Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteyNocar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Once I get done removing the black rubber backing and adhesive left from whatever peel and stick molding a previous owner installed and long since removed… and let bake in the sun for years, I am going to buy new belt molding kit. Wondering which one is better? Stainless steel seems like it would be a little more durable than aluminum, but it’s cheaper to buy. So wondering what’s the best and what makes it better?
Your thoughts are appreciated.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

I’ll be first. Type 3’s never came with stainless steel, it all depends how much bling you want.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhiteyNocar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Is one blingier than the other?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Polished stainless is shinier then anodized aluminum. And I always go with stainless.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

I went with stainless. The less maintenance the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

SS is stronger (more dent-resistant) and will not tarnish, though both are fine. As posted the SS is more shiny than the AL, so a stock nut will want alum.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
SS is stronger (more dent-resistant) and will not tarnish, though both are fine. AS posted the SS is more shiny than the AL, so a stock nut will want alum.

Agreed on both points. The SS is much more durable, requires less work to keep it polished, and can even be re-polished if needed. I've got SS on my 65 Notch, and Aluminum on my wife's 70 Fastback (was all that was available at the time). It's mostly an owners desire to which way you go. We've owned my wife's 70 Fastback since July 4th 1989 (my 2nd type 3), and my 65 Notch since Sept 20th 1999. Needless to say neither car is going anywhere in my life time.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
LowThrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

source for the stainless steel?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

LowThrum wrote:
source for the stainless steel?

ISPWest.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
WhiteyNocar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input.
Stainless it is.
WhiteyNocar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Finally got around to ordering the stainless steel body molding kit from ISP West.
Shipping to Michigan cost 1/2 the price of the parts, but worth it. Packaged nicely to avoid shipping damage.
My rocker molding was still in good shape so just got the 6 piece kit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Looks good with it. I'm sure you polished the lower piece to match. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Looks good with it. I'm sure you polished the lower piece to match. Wink

I used Nevr-Dull wadding polish on my magnesium American Mags & it did a good job!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhiteyNocar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

I gone through a bunch of NeverDull on the chrome. This is what my wheels looked like when I got the car
WhiteyNocar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

Same wheel after Never Dull
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless or aluminum body trim- what would you buy and why? Reply with quote

So, polish your lower side trim on the rockers to match your new trim.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: