightbreakers H-4's. There is a difference with more expensive halogen bulbs.
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

I am curious if folks with light bars mounted near luggage rack have noticed any difference in mpg?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: