Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Well, the time has come for me to tear down my 1600. (or at least build a plan to)
I've got an oil plug leak on the front of my engine that I had Epoxyed over to "Fix" - which was temporary, but I think the time has come to take it to the machine shop and have it drilled out and fixed properly.

That said, my 1600 doesn't have that many miles on it. Over the last few years, although I didn't track exactly, I'm sure I've not put 10,000 miles on it. There seems to be something wrong more often than not...

But, I've been chasing those gremlins and handling them accordingly through the years... Dive a little, chase gremlins, Drive a little, Chase...

My question is, how big can I go, maintain good MPG, and use most of what I've got already, like the Single Port Heads, and the PICT 30-3.

Years ago I was following DB&HVW's Mileage motor, and fell in love with the idea
https://indd.adobe.com/view/cae93716-d479-4176-8bc3-495d62660628

I'm curious if I can swap a crank, cam, P&C's and go a bit bigger, but still have the reliability and torque of the single port and run a single carb.

Viable?
1641 should be easy, but not sure it's worth it.
What about 1745 with the 5 1/2 pully etc of the mileage motor?

Silly or super doable?
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Looks like, according to this article, 1745 with a Solex PICT 30-3 could work... Might be a touch small ...

1745/56.57= 30.846738554

https://www.doghouserepair.com/store/item/11839/wsc-what-size-carb-for-what-size-vw-engine-formula/
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Might be better to go up to the H30/31 for the bigger venturi.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Might be better to go up to the H30/31 for the bigger venturi.

Do you know where to confirm the Venturi size?
I thought they were the same...

I'd want to stick with my 30-3 because I just had it fully redone by Tim at VolkBitz - and it's in Top form...

It looks like From this thread, the H30/31 does have a slightly larger Venturi, but I can't find the numbers: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

The only way you will make an engine like that do any significant improvement of fuel efficiency is to increase total gearing so the engine revs slower, so you prevent it from zipping from the main circuit.
It would be better to stay 1600 and improve the efficiency of the package.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The only way you will make an engine like that do any significant improvement of fuel efficiency is to increase total gearing so the engine revs slower, so you prevent it from zipping from the main circuit.
It would be better to stay 1600 and improve the efficiency of the package.

Got it, so without a "freeway Flier" you're saying it's not worth it.
Is that right?
Maybe I'm confused by what you mean by "Zipping from the main Circuit"

Appreciate the feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

You are correct. If you do as you laid out (with the 1745 and 30 pict carb) you will pull the engines torque area downwards, which means that you will need to bring the cruise rpm down also in order to benefit from it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

The intake manifold is limiting breathing for sure, so increasing the displacement just moves power & efficiency down to a lower rpm.
A larger intake is an easy gain but that will need some kind of larger carburetor also.

With the intake and carburetor as a limitation you might actually want to go smaller CC.
The 1300cc was known for very good mpg, but not much for acceleration Laughing
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Actually, a 1776 with such a set up can run surprisingly well, sort of like a 1200 on steroids. It does run out of breath very soon. But if done as I wrote it can work well. a "freeway flyer" transmission is almost a must.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Appreciate all the feedback.

I like doing 90 on the highway when needed, and don't want to lose that top-end zip.

As it is, the car is really a fun drive. I'd love to just get a bit more MPG out of it, and since I've got to split the case to repair a leaky oil galleys plug, I figured now would be the time to upgrade.
I don't see myself spending even more money swapping the transaxle to a freeway-Flier.

That said, I guess I'll focus on a couple of things to maybe just try to eke out a few MPG with it as a 1600 and not try to get too fancy.

35mpg would be a dream.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

I would not personally waste my money on a so called "freeway flier" as they are nothing more than a late model type 1 transaxle with a fancy, feel good name and a big price tag. Just run taller tires if you want higher gearing.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

HA! Yeah, I've heard similar - and that there's no real spec for what a Freeway Flier is - could be any number of switched up gear ratios i guess.

Funny you mention running taller tires, I'm all stock, and maybe because so many bugs are lowered, people think mine is lifted!

oprn wrote:
I would not personally waste my money on a so called "freeway flier" as they are nothing more than a late model type 1 transaxle with a fancy, feel good name and a big price tag. Just run taller tires if you want higher gearing.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:
I like doing 90 on the highway when needed, and don't want to lose that top-end zip.

As it is, the car is really a fun drive. I'd love to just get a bit more MPG out of it

Let's be honest. The ONLY way you're gonna get better MPG is to drive slower and I mean 60-65 MPH. If you want to spit in my face and say you won't give up driving 90 MPH then your only lying to yourself about wanting better MPG.

No reason a 1600 SP can't get 40 MPG if you drive like grandma.

The Hot VW's milage article wasn't about getting great gas milage. It was about selling parts.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The Hot VW's milage article wasn't about getting great gas milage. It was about selling parts.

As they all are! With just enough truth in it to tantalize the magazine buyer into buying a copy!
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

@ vwracerdave, I said "When I have to"
I drove pretty economically. Very grandmotherly, actually.

But being able to go fast when needed is a safety thing, just like having great breaks. I don't want to lose the ability to go at speed when needed.
If building a bigger CC motor, but the small carb lowers my range of speeds and conditions I can drive in - and top-end speeds - then it's not worth it.

Last I checked I was getting about 33 MPG on long trips and less in the city.
35 would be great, 40 would be better... But I'm not about to rebuild my whole car for the pursuit.

Hope that makes sense

vwracerdave wrote:
J-Gaz. wrote:

As it is, the car is really a fun drive. I'd love to just get a bit more MPG out of it

Let's be honest. The ONLY way you're gonna get better MPG is to drive slower and I mean 60-65 MPH. If you want to spit in my face and say you won't give up driving 90 MPH then your only lying to yourself about wanting better MPG.

No reason a 1600 SP can't get 40 MPG if you drive like grandma.

J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Since I've got to pull it apart to fix the oil galley plug, Could it make sense to put in a "cheater" cam, and ratio rockers?

I'm not going to make the engine any bigger, but figure I may as well see about any opportunity to upgrade while its apart.

any idea of what that might do to performance and MPG?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Plenty. But you wohnt like it.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Not worth it? Why wouldn't I like it - tell me more.

Alstrup wrote:
Plenty. But you wohnt like it.

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Improving such an engine is not a simple "take it apart and put it together again with a different cam" Well, you can, but it wohnt get you far.

There are two ways of making an engine more fuel efficient:
1, the Berg way. Making the engine so low compression that it looses its grunt and you thereby can lean it out because it cant make much power. (You can basicly think VW 30 & 36 hp.)
2. You can make the engine efficient and control both ignition and fuel induction better and thereby get more power and better efficiency.
The latter can, in 90% of the cases NOT be done in an average garage. It requires machinery and knowledge to get you there, which very few have, because most are "only" interested in making cheap power and be done with it. That said, if you are willing to send your heads out for detailing, Get your rotating assemly balanced (all of it) swop the cam, improve your ignition, detailing your oil system and either buy a better muffler or cut your own open and redo it inside, we can set you up to get a very efficient and quite powerfull (for the parts involved) little 1600. Somewhere around a true 65 hp and 125 maybe 130 Nm torque. A stock 1600 sgl port is rated 47 hp (Din) Back in the days I saw them pull 46 to 50 hp in stock form. so the above will be a true 15 hp increase with a 3-400 rpm wider powerband.
But thatīs what it takes to do it when you want to keep it basicly stock on the outside. There are no shortcuts, apart from swopping to a set of twin Solex, Kadrons or even ICTīs if you have the knowledge to trim those suckers.

This below is a stock 1600 sgl port industrial engine which was prepared for the street, where I gave it a basic 3 angle seat job, dressed the intake valves, increased the CR to 8-1 and replaced the carb flange to accept a 34 Solex. Stock Leistritz or Ernst muffler. (I canīt recall. Its been a while)
All that gave us 6-7 hp and 300ish rpm wider powerband.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PiCT 30-3 carb & Single Port Heads - How Big Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed response.
That's a lot of work for 6-7 hp.

Any mods or updates I should consider while the engine is apart?
Sounds like it's not worth it to put in a cam or ratio rockers.
What about full-flow/ remote oil filter?

I'm just asking because it's coming apart and I may as use the opportunity to add any performance or mods to help "Bullit Proof" it.

If the cheater cam and ratio rockers would net me 10 more horsepower and not impact MPG, and get more "Fun" driving, or even more power up mountain passes that would be cool.

Also if it got me better MPG, I'd be into it - but sounds like it's not worth the hassle.

When I first built my motor in 2008 I believe that by just using the parts as they came from the parts house, when I measured 7.1:1 CR and on the #3&3 cylinders 7.4:1

From one of my posts: May 20th, 2008
J-Gaz. wrote:
Anyone follow this old link or care???
well, I said I'd update you and here it is.
It took so long because I did almost a full build and then found my case was bad, so I had to get a new case and re-do everything. so here are my numbers.

Deck height .072 across all 4, I think it's a little more because of my use of permetex and paper gaskets.

and I cc'd the heads using tranny oil and a syringe with a piece of plexi. the results were close
1= 54.2 cc's
2= 51.2 cc's
3= 51.2
4= 53.8
So with a little room for error, being that this was my first cc job, I used the calculator posted above and the largest cc and got 7.1:1 CR, and on the #3&3 cylinders 7.4:1
at this point, I am not sure how to calculate the % variation between the cylinders. I am hoping for no more than a 3% difference on the premise that 1-2% is good for race engines, so 3% should be cool for a daily cruiser.
thanks all for your help.
any more pointers, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
Justin.

Alstrup wrote:
Improving such an engine is not a simple "take it apart and put it together again with a different cam" Well, you can, but it won't get you far.

There are two ways of making an engine more fuel efficient:
1, the Berg way. Making the engine so low compression that it loses its grunt and you thereby can lean it out because it can't make much power. (You can basically think VW 30 & 36 hp.)
2. You can make the engine efficient and control both ignition and fuel induction better and thereby get more power and better efficiency.
The latter can, in 90% of the cases NOT be done in an average garage. It requires machinery and knowledge to get you there, which very few have, because most are "only" interested in making cheap power and be done with it. That said, if you are willing to send your heads out for detailing, Get your rotating assemly balanced (all of it) swop the cam, improve your ignition, detailing your oil system and either buy a better muffler or cut your own open and redo it inside, we can set you up to get a very efficient and quite powerfull (for the parts involved) little 1600. Somewhere around a true 65 hp and 125 maybe 130 Nm torque. A stock 1600 sgl port is rated 47 hp (Din) Back in the days I saw them pull 46 to 50 hp in stock form. so the above will be a true 15 hp increase with a 3-400 rpm wider powerband.
But thatīs what it takes to do it when you want to keep it basicly stock on the outside. There are no shortcuts, apart from swopping to a set of twin Solex, Kadrons or even ICTīs if you have the knowledge to trim those suckers.

This below is a stock 1600 sgl port industrial engine which was prepared for the street, where I gave it a basic 3 angle seat job, dressed the intake valves, increased the CR to 8-1 and replaced the carb flange to accept a 34 Solex. Stock Leistritz or Ernst muffler. (I canīt recall. Its been a while)
All that gave us 6-7 hp and 300ish rpm wider powerband.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: