Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 1300 cc intake manifold
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: 1966 1300 cc intake manifold Reply with quote

Is the intake manifold for a 1966 1300cc Bug still available new? If so from what vendor(s) I cant seen to find a new one.

On mine the heat pipe is hopelessly clogged, and the pipe has developed rust thru holes (interior is rusting thru to the exterior)

thanks

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
DuaneL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the same manifold that the 1500-1600 single port uses, VW Intake Manifold, 1300-1600cc Single Port, 113-129-701K available from most online vendors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct intake manifiold for a 1300 is 113 129 701 J
The K version was for 1500's
Check with Samba member Branston to see if he has any available.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1451199

All of the repro K versions sold online have a vacuum port for emissions. If you are not picky they will work if you plug the port.

This is from my Sept 1966 Beck replacement parts book:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second asking Branston. He redid an intake for me and it came out and works perfect. The originals fit much better than an aftermarket. Casey
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info.

My manifold is the "K" version so maybe it was replaced at one time OR maybe the car got a "k" version at the factory???? The car was bought new in April 1966 in California and only has about 70k miles on it. (verified original miles per original owner). I doubt this car was built near the end of the 1966 model production. But maybe some "K" manifolds maybe were used back then????

On the list that is posted above I do not see a "K" manifold listed.
On the other post I see written that some "K" manifolds are made aftermarket with a vacuum port added, My "K" manifold has no such port.

So does anyone know if the "K" manifold might have been put on some 1966 Bugs at the factory? Or do the experts think that this "K" manifold was swapped out for my original "J" at one time???

I'd like to order a replacement, and I would prefer to get one with the same number that was on the car when the car was made. If the "K" type was possibly fitted at the factory on a 1966 Bug then I would likely go for a "k" replacement, else I will get a "J" replacement.

Any clues on this "J" verses "K" issue for 1966????? Was the "K" type produced by April of 1966????

thanks again!!!! Cool Shocked Very Happy Smile Laughing Wink Question Question Question Question

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the K was ever on a 66. The above list is a 66 parts list so it is not there. After the K it goes in alphabetical order, K, L, M until the dual ports, I think. All the aftermarkets are K that I have seen and have a vacuum outlet on them. If you are looking online at pictures the J manifold has the part number cast into the front of manifold and the others are on the rear. I have a K manifold on my 66 now that I bought on the classifieds here and had shipped to Branston. It came back good as new or better. I have a J hanging in the garage. PM me if interested. It needs restored but no rust. I helped a fellow Samba member in my area last Summer who was having troubles with his 66. He had bought an aftermarket K manifold and it did not fit as well as it should. If you sprayed starting fluid at the top of head/manifold RPM's would change. Took it off, put on another set of german copper gaskets, same deal. Good luck. Casey
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one just popped up on the classifieds, In Anaheim. Not sure where you are. If you enlarge photo, it looks like part # is on the front. Maybe what you are looking for? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1760138 Best of luck. Casey
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 66 has the original "case" it also has a "K" intake manifold and 1500/1600 SP heads. It was built in Feb 1966. I guess that it was replaced at some point due to clogging. In the parts list on OACDP.ORG there is no mention at all of the "J" intake manifold. So by 1971 (date of parts list on oacdp.org) I assume that the replacement available from VW was only the "K" version. I have also searched progressive refinements to see if there is any mention of an intake manifold change in 1966 for the F0 engine but could not find anything.

http://oacdp.org/type1part/1168.png

http://oacdp.org/progref6268/k005.jpg

If anyone has more information. I would love to see it as well.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the mention guys.

The 701 J is correct for the 1300 F case engine and the 701 K was specific to the 1500 H case engine.

I have a few cores available of J & K intakes I'm just bit behind with intakes due to the annual surge in inquiries and a backlog due to an injury, if the OP contacts me i can help him. A word of advise get a seller to guarantee the heat risers are clear before parting with your $$$.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 1300 cc intake manifold Reply with quote

Eight years later I'm digging up an old thread.

Background: Early (August '65) 1966 Beetle with original engine that was upgraded with 1600 P&C and '70 heads. Original distributor (113 905 205K)
and fresh 30 PICT-1 with power circuit. I understand that the original intake manifold would have been 113 129 701 J but 113 129 701 K is a valid replacement in this situation.
When I bought the car 18 years ago (before the 1600 upgrade) it had, and still has, a 113 129 701 AA manifold that has evidence of heat riser
cleaning (looks like it was drilled and welded shut). I suspect that it might be clogged again.

So my question is------what is the 701 AA manifold actually off of?
Should I get a "J"? Or a "K"? or leave well enough alone ?
By the way, the car runs great in warm weather and is seldom driven when
cold.

EDIT: This might be part of my problem: Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBmdfpWs

Last edited by iowegian on Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 1300 cc intake manifold Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
So my question is------what is the 701 AA manifold actually off of?
Should I get a "J"? Or a "K"? or leave well enough alone ?
By the way, the car runs great in warm weather and is seldom driven when
cold.

I'm pretty sure 113-129-701AA is a replacement single port manifold for either an H5 series 1500 or B6 series 1600 with a standard transmission. Either way, it would be a good pairing with your 1500/1600SP heads.

You should be able to use a 113-129-701K or M as well, or in a pinch the 113-129-701N if you block of the large Autostick port. The only "J" manifold I can find information for is 111-129-701J, which is a 40hp Saxomat manifold.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 1300 cc intake manifold Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Mukluk. I'll just leave well enough alone (and maybe someday investigate whether or not the heat riser is actually restricted).
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 1300 cc intake manifold Reply with quote

Just one more log to toss onto the '66 1300 manifold discussion campfire....

In addition to the casting numbers facing front (out of sight) on the '66 "J" 1300 manifold, the actual DIAMETER of the "J" manifold is slightly smaller than the later 1500 "K" series manifolds - although fitment on the engine is the same. Probably not noticeable, unless comparing the two different manifolds side by side.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: