Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve adjustment every 3K? Why?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

I had a 93 Honda Del Sol with over 300k and never touched a wrench to it. They really are tough little cars. The interchangeability among the model line is as good or better than VW, you can mix and match engines easily.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Hondas still have solid lifters. At least the last two I owned did. Even after they got away from timing belts.

3,000 mile intervals sounds obsessive.

hondas don't have push rods
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Did I say they did?

OHCs have solid lifters or hydraulic lash adjusters.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...

Last edited by steve244 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

I've done over 300K on numerous Honda's, checked the valves now and then, never ever had to adjust anything. But it's apples vs: oranges comparing it to a flat air cooled engine made from economy materials, water cooled rocker on cam is completely different than pushrods and a bunch of things that expand with heat they are attached to.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Agreed, but the complaint the Germans didn't do it right is harsh.

Changing the HLAs on a Mazda at 125k was a pain compared to adjusting the valves on a Honda.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

If it's stock adjust them at VWs recommended service interval of 6000 miles. If modified check as often as you feel necessary for your application. VW never said adjustment was needed every 3000 miles.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

I check them on my Micro yearly and they seldom need to be touched even after a 8-10000 mile season.
ARR #3
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

What does Chevy suggest for milage intervals
To adjust solid lifters on their small and big blocks? Bet it's close to VW.
ARR #3
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

The 36 hp engine requires valve adjustment that often because the lifters have a flat side on them that runs against a steel block in the case and they do not turn like the later lifters. As far as I know they were the only engines that require the 3K interval.

Remember them? The push rod was pressed into the lifter and you could pull them out through the heads with the rocker shafts off and change them out. Everyone that put major miles on a 36 hp engine had a bucket full of worn out lifters with their pushrods in the corner of the garage.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
If it's stock adjust them at VWs recommended service interval of 6000 miles. If modified check as often as you feel necessary for your application. VW never said adjustment was needed every 3000 miles.

Yes they did go back to page one to see the manual references. They (VW) made the 6k change around 1971 and in a service bulletin established .006 as the setting for all models superseding early information. They did this to avoid all the confusion which is still present it seems. If you don’t run hot you’ll most likely never experience a problem in stock form.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
We bought a new Honda Element in 2004 & after 260,000 miles, I had never adjusted the valves. It was as quiet as the day we bought it. That's American engineering.

Not sure you're serious...

In any case, Honda called for adjustment if necessary every 30k miles. The problem isn't noisy valve trains, but recessed seats. The valves don't close completely. No excessive noise, but the exhaust valves will burn. They need to close completely to cool.

Later Hondas still called for adjustment every 110k miles.

YMMV

I'm serious. When valves wear, the gap widens & you hear that click & yes, the seat deepens & the valves groove but you hear that. If the valve did not completely close, you would lose compression.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

it's a cheep car what do you expect? but if it's built right with the right parts preped right and the right oils it can go much much farther. but if you just build disposable vw engines like most do..adjust away.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
steve244 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
We bought a new Honda Element in 2004 & after 260,000 miles, I had never adjusted the valves. It was as quiet as the day we bought it. That's American engineering.

In any case, Honda called for adjustment if necessary every 30k miles. The problem isn't noisy valve trains, but recessed seats. The valves don't close completely. No excessive noise, but the exhaust valves will burn. They need to close completely to cool.

YMMV

I'm serious. When valves wear, the gap widens & you hear that click & yes, the seat deepens & the valves groove but you hear that. If the valve did not completely close, you would lose compression.

I meant the American engineering bit.

Exhaust valves will require loosening to make a good seal.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

On an air cooled VW normal wear opens the gaps with time - period! If an exhaust starts to tighten up... you are in trouble! Take the head off and replace the exhaust valves NOW! The only way they will tighten up is from the valve stem stretching under the head because it has over heated and is weak. If you just adjust it and go it will not be very long and you will be buying a head, piston and possibly other internal parts.

Other makes of engines may wear differently but that discussion is irrelevant here.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

it was the 1950s....what else would you be doing at the weekend other than 'tinkering' with the car? Laughing

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Anyone that has daily driven an air cooled VW past the venerable 36 hp knows that 3000 mile interval for valve adjustment is excessive. Once the initial break in period is done they just don't change that much. Touching them up every 3rd or 4th oil change is more realistic in my experience. With the lack of quality of the modern valve cover gaskets taking them on and off every 3000 miles will have you chasing leaks perpetually!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
steve244 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

YMMV

I meant the American engineering bit.

Exhaust valves will require loosening to make a good seal.

Von Braun headed the Apollo project, but it was American engineering that got us to the moon. It is still amazing over 50 years later.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Multi staging was a Russian design from 1946, but once you really decide there is more to the world than Olive Garden, you find thought of this in 14th century.

I’ve scoured curricula and found Engineering, but nothing called “ American Engineering”

Does that include Canada ?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

Salad & breadsticks for me! Keep 'em comin'!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve adjustment every 3K? Why? Reply with quote

I "think" we answered the OP's question.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: