Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'52 Split on local CL, what's not correct?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. The next stage is getting all the metal to go closer to the right shape/ direction that VW intended it. It’s a lot better but not there yet. I’m lucky to have a great guy, with a critical eye, taking care of this part.
This was me playing around before I started taking it all apart. I figured it will never look quite the same again and didn’t want to miss the opportunity
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Actually both, totally dedicated restoration to minute og details or bringing back a madly hacked survivor on a budget are good things. On this your car the second seems very appropriate IMHO. it will be a cool driver with og 1952 body DNA, chassis and VIN without having to sacrifice a million. cool!

I am also building a similar 51 crotch DLX that will get some previous hacks repaired and roll with later og VW fenders aso.

looking forward to see yours rolling soon.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

The dash is once again a permanent part of the car!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

c_wilburn wrote:
Sled,
Thank you for correcting me on color. “All metal” will not be corrected. For example, the apron will still be wrong, the aftermarket exhaust still has dual outlets and therefore I could not justify the cost of a correct one only to modify it anyway. Also rear bumper brackets will be wrong. I’m sure the split police will still be able to identify more discrepancies, so I will not be posting to many pictures. There are some Samba members who really seem to get off in telling others about such things.
As for the dimples, they fit quite well with the multi Filament bulb holders that I am running. They look slightly higher in this picture then they actually are due to the type of picture it is, and there is a certain amount of adjustment still available once we get everything else lined out. I’m sure some split nazi will be glad to tell me exactly how many mm off they are though.

Originally tail lights were lower, the tip of the light housing is about where the fender welt angle is
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Mikeandkristi, already covered, but thanks.
More work on Krampus at the mad geniuses shop, the combination of wrong parts and misalignment ment a bit of trimming to the front end. Donor is from a 57 that someone else is turning into a front engine nostalgia drag car.
Today we plot where the horn grills go.

c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Been awhile since my last update. The rough metal work is pretty much done. Will begin body work and getting everything into one color when the summer car show season winds down. (having too much fun with my bus at the moment)
Mostly I've been gathering parts; popes nose, correct bumpers, clock, switches. I still need a bunch but the list is getting shorter!

Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

This is looking great now!
rlmartinez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Applause Outstanding progress. The car is looking amazing
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Remember seeing this thread when it popped up (I enjoy perusing the split forums you see). Neat to see the car ended up in my neck of the woods! You happen to be working on this around Louisville?
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Dang, looking back on this thread it reminds me of just how bad 2020 has been. I have been gathering parts and pieces for this car as time and funds allow, but since getting it back from getting metal done it has been sitting in the garage at my other house, an hour away.
I now have just about every important part to put it together, however the rear accident was bad enough to damage the original rear cradle and whomever boogered up the rear repair put a replacement in crooked (about 1/2 inch off) so the next step will be to pull the body off and get that fixed. Before that can happen though every one of my other VW's needs a little love, and one or more really will need to get sold to open up the space I need to build and keep this one.
Thankfully it isn't eating anything and I have it safely tucked away, waiting for the time to be right and start on it again.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

c_wilburn wrote:
Dang, looking back on this thread it reminds me of just how bad 2020 has been. I have been gathering parts and pieces for this car as time and funds allow, but since getting it back from getting metal done it has been sitting in the garage at my other house, an hour away.
I now have just about every important part to put it together, however the rear accident was bad enough to damage the original rear cradle and whomever boogered up the rear repair put a replacement in crooked (about 1/2 inch off) so the next step will be to pull the body off and get that fixed. Before that can happen though every one of my other VW's needs a little love, and one or more really will need to get sold to open up the space I need to build and keep this one.
Thankfully it isn't eating anything and I have it safely tucked away, waiting for the time to be right and start on it again.

Patience and focus will get you there. Make a plan. Stick to the plan. It will happen.

It looks great! I love the survivor cars. Their stories are just incredible!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

After over two years sitting in the back of the warehouse, Krampus is off to Danville Alabama for final work and assembly at www.metalmorphosiscars.com
The whole story will unfold on the VW Network, the first episode, which is mostly in this thread already, can be seen here: https://www.thevwnetwork.com/2021/08/the-vw-network-krampus-part-1/
check weekly for updates as we are in the final stages!
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: '52 Split on local CL, what's not correct? Reply with quote

Krampus is, for the most part, back in one piece and ready to go. We got the car back in the summer of 22' and "finished" it in time for my club's show in September. Since then Krampus was shot for a feature in Hayburner magazine (which is already out in the UK, and hopefully will get to the US soon)
Thanks to Unserwerks, Metalmorphosis and Cate Culp Interior, it would still be sitting in the corner without their talent.
The car is now on full air ride from EvaResto, the wheels are from South America and the custom front badge was done by Adam.
It's been a long journey, and I know this car isn't for everyone, but it works for me, and Krampus doesn't actually care what the haters think.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: