Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weather Report
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Weather Report Reply with quote

It's 47 below zero Fahrenheit with a 100mph wind chill on the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire. That makes it the coldest place on Earth right now.

My neighbor literally spends his winters boring a hole in the ice in Antarctica. Now I know why...

Ah, I remember daily driving VWs 24/7/365 in the "good old days", ice scraper under my thigh. "One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, scrape, scrape, scrape. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, scrape, scrape, scrape. Repeat. And so on. Rolling Eyes

The trick below zero was to shove a hot skillet full of burning charcoal under the engine's fluted magnesium oil pan. Watch "Saturday Night Live" with Belushi and Aykroyd until the motor warmed up enough to start.

Can't do that with your new fangled crap with a plastic torque convertor cover. Rolling Eyes

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Much of the new-fangled crap uses 0W-20 (in my case), as opposed to the straight 30 the old acVWs were pushing through their veins back in the day. 0W flows much better than 30 when cold.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
It's 47 below zero Fahrenheit with a 100mph wind chill on the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

I heard it was -113*F with the wind chill yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/04/mount-washington-as-...ls-of-110/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

I did experience -48 degree air temperature once in northern Wisconsin recorded at Lakeland airport. This was in early 1975. I know I cut firewood that day as that was our primary source of heat.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

That wind chill number isn’t really accurate. The boundary layer is really gone at -40F and it’s just f* cold after that.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

I spent the winter of 1979 in Chicago right at the Naval base on Lake Michigan, wind chill -50 that was cold. To counter that we drank lotsa cold beer.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Mr. Gone
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

so cold the chinese even sent a weather balloon to check it out Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

So cold I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets! THAT is the definition of cold! Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
The trick below zero was to shove a hot skillet full of burning charcoal under the engine's fluted magnesium oil pan. Watch "Saturday Night Live" with Belushi and Aykroyd until the motor warmed up enough to start.

Apparently you did not know about or have access to the oil pan heaters that were installed on all new air cooled VWs in my part of the world? They were effective right down to -40.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/9185505.jpg
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

high of 14 here today....

...centigrade. May go for a bike ride (electric of course).
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/pqashW66D7o
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Nice pull Cool
Abscate will appreciate you got his Weather Report post. I didn’t think anyone would.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

the first of the 'weather balloon' data is revealed - worth every yuan! Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

Apparently you did not know about or have access to the oil pan heaters that were installed on all new air cooled VWs in my part of the world? They were effective right down to -40.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/9185505.jpg

I must have a couple of those somewhere. But... I drive a Prius not a Tesla for a very specific reason. First Teslas I saw were on the back of car carriers. Tesla had a fleet of F250s with trailers to retrieve your Tesla when your reach exceeded your grasp. I mean back when your range exceeded availability of charging stations.

It's like Hoovering the rug and yanking the vacuum cord out of the wall.

Murphy's First Law of Soggy and Hard To Light states your vehicle will be soggy and hard to light outside the reach of every extension cord you own. Can't get to Home Depot to buy more if your hoopdee won't start. Besides, the quick way to melt the plugs off 150' of extension cords is to run that much wire to the block heater. Rolling Eyes

40 below is cold enough with no wind.

It's 40 above today. It actually does feel 80 degrees warmer.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

We've had some bitter cold for the last couple weeks ,,, 48* today here too, went out to feed the deer in a T shirt Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Finster, that weather balloon data picture cracked me up! Good stuff. Laughing
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
high of 14 here today....

...centigrade. May go for a bike ride (electric of course).

Leaf not charged up..?
Stay warm comrade Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather Report Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:
It's 47 below zero Fahrenheit with a 100mph wind chill on the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

I heard it was -113*F with the wind chill yesterday.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/04/mount-washington-as-...ls-of-110/

Windchill means nothing. It is meant to make things sound worse than it really is. Nothing at Mt Washington was at -114, it was -47. Same goes for heat index. It's all bullshit.

Coldest I have seen was in Northern MN in January of 1994. -44 on the thermometer. The next winter my dad saw -54, coldest he had ever seen in his entire life in MN and a 3 year hitch at Ft Richardson outside of Anchorage, AK.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: