Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's got a wood floor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebigben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought some wood-like foam mats on Amazon. Really stunned by how good they look.

Will report back with how they hold up. Took about 30 seconds to install.

'85 2WD Westy w/ Peloquin TBD + 2.2 Subi (Kurt Vannegut)
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

I just scored a couple boxes of bamboo/engineered flooring from a gal giving it away on marketplace. Really stoked because I was going to pay too much for pergo...

anyways, I'm looking at the photos in here of at the different under layers and I'm thinking about throwing some old yoga mats under there. Anyone done this?

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

I got...vinyl!
Sick at home with COVID but got antsy, so a low-impact van project seemed to fit the bill.
I had a bunch of loose lay vinyl flooring left over from a home project and thought it would be perfect for the van.

The loose lay is nice because it's flexible, light and easy to install. In a room you typically put the borders down with adhesive and the rest just stays in from pressure. If you damage a board you can just lift it out and replace it. The only thing I don't like is that it marks up fairly easy. Very easy to clean though.

Originally I was going to stick this on a plywood sub-floor but after a dry fit I realized it would stay in place just on the stock floor without any adhesive. The boards fit under the cabinet overhangs nicely.
The tracks proved to be problematic. I tried without the covers but the boards aren't rigid enough to prevent a bit of a dip. I put the covers back on without the hardware since they stick up pretty high but the covers were still higher than the rest of the floor, causing the boards to buckle. Solution: I cut little inserts for the tracks from extra flooring.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. All I needed was a screwdriver, measuring tape, drill, pencil and razor knife. No sawing, gluing etc. I'll probably finish it with a nicer threshold.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Don't have a nice one showing the floor off, but there's the installation in process of the Acacia floor we found at the local ReStore, for about $40.

We also did the door panels in birch.

Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
I just scored a couple boxes of bamboo/engineered flooring from a gal giving it away on marketplace. Really stoked because I was going to pay too much for pergo...

anyways, I'm looking at the photos in here of at the different under layers and I'm thinking about throwing some old yoga mats under there. Anyone done this?

I installed cork snap together flooring in my van but used rattletrap as the underlayment after removing the factory underlayment.
The cork wears nice. I think the bamboo will too. If you need some underlayment I have a small amount that will work for engineered flooring in my shop and will be happy to donate. I live near Blue Lake, Ca.
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
I installed cork snap together flooring in my van but used rattletrap as the underlayment after removing the factory underlayment.
We did similar… removed down to metal, then put rattle trap in-between the ridges, then put a thin layer of black closed-cell overall, before putting the snap-fit acacia down.

There's a mismatch between the pitch of the flooring and the pitch of the ridges in the metal floor, so the floor is a bit spongy in places. But She Who Must Be Obeyed insisted that the grooves go toward the door, to make sweeping easier.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

The cork wears nice. I think the bamboo will too. If you need some underlayment I have a small amount that will work for engineered flooring in my shop and will be happy to donate. I live near Blue Lake, Ca.

hey just now seeing this. thanks for the offer, but i ended up getting some vapor barrier. i'll post pics of the floor soon i guess. i'm right off sutter in mckinleyville,....

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I recently got a full westy interior that I’m going to install in my van, but before doing that I plan to redo my floor.

Do you guys usually do flooring under the westy cabinets or do the cabinets sit directly on the metal and the flooring rests against them?

Thanks
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

I'm sure this varies by installer - I put my wood floor abutting the cabinets and the bench seat, cutting out smaller area for the back heater vent and my Webasto heater vent. I certainly did not want to go through hassle of removing my westy cabinets for that.
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
I'm sure this varies by installer - I put my wood floor abutting the cabinets and the bench seat, cutting out smaller area for the back heater vent and my Webasto heater vent. I certainly did not want to go through hassle of removing my westy cabinets for that.

Makes sense, but mine are currently out. Hmm.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Walty87 wrote:
Hey guys!

I recently got a full westy interior that I’m going to install in my van, but before doing that I plan to redo my floor.

Do you guys usually do flooring under the westy cabinets or do the cabinets sit directly on the metal and the flooring rests against them?

Thanks

On all mine cabinets go on plywood as a sub floor. Then the final flooring is butted up against the cabinets, not under them.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Walty87 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks

I pulled everything out and lined the floor with soundproofing. The Rear-seat fits slightly differently with the thickness of the floor. I also made a custom cabinet though.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

I started a wood floor project a few years ago. My intent was to build a camper style interior from the floor up (I have a stove, fridge, heater, sink, etc). It ended up being more like a workshop floor where I can stuff motorcycles and tools into Laughing My van is more like a truck than a nice camper.

I used high quality 1/2" marine grade plywood. It was lighter than that heavy molded rubber/foam mat. When I do it again, I'm going to go with 5/8 or 3/4". I plan on cutting the roof eventually for an NAHT roof, and a thick sheet of plywood bolted to the floor may increase structural rigidity of the van.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I started a wood floor project a few years ago.

I remember this pic! I even posted it in a TW200 thread on advrider.com. Click link and scroll down. You should recognize something.
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/the-yamaha-tw200-thread.422523/page-671#post-45458561
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

Yeah, every Vanagon owner needs a trail bike on-board (or 2). I've since cut that exhaust tip off as it had a tendency to snag on things. I really need to make a bumper-mounted rack. I plan on carrying 2 bikes.

That TW200 in my van is a '20. My other TW200 (below) is an '87 (same year as my syncro). I'm working on the engine currently.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

tdubclub

im selling my xt225 today Sad

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's got a wood floor? Reply with quote

That's the engine I'm installing in my '87 TW. I want a 6-speed for it, plus the extra 25cc. Here's the XT225 donor bike I picked up a couple of months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aylghkOX_dY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: