Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

Save the oil and use it later in the oil bath for the air filter? Just a thought! At least it won't be totally wasted then.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

borna428 wrote:

Do I need oil with Zinc during the first 20 mins?

When you first start the engine the new parts "wear in." This is called the break-in period. Areas where there is microscopic interference wear away and the parts fit together without further interference. This is especially important with piston rings. The reason you change the oil shortly after running a new engine is to flush away the metal particles that result from this initial wear period. You want this inevitable initial wear to take place as quickly as possible, most importantly so the rings seat. To the extent that ZDDP prevents the initial break-in wear it prolongs the initial break-in period.
So my answer to you would be NO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
borna428 wrote:

When you first start the engine the new parts "wear in." This is called the break-in period. Areas where there is microscopic interference wear away and the parts fit together without further interference. This is especially important with piston rings. The reason you change the oil shortly after running a new engine is to flush away the metal particles that result from this initial wear period. You want this inevitable initial wear to take place as quickly as possible, most importantly so the rings seat. To the extent that ZDDP prevents the initial break-in wear it prolongs the initial break-in period.

Good to know. thanks
borna428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
IMO zinc is MOST important during break-in. Everyone has their favorite flavor.

That engine looks really nice. Don't skimp out now.

I agree, what the hell another $40 for the love of aircooled engine Smile
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
borna428 wrote:

https://vpracingfuels.com/tech-talk-insider-articles/break-in-oil-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/

Quote:
What is break-in oil? It’s typically conventional-based lubricants containing zinc/phosphorus (ZDDP) and moly anti-wear compounds. ZDDP forms a polar attraction to surfaces in the engine and creates a sacrificial layer. This prevents metal-to-metal contact in areas where a full-fluid oil film cannot exist. For instance, between cam lobes and lifters.

Molybdenum disulfide is a sulfate-based additive that protects against corrosion and oxidation while also reducing friction. We should note that it’s important that engine break-in oil contains an aggressive detergent/dispersant package to trap contaminants and metal particles, keeping them away from engine parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
borna428 wrote:

BTW.

I'm gonna disagree here. Completely.

The ZDDP acts as a solid lubricant and prevents the lifters and the cam lobes from eating each other during the initial break in period. The rings won't seat without loading them. The break in period is to work harden the lifters and cam lobes.

Run your 20 minute cam break in, dump the oil, put your favorite flavor in and drive the car. Accelerate rapidly, then let off the gas and let the engine slow the car. Repeat.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

I’ve always stuck to the twenty minute recommendation on break in oil as well. If you pay attention you’ll see posts of people seeing metal or flecks like metallic things in the drain oil especially on a new engine. Just a few weeks ago a post like this and it prompted him to want to pull the engine and take it all back apart to find the problem. The problem is VW in stock form have a lot of shit floating around all the time and it’s worse when new.

How many autopsy photos have you seen here with bearings all scored some with metal imbedded? Not ideal but nature of the beast. You have no crankshaft pulley seal and all manor of contamination is being screwed in constantly. Imagine a dusty or sandy road or even pollen.

What to do? Run a sand seal, full flow the oil through a filter, change the oil frequently which depends on where you live. Don’t flip out because you see shit in the oil, within reason. Experience is the best teacher here, I did at least 3 oil changes on a new engine in the first 1000 miles.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

I don't see this anywhere so I figure I'd mention it:

Do not use synthetic oil for break- in.

You'll feel better about dumping it after 20 minutes if it doesn't empty out your wallet. That's not why you shouldn't use synthetic for break- in, though.

Today's anecdote:

Years ago, Harley was having nasty warrantee problems with their Sportsters. Sportsters were coming back in droves burning or using oil. If you've ever rebuilt a Sportster the the cylinders and heads look a lot like aircooled VW parts.

What was happening was Sportster owners were treating their shiny new Sportsters to synthetic oil as soon as they got home. The rings weren't seating properly making the bikes oil burning pigs.

You might not find documentation on this. H-D kept it on the DL for obvious reasons.

I used to be an old "oil is oil" curmudgeon back in the cast iron V8 days. Didn't seem to matter what I did, cast iron V8s with cast iron valve seats needed valve jobs around 80k. Burning a quart of oil every thousand miles was no big deal.

The last Toyota I retired was running well at around 300k. It lived on a steady diet of Mobil 1 at a 10k change interval. It didn't use oil and it didn't burn oil when I retired it.

Probably should have kept that one.

Old flat fours aren't new Toyotas. They're older designs with different requirements. One thing for sure, though:

Do not use synthetic oil for break- in.

Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

In days gone by (pre 80's) there was never a "Cam break in" period that I know of with any engine, V8 or VW. Zinc wasn't mentioned (the oils might have been high in zinc then?) nor was holding the engine at revs after first starting. There was a gradual break in period varying revs, never getting too hot or loading the engine up too much. Seemed to work with all sorts of engines. Why have things changed? Are there different materials used in engine building now? Oils have changed but for the better, why the difference? Aircooled aircraft engines don't need special camshaft breakin periods, just fireup and make sure not to sit on constant revs for too long and NOT baby the engine.
Seems if you don't do the camshaft breakin dance your doomed to failure.....
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: changing the motor oil after 20 mins of run Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:
In days gone by (pre 80's) there was never a "Cam break in" period that I know of with any engine, V8 or VW. Zinc wasn't mentioned (the oils might have been high in zinc then?)...

Yup! Oils after around 1994 removed/reduced Zinc content because it was reducing the effectiveness of the catalytic converters.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1906-whats-insid...ifference/
This was not really an issue for pre-cat engines like the ACVW. Or at least not well understood at the time.

I would add that there are a few different "oil additives" available to add to your off-the-shelf (low ZDDP) oil during break-in. Here's one from Comp Cams:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-159?seid=sr...gI_xfD_BwE

I guess it all depends on the cost of qts of break-in oil and plain (mineral) oil in your area. If you can't find break-in oil you can use the additives.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: